PDA

View Full Version : Color Girl

Sandi
06-29-2001, 04:39 PM
<b>What:</b> Soft Pastels on 19x25 Black Canson Paper. 1997-8ish (too senile to remember exact date).
<b>When:</b> My first life drawing class at Jr. college.
<b>Goals:</b> Forms, overlapping, foreshortening, & color. Oh yes! And to fit a 5'5" tall person into a 19"x25" format. lol
<b>Technique:</b> Semi-blind contour application of line and color.
<b>Self-discovery:</b> I exaggerate elements I find interesting. I LOVE color.
<b>Difficult areas:</b> The head. I ran out of time and grabbed a rust color. WHY??? It didn't 'unite' with the piece. It was repulsive. Years later, I realize that perhaps because I didn't know how to lead the eye back into the painting, the rust was my intuitive way of suddenly stopping the eye and backing it up to the good parts of the painting. An uuuurch if you will. It works! Of course, something else would work better, and I'm all ears. But, in the meantime, I'm stoked that it works even if it doesn't.

I loved this lesson, and I feel I achieved all of the requirements. I feel <b>I also discovered:</b> lumiosity and expression.
The light created a fascinating shadow under her hand... I exaggerated the 'eerie" feeling.

<b>Questions:</b>
Do you agree with this following statement? If so, why? How would you change the work in order to change the subject? Is it stiff for a first timers work? How about for an old timer's work?

Statement: the figures were stiff and the rendering lacked variety and made every surface look like polished plastic and the general direction was labored and not very imaginative.

<b>What are your own thoughts and comments?</b>

ZOTMA
06-29-2001, 06:47 PM
first of all, thank you for the explanation. As stated in other threads, stating your intent and asking questions of the viewer does help focus the comments. Now I have to flip back and forth to remember what you wanted.......

I think the color application is imaginative. It does make the surface look polished (is that a bad thing, were you going for realism....with those colors?). I think it's successful in that luminosity/eerie feeling. Doesn't look over-labored in the areas completed IMO but I'm no expert, just my view.

Can I say personally I think this is a very interesting piece and did you take this in a direction with other work? I could see an interesting body of work devoted to this style. Again IMO.

Sandi
06-29-2001, 07:24 PM
Thank you, Zotma. I appreciate your comments. :)

Yes, there are a few more, in that vein. But all with variances. A mentor friend of mine said the same exact thing as you. He wants me to continue with these, only now uniting backgrounds with them, frame them and start showing the good ones. Unfortunatly, I work this year during the life drawing sessions at the club. :( BUT, yes! As soon as I am able to, I plan on doing just that. Thanks for the extra bit of confirmative push. :)

During my jc class, my next step after the one above, involved merging a Live Model with a toy critter, keeping the same element goals in mind. I chose a white ceramic frog.
What: Soft Pastels on black Canson, 19x25
Goal: Merging of two seperate enities into one being.
Self-discovery: I loved pushing the foreshortening and luminosity. The color suggested itself. I wnet with the flow.
Difficulties: Time ran out b4 finishing the face. Also, fitting the live model onto the paper again. (didn't use viewfinder).
(please forgive the bad photo again)

"Princess"
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/skirkart/skirk/FrogLadymed72400.jpg

I feel the same elements were applied and successfully used. So did the Dean. She awarded me with a cash award. :)

TeAnne
06-30-2001, 12:27 PM
This is a very similiar pose to the charcoal I did. :D I love the colours Sandi :) What happened to your evil twin I saw a minute ago.? LOLOL She looks cool as a tinyhead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2001/flash.gif

Sandi
06-30-2001, 09:21 PM
Thank you, Te. I appreciate your comments. :)
I agree. It is very similar to your pose up in the special critique area. It's a great one for stretching the elements, which must be why the instructors enjoy torturing us with it. lol.

I was going to use it too, then decided to go with some bright colors from one of my doodles. It DOES make for a really KEWL tinyhead. :) I was so tickled to see it in the choices.

Sandi
06-30-2001, 09:58 PM
Here's some more of my figures from the same time and place. I'll try to keep the notes short.

<b>What:</b> Charcoal on strathmore.
<b>Goals:</b> Overlapping of forms, foreshortening, contra costra, negative space, and how the form relates to it's enviroment. (sitting IN the chair as opposed to sitting ON the chair).
<b>Technique:</b> More semi-blind contour drawing. (My MAIN love. Read my profile on my website!).
<b>Self-Discovery:</b> I LOVE Vine Charcoal and regular rich dark and heavy charcoal, a little too much. lol
<b>Difficulties:</b> I need more time in order to not hurry parts such as the hands, face. They were easy to block in during the Vine charcoal stage, but difficult to define in such a short time with the main charcoal.

http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/skirkart/skirk/Daydreamer72400.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Well, I can't keep the descriptions short. lol For those who have BEEN to school, I'm sure you'll recognize the other elements of particular study in the other ones. However, if anybody would like me to discuss them here, I'm more than happy too! (obviously! lol. I LOVED my class. I want more more more! But I have to wait! wait! wait! aaacckkk!!! Meanwhile, I continue life drawing SESSIONS, which many are also drawn from, whenever I can work it into my schedule.)

There's also a chisled cement sculpture (actually 4 sculptures or more, but I haven't included 3 on site) from Life Sculpture.

etc...

(My site, consists of my journey of art. I was called a liar, to put it bluntly, by same person I mentioned in my first post. I hope this explains why I'm rambling on. In any case, this 'dispute' opened the door for me to brag about my classes which I loved dearly. (not bragging about my art, but the challenges of tackling the elements.) Fair warning for the next person! lol
Hmmmm, I think I see why no one ever asks me about my grandson and his art. Oh well.. Your loss!!!!) No apologies from this ol gal. Life's too short to hide enthusiasm.