PDA

View Full Version : square pastel paper pads

Katie Black
08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I only like working on square paper, that's it. I can't for the life of me find any pastel paper pads, that are square...does anyone happen to know of where I can find any..I'm thinking around 12 x 12", but at this point any size, anything really...thanks

getdusty
08-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Katie, in all my perusing online, I have not seen pads in square format. I think pastelbord comes in a square, but no pads that I've seen. Hopefully someone else has come across them.

NRC
08-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Have never tried these papers. A couple might work if one could be very direct with few layers. And don't know how well they'd stand up to adding a pastel ground over (because it starts wet).

--Delta Art & Drafting carries this:

Big White Bee Black Charcoal 50/DW/64# 9" X 9"
Part #:
56BEE204CB50909
Our neutral pH, 64 lb, archival quality charcoal paper is made with 25% cotton. This exquisite jet black sheet has a strong laid finish which is excellent for use with all dry media, particularly charcoal and pastels. Heavyweight recycled cover can be drawn on or painted on. 50 sheets per double wire bound pad.

pastelstudio.ca offers this:

Pastel Studio custom handmade sketchbooks and drawing pads are available on request. Choose from any combination of paper and pastel surfaces and a customized pad will be spiral bound with black Canal Paper cover and rigid back. Glassine interleaves can be inserted between pages for added protection against pastel smudging and pigment transfer.
Ask for the paper size and quantity you require and we will fulfill your request.

http://www.rexart.com/strathmore-hemp-charcoal-paper.html

These pads are made with 75% post-consumer waste fiber, and 25% hemp, a tree-friendly fiber. The paper has a traditional laid finish and provides an ideal foundation for charcoal and pastel. Also suitable for oil crayon and other dry media. Acid free. Comes in 12 x 12

robertsloan2
08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Nell, those sound great - and that custom pastel pad place is awesome. Someone on another thread was asking about pastel journals with interleaved glassine. Leaves me wondering if they have sanded papers!

Katie Black
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks getdusty
Thank you NRC...you have made me feel happy today..I will order some of the strathmore paper..Gracias!

JPQ
08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
At least earlier Daler Rowney made squaare oen watercolor pad whih used made pastel work. not much layers but blended some colours one it. and Also Fabriano made such thing but i dont remember is rough or not. i say this becouse i use sometimes aquarelle paper for pastels.

neddelta
08-23-2014, 02:37 AM
For sanded surfaces (not in pads), I'm a fan of Multimedia Artboard Pastel Artist Panels (thin and rigid, so great for plain air) in square formats (you can get white or black). Dakota carries them in 8x8 and 12x12, as does the manufacturer (http://shop.multimediaartboard.com/category.sc?categoryId=8). You can contact the company to order custom sizes (I got 14x14).

Best, Evelyn