PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt Violet Hue

sidbledsoe
08-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I love real CV but the cost is way high so I use a hue, I have two, Winton, a mix of manganese violet and ultramarine, and Charvin which is dioxazine purple red shade. Comparing them, the Winton is redder and duller and not as strong tinter as the Charvin which is stronger, bluer and more chromatic.
I kinda like the Winton better as a replacement, I want the redder color.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2014/112587-IMG_0383.JPG

So just wondering if anyone has anything that you think is a better replacement hue?

Gigalot
08-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Manganese violet PV16 is a good replacement, it is redder than real Cobalt violet deep. But Cobalt violet light, a pink version of CV is irreplaceable. Ultramarine Rose can be used as a nice paint, but it is duller in tints, and do not mix with yellow.

sidbledsoe
08-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Manganese violet PV16 is a good replacement, it is redder than real Cobalt violet deep.
that must be why Winton has some ultraviolet added.

But Cobalt violet light, a pink version of CV is irreplaceable.
that is what other sources say that it is a color that can't be exactly mixed.
It is supposed to be such a weak tinter that you shouldn't use titanium with it and should use zinc or a mixing white, because titanium will shift the color and overpower it and look "chalky".
I might just take the hit and buy a tube of the real deal but would love to know what is the best hue out there.
One thing I use it for is to glaze shadow areas, the Winton hue is best because it is not real strong but the Charvin hue has too much tint power for my liking.

Lana537
08-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I am planning on ordering a 40mL tube of Cobalt Violet from
Blue Ridge when I run out of the discontinued Winsor Newton I have now.
The price is only $23.00---much less than other brands. Maybe worth a try?

Happy painting~~

Lana