PDA

View Full Version : Spray question

MJGresko
08-19-2014, 06:13 PM
I know this has been discussed over and over but I am having major issues AGAIN spraying my Indian piece. The first time I sprayed, on the 4th and final coat I got droplets. I sanded and tried again and got more droplets. After a week I sanded again, bought a new can and voila more freaking droplets. I'm using the matte finish. I'm seriously thinking that I may sand again and try the satin finish because I figure it can't be any worse than the result I'm getting now. What could possibly happen? I believe in the beginning when I was ignorant to spraying I mixed these 2 finishes and didn't have any issues. Has anyone had actual issues or just believe that you might have them. I really wanted to enter this piece in the local art show but if I can't get some kind of finish on here that doesn't have drips I might as well forget it. Very angry right now.:crying:

Foxyheart2002
08-19-2014, 07:45 PM
I found that my droplets (if you have determined it is not the nozzle) was from my finger. The spray would hit it too and form droplets and then the next spray behind it would carry those droplets onto the board. I spray more upright now with my finger drawn back a little more and spray in spurts.

Foxyheart2002
08-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Oh, I also spray my last passes further out from the board and that creates a rougher finish so less imperfections show.

ggart4u
08-19-2014, 08:03 PM
The droplets I had weren't from my finger... the matte just didn't work for me. Neither did the gloss. I did a lot of tests with 10 different products and sent the results to Ampersand. Hopefully, they will come to a good conclusion with Krylon and how they make the product.

MJGresko
08-19-2014, 09:08 PM
The droplets aren't from my fingers. The board is upright and I'm spraying from a foot away. The issue is the can not me. My question was if anyone has mixed finishes with terrible results.Ginger I hope they come up with a solution although it won't help me with this board. I saw some other brands at Michaels last night. I don't remember the name but the can was around $30. I was afraid to spend that much money on a can that might have the same kind of issues. There is not enough time to redo the board so I have traced my images and I'm going to try it in Pastel. Won't be as eyecatching but at least I don't need to spray.

Foxyheart2002
08-19-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry, since you had mentioned the problems with the droplets, that that was one of the issues you were having.

PaintDog
08-20-2014, 12:45 AM
So sorry you're having such nasty troubles with spraying, Marcia!!

If that $30 can at Michaels is Lascaux, it's worth it. That's what I use and have been very happy with it. I like the semi-matte (semi-gloss). I can't say what might happen if you spray it on top of what you've already done though.

Mixing brands is not a good idea and I'd worry about even mixing gloss over matte within the same line of sprays. Lorna had long, thin cracks show up on the surface of a board on which she had mixed sprays.

MJGresko
08-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Ann, I don't think it was Lascuax. I have 2 weeks to figure something out. I wonder if the cracks showed up immediately or over time? My thought was to just get it to the point that it was presentable to show and not offer it for sale. I also thought about buying a different nozzle. I saw online that they have them for graffiti artists. Ughhh this is so frustrating!!!

ggart4u
08-20-2014, 08:55 AM
The Lascaux I had was just a fixative... not a varnish. Made no difference. It looked exactly like the board you had. If you expected it to smooth out fingerprints or anything else... it didn't. There also seemed to be a difference between the acrylic sealers and the varnishes. I also found two kinds of red caps (spray nozzle). It was thought that the special red cap could help prevent sputters on other types of sealers. I can't know. The regular red cap is just that. It's like the black and white ones. The special red cap is put on to the can differently and I was not able to interchange it with other cans.

MJGresko
08-20-2014, 09:02 AM
I just reread Lorna's post from a few years ago about the cracks that appeared on a piece she did and sprayed with 2 different kinds of spray. Apparently it had been fine for quite a while before the cracks appeared. I may just sand it and spray with the satin finish anyway. If I can get it to be dripless I'll just display and not sell. But the next piece I do I am going to have the auto body guys spray for me and if it turns out good that is where my spraying will be happening. I'm done with Krylon for sure.

Crias
08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Lorna has had a bad result from mixing varnishes with some cracking, but I think it showed up much later after she varnished (months to a year), not right away. I have mixed varnishes and (knock on wood) to date not had any issues. I have done satin over matte with the uv archival Krylon after matte went cloudy upon spraying. It saved the board. I have gotten splatters with the satin too though. Like Sue, I do my final spray coat out further from the board. It leaves a slight texture, but hides imperfections better. Framing behind glass also helps hide varnish imperfections. Johnathan W. has used rubbing alcohol very carefully to remove some large runs on his work that he was not able to sand out. You might message him on Facebook for more details if you think that might fix your problems.

ggart4u
08-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Jonathan suggested that I use rubbing alcohol (oh, so sparingly) on a Q-Tip to dab at the globs. When I hit ink... I stopped. My stag art was covered in globs and I had to work on it like mad. It was standing upright and I was far enough away. We definitely need something!

MJGresko
08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks Cathy and Ginger. When this disaster started I had 2 small areas with drips. It has now spread to various parts of the whole board. It is sickening. I don't know Johnathan W. Is that what he goes under on Facebook? JohnathanW? Cathy, I found him on Facebook and sent him a message. Thanks!

lorna12
08-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Marcia...Cathy was right, the cracks in mine didn't show up for over a year. I think I may have sprayed with two different KINDS of Krylon, one being a UV art kind and one being just a clear coat and I think that's why they weren't compatible. I have used satin over matte and have not had any issues with it.

PaintDog
08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Not that it really helps Marcia in this situation, but I noticed Ginger mentioned the Lascaux fixative. They also make a sealer/varnish, that's what I use. That's the expensive stuff, $25 - $30 a can.

I hope you can get the board looking acceptable for the show, Marcia! I think you have a good plan of attack, in the show, but not for sale.