PDA

View Full Version : An Enterprising apology.

Cuddles!
06-29-2001, 03:10 PM
:rolleyes:
I apologise to the moderators. I tried to post this picture under my previous post, Enterprising Challenge, but my computer (3 yrs. old) was incapable of presenting a similar editing pane, when I selected "edit this message" from that previous post's message page.

So, I'm posting it as another topic. I am sorry if this is wasteful, bandwidth wise.

I wouldn't have brought this up if I didn't have an idea or two percolating in my mind. This is just a basic costume idea sketch. It incorporates the same kind of approach used in STIII:Wrath of Kahn. It implies a kind of well-organized, well-funded organization that would have a real designer of their military uniforms. The white areas would be horizontal, parallel, padded "pillows" of stitched fabric, a little like soft, tightly woven burlap. The red parts might be of very short velvet pile. The belt would be something that looks like metal but isn't. The insignia are made of something like synthetic alabaster. I don't know what to do with the pants and the boots yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2001/enterprisecost.two.1.jpg

Boiling the design process down to one sentence could look like, "Design is making ten different versions of an idea based on different parameters for each version."

My next version will assume the DISorganized society (ST:First Contact) is the one that spawns the organization that builds 1701 and its crew compliment.

I haven't begun to tackle reverse-engineering tricorders, phasers and shuttlecraft (wish I had a copy of Rhino...) but I'll get to it.

Unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

Cuddles!

Ron.

Shehaub
06-29-2001, 07:51 PM
Hmm.. for the boots, I would go with something similar to the belt in looks (not sure what material to use for that), but keep the color black to match the pants, maybe with a reinforced toe? The fabric for the shirt (sleeves and body) and pants should probably match. I would go with a blend of poly something for durability, or maybe a nylon blend. Either way, it would be a pretty tight weave and have a slight shimmer, but not shine. The only real problem with that is static electricity builds up in both. I don't think it would be enough to be a big problem.

I have rhino, but I wouldnt know where to begin to do the tricorders and such. I think you can download a limited save trial version from their site. Give it a shot.. I dare ya!

sherville
06-30-2001, 03:28 AM
Hiya Cuddles!
I would probably keep plain black boots - or possibly they could have a small buckle thing going on, I've seen something like that in men's shoe shops so it must be normal...
I kind of prefer plain black though, wouldn't want the outfit to be too cluttered with accesories.
Yeah! You should download the Rhino trial and have a crack at making these yourself - you'll probably get a kick out of seeing your creations come alive - especially if you create them yourself :)
Theres also a FREE, yes, FREE 3D program out there that it really quite good for something that is free, it's called Milkshape. I've only used it a few times and it looked exactly like Max except more basic.

Cuddles!
06-30-2001, 05:11 AM
The boots and how they fit with the pants is hard. The way they did it with Kirk was unique and sort of silly looking. But it fit. I like the way they did it on 1701-D with the elastic things that drape around the arch of the boot and keep the trousers snug to the calf. I'd like to do that with the basic black shoes we are used to.

This is kind of based upon the pictures I've seen of the undergarments that make up a space suit. I also recall that the original Zephram Cochran wore an orange flight suit much like this. So, the flight suit idea would be the most basic, the most "slap together what we have in storage" ethic. I suspect it was more improvised than anything else. This is based upon the latest version of Zephram Cochran, the drunk.

I imagine the engineer's version would be dirtier and there would be another belt or two to hold more tools.

I tried to suggest those kinds of sleeves that are knitted to conform to the wrist and I imagined a blue-black quasi-leather short-workboot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2001/enterprisecost.three.2jpg

Cuddles!
07-23-2001, 01:16 AM
The first previews are out. It looks like they reverse engineered The Next Generation costumes and ignored the "sixties" styles from Star Trek. This is sleeker, and better looking. Sophisticated. But I think this is their biggest flaw.

So much for my fantasy.

:rolleyes:

Ron.

Einion
07-23-2001, 03:32 PM
I thought James T. Kirk was the first captain of the Enterprise (or the second depending on which way you take the pilot) not the third.

God I thought this was dumb idea when I first read about it... they even shot down the whole premise in a throwaway comment in the last season of Voyager. Scott Bakula deserves better...

OK, rant over.:evil:

Einion

dr strangelove
07-28-2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Einion
I thought James T. Kirk was the first captain of the Enterprise (or the second depending on which way you take the pilot) not the third.

Was the 2nd I think, but will be 3rd at the start of the next season...