PDA

View Full Version : Looking for battery led lights to showcase artwork

annette71
08-17-2014, 02:26 AM
Hi there... i'm looking for battery (cordless) led lights to showcase my paintings in a show... the paintings will be exhibited on easels (not a wall), and i need to give each painting its own light source. I have seen on amazon some led lights that can be used for that, one of them has clips that you can attach to the frame of the painting, but the reviews are not all good for this kind of light... has anyone had experience with these lights... i want to buy something that will provide decent lighting... my paintings size go from 11x14 to 24x28 inches.

Thanks!

Annette

Colorix
08-19-2014, 03:43 PM
If you choose led lights, make sure that the Colour Rendering Indes (CRI) is above 90%. If not, your paintings will look greyed. Leds are getting better CRI-wise, but I still recommend halogen as the CRI of halogen is 100%.

robertsloan2
08-19-2014, 06:32 PM
That is really good to know in general. I haven't tried a halogen light and have worked in various indoor lighting from Daylight lamps to warm incandescent - and then been delighted with how it looks in cool daylight.

westcoast_Mike
08-19-2014, 07:18 PM
LED's struggle with red's. They have gotten better and several have a CRI in the 90's. You have to take this with a grain of salt in some cases though. Some manufacturers are averaging out the CRI for each color to arrive at their published value. They do have advantages over halogen in that they don't need to warm up and they last longer.

Here is an article from CNET that talks about it.
http://www.cnet.com/news/shining-a-light-on-high-cri-led-bulbs/

annette71
08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the input... i bought one i thought would work, and i tried it last night. It works well and helps the painting come to life in a dark setting... i will check the CRI... :)