PDA

View Full Version : Beware the scam!

tulabula
08-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Well I had a woman find me on my website and inquire about purchasing 2 paintings. over the next two weeks we spoke over email about the paintings, what inspired me etc.
She said she wanted to buy them and mailed me a check. When it arrived it was for more than twice the amount of the paintings. BIG red flag!!!!!!!!
I took it to my bank and they agreed it was almost 100% sure it was fraud. said there was nothing they could do.
Fortunately I was smart enough to not ship the paintings until money was in the bank.
I emailed the person back and they have not responded to the email as expected. I will take all the info I have to the police and file a report but was told there is not much they can do.
Just a warning to you all, it looked legitimate but was not....
BEWARE

Colorix
08-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the warning, Laurie. So glad you came through it without a loss!

Paypal is said to be safer.

tulabula
08-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Thanks Charlie!

getdusty
08-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Laurie, so glad that the only loss was the loss of a sale (that wasn't real anyway, apparently). Smart thinking on your part.

tulabula
08-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Thank you Peg and yes Charlie, from now on paypal!

Donna T
08-12-2014, 04:31 PM
This is so scary! Thanks for reporting that you out-smarted yet another scammer!

robertsloan2
08-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Glad you suspected and avoided the problem! Go you, losing a fake sale is no loss at all. Someone real will buy the paintings.

pastel65
08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Just this past Saturday one of my fellow pastel students was telling the class that her mother did a reverse search on her watercolor art and found out someone was passing off several of her paintings as her own and had done mugs, Tshirts, etc. using her paintings. They also found a woman in India who had taken her art and used on pillows to sell. They tracked down other artist in same situation by doing the reverse lookup on other art items for sale by this thief and they all had their work removed from the "thief's online store". She was told nothing could be done about woman in India. They were told suing would not be worth it. She usually uses watermarks but forgot on these few.

It's sad that you have to be so cautious. Pinterest also looks like a place where copyright issues are a regular event.

Pam :wave:

tulabula
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
It is so sad that you have to be so careful these days
Thank you Robert and Donna.
Pam, that is so scary! Makes me want to pull everything offline but then how do you get your work seen?
I am glad your Mom was at least able to stop the scammers online selling.

bluebird70
08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
I have run into this scam repeatedly. Two red flags to watch out for are 1) The English is broken and the wording is not grammatically correct. Ex One person had been to my website and wanted to buy four of my "product" and would pay by master credit card. 2) One man would send me a check and use his own shippers. I would pay the shippers, deduct the price of my paintings and send the rest back to him. I contacted my bank and they checked out four banks that the check had gone through before they discovered that the check had been stolen. So remember the old addage that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.