PDA

View Full Version : Free website for artist

Maxime Thiffault
08-09-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm now planning to rebuilt my website but ideally for free. I'm searching for website I can built in myself and ideally have a store section. If I can only pay to get a nice domain name it would be nice too.

I heard often devian art but not quite sure I like it.
I also found www.e-monsite.com and I really like what you can achieve there.

I want to have your tought about those or any other ideas. I'm actually paying 25$/month and i'm not selling enough so I want a cheaper alternative.

Thank you for your time.

ggart4u
08-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I always find that the less you pay - especially if you want a store front - the less options you'll get. I pay for mine. Or, adversely, you get a bunch of ads on your website and there's nothing you can do it about it.
I do not have a store front but have considered it. Not enough to pay for the extra $$ yet. I know some people use third party outlets like Zazzle, Etsy, etc. I would check out the pros and cons on them too.

SandeVBL
08-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I have mine on weebly.com - you can do free or a few different levels of paid sites. It's a drag and drop site and pretty easy to manage and set up. You can also purchase a domain name so it doesn't say weebly on the end.
Since I haven't sold a thing yet I do the free one just to have some place to show work.

PaintDog
08-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Wordpress.com is free and they might have a no frills store "plug in". If not, then as Ginger said, you can set up an Etsy shop and link to it from your web site. With Etsy you list originals, prints, etc. and send the items to your buyer. Zazzle is only for merchandise with your work on it and they handle the printing/shipping. There's also Fine Art America for higher-end type prints (no mugs, t-shirts, tote bags or stuff like that). They handle the printing/shipping also.

You definitely want to get your own domain name and set it to forward to whichever service you end up using. That way you would have something like www.maximethiffault.com instead of maximethiffault.weebly.com or maximethiffault.wordpress.com

Foxyheart2002
08-10-2014, 01:05 AM
I use tripod.lycos.com. You can use your own HTML skills or use their templates. It is (I think) about $8.00 a month if you do not want ads. You can buy your own domain name and use it (if they host it for you for about $25 a year for the name renewal each year.) Mine is http://sues-art.com. I built it myself from HTML. It needs work.........

scratchmaster
08-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I prefer hover.com for registering domains. They are about as cheap as I've seen, their service has been good, and they don't try to sell me anything else. I use bluehost.com for my hosting because it isn't expensive (maybe $15/mo?) and it's super easy to set things up. For one price I can set up as many email addresses as I want, on as many domains as I want, and Wordpress installations take about 5 minutes. I can also set up plain HTML pages if I want to.

goatmilksoapgoddess
08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Wordpress is the only free site I ever used that I like. I don't have a store setup on it. I also have 2 paid sites, Yahoo small business is 12.99/mo and you can do just about anything with it. That pays for an actual domain, so nobody can tell you are hosting with Yahoo. I also use Artspan (POD) mainly to get prints for myself. It is about as cheap as you can get giclee prints, particularly if you order several at once, paying only one shipping charge for them. I just knock my price down to almost nothing, so I am basically only paying for the paper, ink, and shipping charges. After I have ordered my own prints, I change the price back to what I regularly charge. Sorry, I don't remember how much they charge per month because I paid a year in advance.

Let us know what service you end up using.

Maxime Thiffault
08-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Big Thank you all!!! I started to check this out. I think i'll have to compare +/- to every ones.

Maxime Thiffault
09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I think i'll go with the site i round ''e-monsite.com". This one reaches most of my needs.

For those who use Fine Art America( the one i prefer). Dors it work well? Are you selling? Any problems? Till know the only issue with FAA is the web site is slow to load pages.

Thanks for the help!

Foxyheart2002
09-04-2014, 02:20 PM
FAA: I have a few things on there. I have sold nothing so far. I bought one print from Ann from there because she did not sell them herself. It doesn't cost anything up front, so give it a try.

SandeVBL
09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
FAA makes a nice site. I've been on there for over a year and sold nothing, but so far I hate to give it up.