PDA

View Full Version : Traditions

MJGresko
08-08-2014, 11:02 AM
After 6 weeks of scratching I'm calling this done. I'm pretty pleased with this considering those pesky tracing lines that would not go away. I know they are there but hopefully the average viewer won't pick up on them. Anyway, it's a 16x20 (my biggest so far) and ready for the dreaded spraying. Supposed to be a low humidity week-end so I'm hopeful it will be issue free. Anything that looks like it needs fixin' let me know.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2014/130483-dsc_0091.jpg

ggart4u
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Wonderful textures!

Foxyheart2002
08-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Well, I increased it to 300% on my monitor and saw nothing in the way of the lines. But,then, the larger it is the less sharpness, lolol.

I did notice the child's ear looks like a cookie. If you can get rid of the line in the front, it will be more attached. If it is hair, then extend it further.

I admire those who do people, especially 2 (!), and with all the textures you have here. Very well done!

MJGresko
08-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks Ginger!

Sue I'm not sure what line you are referring too. There is hair in front of it. Little boy sideburns I guess you could call it. I'll take a look at my reference picture and see if it needs an adjustment. I've already toned down some of the white on the mans nostril and eyelid. Seemed to be jumping out too much. Thanks for your input.

jennaboo88
08-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Marcia, this is beautiful! Such a wonderful moment has been captured here, and it warms the heart. Beautifully done! The folks in the Southwestern/Western forum would love to see it too. :)

M.Mason
08-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Wow! There is so much going on here and so much to love! Bravo on tackling TWO people, I haven't attempted my first yet! What a wonderful piece, great job!

MJGresko
08-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks Jenna! I'll post it there also although it was from a Pow wow here in PA. Not even western PA. Lol!

MJGresko
08-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks Melissa! This was a pretty ambitious piece considering I haven't scratched anything in about a year. Glad I did it though...makes me want to do another one.

PaintDog
08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Ambitious indeed, Marcia, and well scratched! A lot of time and heart went into this.

One thing that draws my attention is that it looks like the front of the girl's face is outlined and it blends into the fringe behind it. If you could soften that outline and then darken the fringe a bit, her face would pop right out.

SandeVBL
08-08-2014, 10:55 PM
I like the generational thing that's going on with the older man and the very young child. Lots of fine shading and values in there! Great job!

MJGresko
08-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Thanks Ann I will look at that today and make an adjustment. It's actually a very young boy! Lol!

Thanks Sandra!

Diane Cutter
08-09-2014, 10:40 AM
You certainly captured a wonderful mood with older and younger generations, a sense of seriousness in the child and the covert watchfulness of the elder. I saw this over in the Southwest forum and wanted to comment here. Lovely...

nelvia
08-09-2014, 01:39 PM
This turned out so good. Like all the textures.

MJGresko
08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Thank-you Nelvia.

I sprayed this today since there was only going to be 33% humidity. All was well and I should have stopped at 3 coats because the 4th left me with a small area of droplets. So I guess tomorrow I'll lightly sand and try again. I'm done with spraying now. Told my son that from now on I'm taking my boards over to the body shop he works at and letting them spray them. He said they have different kinds of clear coat from shiny to dull. Sounds good to me!

PaintDog
08-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Ooops, my apologies to the young boy :-)

Sorry about the spraying frustration! Ugh. The body shop sounds like a great option.

Harry Seymour
08-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Marcia, you've really done a wonderful piece here. The detail is amazing and the skill evident throughout.

MJGresko
08-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks Harry, I'm glad you like it!