PDA

View Full Version : Night Fishing at Antibes By Picasso

walter.cozzoli
08-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Is there anyone who has seen, live, the Picasso painting "Night Fishing at Antibes", at the "Museum of Modern Art in New York." I would like the exact indications on the true colors of the painting. The pictures found on the Internet are different from each other. Thank you to all.

AllisonR
08-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Such is the problem of the net - we have luxurious access to everything, but there is no telling what is correct, or which colors, values… And even when the image is near perfect, it is not the same as seeing it in person - all the subtle color shifts, textures, glazed layers… only show in life.

Unfortunately I can not help you. I haven't been to the MOMA since at least 96, and won't be able to until my kids are old enough to appreciate NYC.

May I ask why you chose this painting? I mean you do a Van De Heem floral arrangement, and this Picasso (so un-picasso like IMHO) is so radically different in every way possible?

Cieljaune
08-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Ah Allison, perhaps Night Fishing is not so different from the Flemish master's painting as you might think, nor as unusual among Picasso's other works.

Is spreads its subjects all about a two dimensional surface, giving them all the same distance from the viewer. No deep perspective whatsoever.

And among Picasso's works, Night Fishing is a full-color counterpart to his gravely serious monochrome masterpiece Guernica. Look into the historical context of Night Fishing and you will see the connection.

As for our Italian friend Walter's interest in Night Fishing, I cannot hazard a guess. And unfortunately, I cannot lend any information on the painting's exact colors.

-- Ciel

walter.cozzoli
10-08-2014, 05:09 AM
The choice to play the Picasso painting is only due to a request of a friend of mine, who loves the works of Picasso.
However, the copy is finished.