PDA

View Full Version : Great Newby a Thread over in Soft Pastel Studio

julieindvik
08-06-2014, 10:46 AM
It seems there are a lot of us newbies posting in the Soft Talk Forum. Robert told me about this great thread started by Jackie Simmonds over in the Soft Pastel Studio forum. I had never been there and was ahoy to find it.

Jackie posted a great exercise that is perfect for newbies! My guess it would benefit anyone. I'm going to do the exercise today and post. For those of you that missed it (doubt I am the only one) please check it out.

Thanks again Jackie!

robertsloan2
08-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Julie, thanks for starting this thread to draw attention to it! The "Demo for Beginners" thread is gorgeous. I enjoyed the exercise and have my painting up on my sketchwall. Check it out, folks!

julieindvik
08-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Robert, what is sketchwall?

julieindvik
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Oops..your sketchwall...thought it was another forum!

robertsloan2
08-07-2014, 08:56 PM
My room I have one wall for Good Framed Finished Paintings, two that I bought and three that I painted. My Colourful Lemons, Colourful Bananas and Open Road are on it alnog with Cave of the Mothers by my friend Lisa Willow in Kansas and a skyscape by Deborah Secor. The other walls are "Sketchwall" and I put up various sketches with push pins or tape at the corners just to be surrounded by my art.

Slowly as I finish more really good paintings, the good paintings wall will encroach on the sketchwall and I'll have to designate just one wall for sketches. Currently it's the other way round!

Every now and then in a movie I'd see a wall covered with a character's realistic sketches - usually some explorer like that one with Harrison Ford as a doctor in the Amazon doing research. Once it was a serial killer in the Hannibal Lecter movies. The look of those walls always fascinated me and I wanted to do that, have a lot of my sketches out pinned up where anyone coming in could see them. I rotate what's up. Currently that's also got two 2014 pictorial calendars, both gifts, one from a friend and the other from Sierra Club.