PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner - August 2014

PaintDog
08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I hope everyone has a fantastic August - whatever your endeavors.

It's been a month since the ISSA conference - time sure flies. I still daydream from time to time of the joyful and inspiring experience. It was wonderful to put names to faces for the people I met the first time and to reconnect with "old" friends. I love being able to continue to connect with you here and on Facebook.

Foxyheart2002
08-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I sure do wish I had been able to go. Since my husband and I do not fly, I will have to wait until it gets closer to drive to another exhibition....... I really miss seeing those I met and developed an online friendship with. Since I feel I know them better now, I would love to talk in person again.

ggart4u
08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I've just now gotten back into scratching at a better pace recently. I was worn out and too jazzed up to focus. Back on track... mostly.

Jo and I indulged ourselves and bought a 1931 Ford, Slant Window Sedan deluxe. It even has the suicide doors. It needs a few minor touch ups, but it's gorgeous! We're in love with it!

XQB
08-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Oh....Matthew like! You're going to have a lot of fun with that, Ginger! :clap:
Me, I'm going to spend the entire month prepping for the Dayton, Ohio Concours d'Elegance. Rather than going just to snap photos for my ref file, I've been invited to show in the Artists Pavilion. Several of the most prominent automobile artists in the nation will be surrounding and displaying alongside me, and I couldn't be more excited for the opportunity (and more than a bit nervous of course!).
The show is Sunday, September 14, with the private gala the night before. The gala is my best opportunity to connect with the owners of the bikes and cars I've been scratching these past several years, and I'm quite confident of both immediate sales and commissions coming from that night!
So wish me luck as I beef up my inventory over the next several weeks and prep for the biggest day to date of my art career!:crossfingers: :heart: :eek:

ggart4u
08-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Wow, Matthew!!!! Best of Luck!

Celticelf
08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Color me green Ginger! Super fun.

Harry Seymour
08-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Ginger, that is wonderful auto. Mathew, good luck on a marvelous opportunity and congratulations on just being included .

Shirl
08-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I just returned from my yearly trip to an Arabian horse ranch, where I have a booth during their open "house". My goodness were people interested in scratchboard!! They loved it and I sold 5 boards! I also sold 3 colored pencil paintings, plus about 40 cards. Also received 2 wonderful commissions, one of which is an absolutely spectacular Andalusian stallion. Eat yer heart out horse lovers!!

Ann, I had 4 in the Draft Horse Classic--sold 3 of them so now only 1 in the show; no minatures. Rats.

Foxyheart2002
08-06-2014, 11:56 PM
That is wonderful news, Shirl!!!! Congratulations!! :clap:

I got my entry into the draft horse classic art show accepted. Excited to see if it sells there.

I just finished a glass with spilled grapes on Monday night at 7 and it got entered into our county fair by 8. Whew, just got in under the wire! Here is what it did in the competition: (this is a cell phone pic, enhanced. I have yet to get a scan, will do that when I get it back next Monday and will post it under a new thread.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2014/22615-spilled_grapes_sweepstakessm.jpg
"Spilled Grapes" 14x18, scalpel blade, tat needles, fb brushes (lg & sm), inks

PaintDog
08-07-2014, 01:39 AM
Congratulations, Shirl & Sue!

The glass & grapes is beautiful, Sue. Nice job on the frosted effect you achieved on the grapes.

ggart4u
08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Yay... Shirl and Sue! A great summer for so many folks :clap:

I can't do art today - must clean the studio :eek: It's either that or take a stick of dynamite to it. I am feeling smooshed :(

Shirl
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Congrats Sue!! I love it, love it, love it!!!

What's the matter Ginger? Did you lose yer path thru yer studio?:wink2: :wink2: My path is barely working either:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Foxyheart2002
08-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I can identify with the cluttered spaces!!! Unfortunately, my 'studio' is my DR table and you should see the whole house!!! Yikes

Ginger, I seem to have not answered your 'new car' photo. That is a totally to die for car! Love it!!!!

Rodman
08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Great going Matthew.

Nice piece and congrats Sue!

Ginger... Looks like a fun subject to SB.

Foxyheart2002
08-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Rodman!

Crias
08-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Made it home from Tanzania in one piece! Saw lots of cool things and had a great time with my parents. I won't have time to do much with my photos for several weeks, as I have an art fair this next weekend and a bunch of upcoming deadlines.

Many of you probably saw this on Facebook, but will post here too:

I got contacted by a guy who is trying to sell off thousands of the scratchart brand tips for cheap. It is $1 for a envelope of 12 and they come in sets of three (so 36 blades for $3) plus shipping (which they were not sure on exact amount, said he would have to go to the post office to find out). They had someone that was buying them, had them sharpen thousands, then jumped ship so they are left with all these sharpened blades with no use. They have booth the scoop and spear shaped ones. This is what they look like: http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/149/01/14901-OC3ww-l.jpg

He told me they have 343 packs of 12 ea of the sk1's sharpened and about 10,000 spoon-shaped sk2's sharpened and ready to package. I am not sure if he is willing to mix and match different envelopes.

If you are interested in buying any send me a PM and I will send you the email of the guy selling them. I don't know him, but he did send me pictures of the envelopes marked with the blade name, etc. and they are not exactly asking enough to make me think it is a scam - I think it is legit.

I plan on picking some up for workshops.

Please feel free to pass the info on too.

spikeaboo
08-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Wow ,what a bunch of good news from everyone . Congrats to everyone!!!!

PaintDog
08-16-2014, 01:30 AM
Welcome back, Cathy! I can't wait to drool over photos from your trip.

I'm giving a scratchboard demo at a local art group's monthly meeting tomorrow. Demos are always fun and it's great that they pay a quite nice speaker's fee.

Next month, I'm teaching a 1-day workshop at a big art supply store in the area. So far only one person has signed up, but I hope the demo will generate some interest in the workshop.

Shirl
08-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Wished I'd known about that in time Ann, I would have popped in.

We had our artists' reception yesterday tho, for the Mother Lode National Show. Good news!... my 14x18 of my son's kitten "Loki" was Peoples' Choice!! I understand nothing came close, which I attribute to the subject but also to people in awe with scratchboard. Answered a hundred questions.

Also taught a class of 11 people and I think sb "hooked" some for sure. I warned them about addiction:lol: .

This is "Loki" and I recommend not doing a ball of yarn again....whew, took as long as the kitten...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2014/2937-Loki_sml.jpg

Foxyheart2002
08-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Loki is one gorgeous kitten. I can see why you got People's choice.

ggart4u
08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Now that the ISSA Cary, NC annual show is wrapping up, the votes have been tallied, and this year's People's Choice winner is Diana Lee's "Old Man". Congratulations, Diana!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2014/1062972-DianaLeeOldMan.jpg

Diana Lee
08-19-2014, 12:17 PM
WooHoo, I was just getting on here to share this and Ginger beat me to it! Thanks Ginger! I am feeling very proud right now!

Diana

Diane Cutter
08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
A huge congratulations, Diana!!!

Foxyheart2002
08-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Congratulations, Diana!!!

Trilby
08-22-2014, 03:09 AM
A lot of great and interesting news. Antique cars in pristine shape, prize winning entries, trips taken and returned from, all wonderful. Congratulations to all
I've been dealing with medical issues, digestive stuff, a trip to the hospital, testing, a scary diagnosis that involved expensive monitoring for cancer then yeaterday learned the diagnosis wasn't at all supported by the pathology report and I have asymptomatic GERD with inflamed esophagus---run of the mill stuff, just needs some pills some diet modification and an elevated bed. So now I'm back. Almost have my western collection ready for presentation to a gallery, keeping my fingers crossed, and finished an ink on clayboard piece. Excited to do more of those. Glad to be back and working again.

FoggyMountain
08-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Congratulations Diana. So nice to see good things happen to good people.

Congratulations Sue - well deserved also.

Shirl, I would have chosen him too! I can't even imagine how hard that yarn was.

lorna12
08-30-2014, 03:30 AM
I came on here to post the other night when it the site was having problems. I see my post didn't make it.

I just wanted to say congratulations to all of you who deserve it. Well done.

Ginger...love the car!

Trilby...hope all goes well health-wise for you.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos Cathy.

HI to all of you! :wave:

Foxyheart2002
08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi Lorna!

I will be giving a 2 hour demonstration at an art gallery next Thursday. A little nervous since most of my demonstrations have been at art fairs in my booth, but it should not be too different. I also have classes/workshops in the works soon.

birdlover
08-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Hey everyone. :)

Foxyheart2002
08-31-2014, 02:18 AM
hey, Angela!! Get any good surf pics?