PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost August 2014

*Deirdre*
08-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Over to you, Robert!:D :wave:

robertsloan2
08-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Hello Deirdre! You got up ahead of me and I got up at 5:30am! Well, that's time zones. Thank you again for posting the opening post! I'm not always up at midnight - more often sleeping as early as 7pm or even 4pm on some days, depending on health, due to getting up this early.

Time to kick off with this month's goals!

1. Paint a Spotlight
2. Daily Sketching - health permitting. Trying for it helps!
3. Get out for plein air at least once.
4. Continue posting actively and drawing demos for interested beginners.

I think I'll lighten up on anything else this month. I'm seriously trying to get back to daily sketching and have a little sketchbook for quick gestures. That may help a lot.

Mij
08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi Robert, you can start the thread any time the day before. We are 5 hours ahead of EST and Aussies are 11 hours ahead of us :lol:.
I like the orchids you sketched for the nurse, they looked good.
Good goals as well for this month.

I'll try to keep to the same goal and try to put in as much as I can on the pastel box.
I have jobs waiting on that especially the unboxing of the pastels and charting all the colours. I'd also like to sort my books out into some semblance of organised shelfing. The trouble is that many cover the same or similar ground. I concluded that the best bet for me was to do it in alphabetical order of the author. I have books on pastels, watercolour, acrylics, oils, graphite, coloured pencils, oil pastels and charcoal. Wet and dry mediums doesn't do it neither do the main mediums.
How does everyone else do this
Inspired by your outdoor sketching Robert I did one in Seaford whilst my car was being serviced and MOT'd. It is here

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209232&page=43

I will try to paint the portraits of Irene and Tom this month.
jim

getdusty
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Spotlight, Spotlight, Spotlight....painting, painting painting :crossfingers:

Also, I would like to hang two wall cabinets in Melinda's room (she's the rescue cat) with a couple of open shelves and just maybe I'll be able to organize my painting stuff. Of course that means I have to find a handyman so that the cabinets once up, don't come crashing down off the wall.
Jim, I tried to follow your link, but didn't see a post by you. Will look again. Good luck with the box and portraits.
Robert, good luck with the daily painting and spotlight.
Thanks, Deidre, for starting us off.

robertsloan2
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Jim, saw and liked your plein air of the fountain and seaside! It was lovely. Looking forward to the portraits and your pastel box progress.

Peg, yay for cabinets in the cat's room! You must have a really big nice house for your cat to have her own room. We spoil them sweet and they rule our lives. Give Melinda a scritch for me. I can see her having to share her space with your painting things though. Fair's fair. As long as her toys stay out where she can get at them or on top of the cabinets she'll be happy. Don't make them an easy climb!

Though a cat does appreciate a carpeted shelf or two to lounge on and some toys on it to drop and watch them fall. Ari always likes to play Drop Things and doesn't always distinguish cat toys and man toys.

getdusty
08-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Robert, unfortunately, Melinda having her own room was a necessity. When she was allowed into the general population, she started spraying all over. What a terrible mess and long process trying clean it and get rid of the smell. When she's restricted to her own room, she's fine. (Before I found her, injured, I had started to make that room into my office/studio...so much for that idea)

robertsloan2
08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Sounds like you have a studio cat. Maybe you can share? Office stuff it's okay to have a bit of cat hair around. I live in the same room with Ari so he's my studio cat. Some cats are like that, they can't get along with the others in the house and isolation's the only answer. I only have one cat because I couldn't do something like that if they didn't get along and realistically I can only take care of one cat.

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Did it, got a sketch of Ari done tonight. Only a quick pen gesture in a 3" x 4" sketchbook but I did my daily art. Definitely fighting to regain that habit for real, didn't get to it till bedtime but I could get one in. He was just being so cute. Posted down in the Art Journals forum in my 2014 sketches thread.

ligerwolve
08-02-2014, 01:18 AM
OK so this is actually a two month list. I need most of this finished by the end of September. So I will do what I can this month and what ever is left over will be completed next month.

Tamaskan logo (small pastel on pastel mat)
Two tigers sleeping (xlrg pastel on velour)
Wolf (med scratchboard)
Horse and cougar (scratchboard trinket boxes)
Butterfly (acrylic painting)
Small set of winter themed canvas.
A lion picture for my brother and one for my niece (thinking giraffe)
A pastel picture with a frog, dragonfly and butterfly.
A collie pup (medium pastel on velour)
Oh and a wolf head (large pastel on velour).

Think that's it.... Hope that's it!

I'm also trying to reduce my "stuff" by half. My house is feeling to cluttered. Going well so far but I need to cull my art things which is never easy. Plus I'm doing two online courses and my youngest has a birthday coming up that she wants a "dragon" theme for.

Oh and I just remembered the gallery wants me to do a couple of native birds on canvas.

Mij
08-02-2014, 04:37 AM
Hello Peg, the outdoors sketch is right down the bottom of that page immediately following Roberts orangey orchids. It's a pity that Melinda took over your room but if it has stopped the spraying then perhaps it was worth it.

Thanks Robert for your C&C on the outdoors sketches in my sketch-book. You have already got a couple of images completed and it is only the 2nd of the month. Yay hay!

Janet, what a lovely set of goals for the next couple of months. I hope you can achieve them as they are very worthy ones. I understand about the art clutter because we have a similar problem. Our's is not due to the influx of a cat.
SWMBO's grandson and partner came to stay whilst he did a teacher training year and we emptied our upstairs art/computer rooms to accommodate them. We are truly cluttered :lol:. He had his graduation this past week and has a job to start in September. He passed out with 'outstanding' in all categories. He did himself proud and I, as a retired teacher, have some semblance of what that required :clap:.
I do remember one saying we used, if you want something done ask a busy person :D.
Jim

ligerwolve
08-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Sounds like you guys have some interesting cats. I will have to go check out the sketch Robert.

My cat has personality plus but he isn't very interested in my art. Its the German Shepherd who likes to "help". He gets into staring contests with the painting and if I'm working on a piece he will try get into the paint and add some improvements. Everything I do that dog has to do too!

Wow he did really well Jim. You must be very proud :)

When I had my second child I had to turn my studio back into a room so everything went in my wardrobe and in boxes stacked around. Its a huge one but I couldn't hang a single piece of clothing :lol: So now that most of the house is looking good I decided it was time I got my own space back. Wow so much stuff in there! I am going to attempt to make a four poster bed frame (a rather arty version of one anyway) once its complete. I'm really looking forward to it.

It's a long list but of things to do but I need to do a bit of a catch up. I'm going up to Brisbane at the end of September for my nieces wedding and Id like to relax while I'm there. Plus I plan on going to the zoo up there and get some great new photos to use as reference :) I wont know what to do with myself when I get back. I might actually have time to spare :lol:

Nick7
08-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Oh, the thread is a nice idea :)

Ligerwolve, what a list!!

I am not good at setting goals :) So, I will keep it short (a week) and simple.
1. get Jackie's books.
2. get more supplies. This will be fun :D I need more papers, the ingres I have are tricky. I paint with a pad on my lap. I need to get something better. And a sketchbook. That is a bit intimidating. I know that I will feel like I am ruining it with my drawing.
3. not overdo it with buying supplies. That would not be fun :D
4. not try to read the whole WC
5. do at least one painting with pastels and one Colin's demo with pencils.
6. look up some online video course for beginners to buy and follow. (any tips please? Thank you :))

Judibelle
08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi, Rob, Jim, Peg, Janet and Nick....great goals, all...

My goals are simple again this month....continue the Art Class (4 more mondays to go) and paint on my own at least every other day.
Hope to finally feel up to doing a Spotlight this time...

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Jim, congratulations to your grandson, don't know how I missed that you had a human rather than a cat taking up so much time and space. Awesome! And you'll be getting the space back.

Janet, wow that's an impressive list even for a two month list. Fantastic. Reducing clutter can be really important but reducing art supplies can be harder. I found I had too many regrets any time I purged art supplies. I still miss the 60 Grumbachers that I started with - and deliberately left behind because I was burned out on art. Functionally purging by putting some stuff in storage can help with the clutter though, like using set boxes to hold the other halves of sticks and sorting all the pastels so that only the use-half is out in the trays.

I've had a lot of practice organizing art supplies in a small space and it can be done, what helps more than anything else is having enough cabinets, shelves, storage tubs and so on. Letting go of mediums you don't like is one thing, but anything that you're just not using now is better off in storage. You'd save money in replacements.

Judi, yay, glad you're going to try for a Spotlight this month! Enjoy your art class. It sounds great, classes help me make time to paint sometimes and get it in on days that I'd be otherwise distracted.

ligerwolve
08-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I definitely wont be chucking out any actual pastels, I go through them to quick! :lol: Not to mention a lot of the good stuff has to be imported. The stores here just don't have the selection they do over there.

Mostly its other side project type art, old reference material and general paper clutter. I will save as much as I can but ultimately there is just no space. I no longer have an actual room. My desk is to the corner of my lounge room (always fun with a 2 year old running around!) and next to it I have one small cupboard and behind two plastic tubs. Everything must fit in there.

I did buy some of those cube shelf type things so I'm going to line a wall with them so I don't have to lose a single precious book ;)

I may have also bought a piece of canvas that's big enough to completely cover two walls....:angel: I didn't know you could buy it off the roll! Im going to paint the mountains from around Canberra with the sun setting behind it. Of course I will throw a random exotic animal in there though :lol: I will have one of the most unusual bedrooms around!

Robert you should meet my mum. She has been collecting art supplies for when she retires for decades now. Its like going into an art supply shop in her study!

getdusty
08-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Jim, congrats to your grandson, that's wonderful! Tried agin and still can't find it...lots of stuff by lostjedi and gakinme and bluemnjacob...you guys aren't hiding under different names, are you? went a few pages before and after "43", but no luck.
Janet, "may have bought"? hahaha The four poster project sounds very interesting and your goals will keep you busy for more than 2 months.
Robert, I could use some of your organizational skills, I think. First job is to go through the pastels I lug to class each week. I know I don't need to take so many, but it's hard to decide which to put away and which to keep. And then I need those cabinets so I can store the extras. Need to work on finding someone to do it.
Judi, glad your class is continuing. Going to class makes me paint at least twice a week:)

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Janet, that's so cool about the canvas. You could do a mural with that, it'd be glorious. So glad you're not ditching pastels. Save any botched watercolors though, they are good pastel paper with grit primer over them. Oh wow, your mum's collection sounds great! It's a bit like that in my room sometimes, and yet here I am buying more pastels?

Peg, I got organized by too many moves over the decade before I got SSI. I found out what it hurt to lose or not, still regret leaving behind some really good, really expensive supplies in New Orleans.

For plein air, I'd want the spectrum warm and cool, tints and a shade and 3 browns with tints and a shade - dark, red and yellow earths. Maybe blue-gray, green-gray and violet-gray too. Everything else is convenience colors. Beyond that, smaller pieces allow more colors and the only way I have ever managed to contain it is using a smaller box. But spectrum sticks can be easy to mute and work with even to get brown and gray rocks and trees, while it's hard to punch up gaps in the spectrum.

Mij
08-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Peg, it's post number 1286 on page 43 and the Boscombe beach is post number 1291 on the next page 44.
HTH.
jim

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I also got in daily art today with a weird little square watercolor. I'll go post it into the Art Journals thread. It's vaguely Asian looking, pine trees clump and a cat sitting on a post.

getdusty
08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Jim. Finally found them all on pages 86 and 87. Love your plein air sketches. Having the post numbers was very helpful.
Robert, found a lot of yours, too. I particularly like the watercolor of the cat and trees...very Asian looking.
I've revamped one of my goals (already). Have ditched the cabinet idea and instead will put some shelves up. Thanks to Robert's mention of the plastic totes, I can have supplies neat and covered so as to protect them from cat hair and dust. And that's a project that I can do without searching for the services of a handyman.

ligerwolve
08-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Robert my mum came by today to show me the box of unused silk paints she had found at a second hand market. Must have been more than a dozen paints and two containers of the ends for the tool.

I had a look at your sketches too Robert, very nice.

Nick7
08-03-2014, 01:08 PM
2. get more supplies. This will be fun :D I need more papers, the ingres I have are tricky. I paint with a pad on my lap. I need to get something better. And a sketchbook. That is a bit intimidating. I know that I will feel like I am ruining it with my drawing.

Hmm, so, it hasn't been going well. Out of fear of making an unwise purchase I probably won't buy anything :lol: Why I always end up with this "nothing or everything" attitude? :confused:

Judibelle
08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I finally found your sketches, too, Jim...waaay at the end of the thread...yours, also Rob, which i had already seen, but nevertheless, enjoyed seeing them again....Love the cat-on-a-post!
Nick.....good luck with your dilemma....I bought sets, and there are many I never use...

Yesterday I attended a Garden Party at an old (1800's) Art School here in town. It is no longer used as an Art School, and is privately owned, but the views are spectacular! It was a fund-raiser for our local historical Bidwell House Museum, and the theme, of course, was Art. A few plein-air artists on site showed their works, people dressed in artsy attire, ad a good time was had by all....
Now back into the 21st century....

robertsloan2
08-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Janet, that's awesome! I'm glad she got that set, it sounds like a super bargain. It's things like that where a house can come to resemble an art store, but that's okay when they all get used.

Nick, that bad idea of "nothing or everything" is so common in society that it's like the common cold. It's about as good for you and like a cold, can flare up into bronchitis or pneumonia. No one else can judge your choice. Pick what you like. Or start with the brand you know you like and explore others later. You showed me your Mount Vision samples in a PM and like those, that's a brand you could use exclusively and have a good range and really never run out of any color you love for ages.

If I had started with them I might not have expanded as much. The artist grade brands are all good each in their own way. So start somewhere, with something you know you like, and relax and remember that spending money gets budgeted every month. And that when you sell paintings you can literally afford as many pastels as you want, they are all cost effective.

"All or Nothing" is a bad mental habit that too many people get frozen in life with, and it accomplishes nothing.

Art is abut making choices between more than one good thing, more than one thing that can work, based on what you think and feel in the moment. That gets easier with practice. Even what looks like a "bad" choice can turn out to be better than planned if it leads to something you didn't think of when you first decided.

Peg, thank you! It's been a long time since I did any Asian influenced painting and I itched to for so long. Love the idea of the shelves and totes. It's much easier to rearrange stuff in shelves and clear totes, when working with multiple mediums it rocks. I have them ranging from a big chest one to four under-bed shape ones down to medium size and shoebox size, and they are all useful. I have a stack of four of the medium ones (top is a drawer type) as an end table for my coffee and pencil sharpener.

Judi, purr, thank you! That Garden Party sounds like so much fun. I probably would have brought sketch stuff to it!

Mij
08-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Jim. Finally found them all on pages 86 and 87.
What? I get pages 43 and 44 is the maximum. There is no page 45 even. Just what is going on? Is there something happening here that I don't know about?

Love your plein air sketches. Having the post numbers was very helpful.

I'm glad that they keep the same postal numbers if not pages.

Have ditched the cabinet idea and instead will put some shelves up.

We have a few units which come already in four squares, two in each with doors and two squares without. We have these stacked on each other, two deep which houses our dining room stuff and some of our art stuff.
I do have to be careful and not mention any thing I have not used in the last fortnight. Otherwise it'll be thrown in the bin :clear: :eek: :rolleyes: :angel:.
jim

robertsloan2
08-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Good grief, Jim! Arrgh! I think I'd rebel. I let some supplies go fallow for a year and they're still fine, with the unpleasant exception of someday linoleum carving. I learned that stuff lasts only a year and if I am going to do a prject, buy a single block for that project and do it then! Not stock up on it and have it turn crumbly and no good. Everything else - paper, pastels, pencils, tube paints all seem to stay in good shape in storage. I just keep it organized.

It all depends on how I feel, whether I'm up to doing it or not. Some supplies I am still waiting to have a good enough day to try the medium, like oils and their cleanup.

Third day of Daily Art, a watercolor pencil demo in five progress photos posted in my Art Journals thread Rob's Sketches 2014 and also in Watercolor Pencils Demos in Watermedia. Pretty happy with it, managed to show the stages distinctly enough.

Nick7
08-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Jim, some boards let you set how many posts you want to view every time a page loads. Perhaps thats the reason the page numbers don't match.

Rob, you always make me chuckle when you mention selling my art :D
I am ok with pastels for now. I love my Paris set. I mean, I know I should buy the half sticks Rembrands, but I don't like the feel and the sounds Kooh-i-noor make, and I am afraid it will be the same with Rembrands. Perhaps I need to buy a stick or two first.

I can't decide about literature (Margaret Evans perhaps?), a sketchbook (a Stillman Delta?), a drawing board for my desk, papers, gloves in a bottle and online lessons. Then I remember how little time I will actually have now (comparing to the last week when I had vacation) and wonder if I should buy anything at all.. :D *sigh*

ligerwolve
08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Just buy a couple of stick of what you like. Start there. Once that's settled get something else like a book.

Not that I can talk. Since I have to import everything (which isn't cheap) I bulk buy. I have to say when I get all my big boxes chocked full of papers and pastels I just want to savour it :lol: Looooove receiving art supplies!

Nick7
08-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Just buy a couple of stick of what you like. Start there. Once that's settled get something else like a book.

Not that I can talk. Since I have to import everything (which isn't cheap) I bulk buy. I have to say when I get all my big boxes chocked full of papers and pastels I just want to savour it :lol: Looooove receiving art supplies!

LOL, yeah import makes trouble, I want to order more things than just one too.

My sister just told me that the easel that she had bought a year ago and that is still in a sealed box at my parents' had been meant for me :eek: It seems that she had more hope for my artist career than me :rolleyes::lol:

Mij
08-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Jim, some boards let you set how many posts you want to view every time a page loads. Perhaps thats the reason the page numbers don't match.
It was just that so thanks Nick.

I can't decide about literature (Margaret Evans perhaps?), a sketchbook (a Stillman Delta?), a drawing board for my desk, papers, gloves in a bottle and online lessons. Then I remember how little time I will actually have now (comparing to the last week when I had vacation) and wonder if I should buy anything at all.. :D *sigh*
I have two grandsons tomorrow and they are quite taken with Ron Ransons dvd/method. I have some practice paper for them and have got boards for them out of three ply, 9" X 13". They are small so I have reduced the size of everything to match them :lol::angel:.
jim

Nick7
08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
LOL Jim, have a great and colourful day tomorrow :)

robertsloan2
08-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Nick, if you like your Paris Collection stick with it. You can always get medium soft ones later and might like Art Spectrum or something more. Try individual sticks and maybe hand rolled medium softs would suit you better. Enjoy the Senneliers. There are a number of painters who use those exclusively. If you ilke their feel, they rock.

Judibelle
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Just got back from my pastel class.....we did plein aire sketching, and then went inside to do a painting of the sketch we did....I did a couple of trees that caught my eye. I may try to upload them, after I put the 'finishing' highlights on.
Jim......Sounds like fun for the Grands....have fun tomorrow...
Nick...hope you get to enjoy the easel

Nick7
08-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Rob, thank you. I understant that I would benefit from the buy, but right now my heart is not in it.

It's early in the morning, I am on my way to work, peaking into the gardens around, looking for something I could paint. Have I caught a bug or something? :D

robertsloan2
08-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Judi, awesome! That sounds so fantastic. I'd love to see them all. Hope you can post them! You did a whole lot, it sounds like a great class.

Nick, if your heart's not in it because your Senneliers perform, go for it! I think you've got the bug all right. Take them out and really enjoy them, immerse and learn them well. You can always take up other brands later. I started out with Grumbacher and spent several years just using those. Because I collect now doesn't mean you need to in order to start! Some people never do and you've got a good complete range with 120 color Paris Collection. That's twice what I had to start and Sennelier is an old classic brand with very high quality.

Today was incredible!

I finished tweaking my Spotlight landscape, cut its mat and framed it. I climbed up and rearranged the paintings on the wall to make room for it. Here it is in context with the paintings I already had hanging!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2014/70184-8-5-2014_Art_Wall.jpg
Art Wall! From left, big painting "Cave of the Mothers" by my Kansas friend Lisa, July Spotlight landscape, June Spotlight lemons, Deborah Secor skyscape in the red frame, June Spotlight Bananas top right. This whole wall is framed good art. Other walls just have sketches pinned up unmatted and unframed plus a couple of pictorial calendars on nails.

Then I went out to my credit union and took care of the PIN numbers problem in person. They rule, they solved that very fast and as always treated me with cheery welcoming respect. I love credit unions. They are the opposite of snobby banks who think you're not even good enough to go in without a suit, a tie and major investment portfolio. While waiting afterward for my ride, I sketched two pages of biro life drawings in my pocket Moleskine.

So today's art counts twice, which sort of makes up for yesterday having no art in it!

Nick7
08-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Wow, Rob, that sounds like a great day!! I will look at your paintings when I get home (low data plan on my cellphone sucks).
Hmm, Moleskine is a brand that I can find in local stationeries. I will google the types of books they produce.

robertsloan2
08-06-2014, 02:45 AM
The one I used for the sketches is a plain paper journal. Very thin but strong paper, lots and lots of pages. The one in my vest is a watercolor one, horizontal bound, only about 50 pages but it takes a while to fill it and they're thick enough I paint on both sides. I think this drawing one has 100 or 120 or 150 sheets, they are very thin. It's good for thumbnailing and ballpoint drawing, pencil, any dry medium and great for drawing with any writing implement I have at hand. Both are the smallest "pocket" size so they fit in my vest.

Mij
08-06-2014, 04:45 AM
Hello JudiB. Yes we all had fun, including SWMBO who tagged along as she likes the looseness of RR as well. But it was difficult for them to make a mark and leave well alone :lol:.
I do hope that you put the finishing touches to the outdoor sketch and put it up here for us to see :thumbsup:.

Nick yep the bug has bitten LOL. I found myself commenting on the scenery especially trees as I drove around :)

Hi there Robert, didn't you do well! Your wall looks so good with those framed pictures so well hung. And you did some more sketching with your biro in your sketch-book. That is a well done and I'm glad that you was well enough to do them :cool:.

We had some fun yesterday. I prepared 6 boards and stretched A5 sized Bockingford NOT watercolour paper on them. I had a B4 water colouring pad with a few pages left that we used as practice paper to try each stroke (much like we learned the ABC at school) and to see what colour our mixture was before we touched the paper proper. We also laughed about clean and dirty palettes, with their subsequent clean or murky watercolour images. They had two good pictures each to take home with them.

When they got home their parents had got guinea pigs, hutch and a run pen for them. So much excitement!
Jim (worn out)

Nick7
08-06-2014, 06:05 AM
lol, Jim, that sounds like a good day too.

I went to three shops and wasn't lucky. Everything is either a diary, a book with lines for writing or has a bunny or a kitten on the cover :)
I'll keep drawing on sheets of paper until I place an online order.

I also saw a beautiful set of 72 color pencils, but behaved and didn't buy it :D A kid in a candy shop...

Mij
08-06-2014, 07:09 AM
I went to three shops and wasn't lucky. Everything is either a diary, a book with lines for writing or has a bunny or a kitten on the cover :)
I'll keep drawing on sheets of paper until I place an online order. Yes, I think I know what you mean. The online stores seem to have everything.
We now have an 'art presence' in the high-street but I wouldn't bank on them having much inline with my requirements - though having said that they had had what I wanted on the last two occasions.....

I also saw a beautiful set of 72 color pencils, but behaved and didn't buy it :D A kid in a candy shop... I like coloured pencils as you have so much control. I have completed some in the past.... but they take forever. A very slow medium - well for me anyway. The Derwent Inktense Pencils are a small set and coupled with a water-brush pen make a small outdoor set for me. I should use it more frequently really.
jim

Nick7
08-06-2014, 07:21 AM
I have Derwent pastel pencils and have heard that they can be blend with water too. I need to try that :)

robertsloan2
08-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Jim, sounds like you had a wonderful time with them and they had the day of their lives! Excellent they each got two good pictures out of it. Great idea to use the old watercolor pad for test sheets.

Nick, too bad about not finding a good blank book for sketching. Order the Moleskine online, it's very good for that. Stillman & Birn journals are too. I drifted over to S&B when they sent me some for review years ago when they first came out.

Good idea about testing my pastel pencils too. They aren't Derwents but I think Stabilo Carb-Othello dissolve in water too. I know my Cretacolor pastel pencils did, that was one of the features I liked about them. Most pastels will too, it's why wet underpaintings are so popular. Scrape some color over the areas on the paper and then wash with alcohol or water to get a loose watercolor-like wash underpaintng that stays put and doesn't mix with later layers.

Today's a new day and I may get some new art in. I've got the pastel itch too and gotten into my Traveller again, seen those beloved sticks again, that blazing array of all those colors! And I've still got plenty of the Uart...

robertsloan2
08-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Sketched today with my Mystery Box, two Scavenger Hunt items from life - something soft (Ari's face and front paws) and something triangle - his bright orange catnip carrot. Looking for other shapes or colors objects to add to the page. Easy ones or tough ones, just things I could do with exactly those TL colors since it's going so well.

robertsloan2
08-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Daily art today, pen and watercolor WDE cat in my Delta journal. I might do some more today, work on the shell or more life sketches or more WDE. Really working on getting back in the habit!

Nick7
08-09-2014, 04:34 PM
1. get Jackie's books.
4. not try to read the whole WC
5. do at least one painting with pastels and one Colin's demo with pencils.
6. look up some online video course for beginners to buy and follow. (any tips please? Thank you :))

So, it's been a week... I have gotten Jackie's book about sketching. Haven't bought any supplies, but desperately need new papers. I haven't done any Colin's demo yet and haven't decided about the course yet.
But I have been very busy painting and loved it :clap:

robertsloan2
08-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Since you've been working on your lap in pads, it'd probably be a good idea to look at pads of other papers. Don't let yourself run out of paper! Canson Mi-Tientes pads are a staple for me, I order a new one when I'm down to the last few sheets. It's hard to over-buy on paper, because you will be able to use all of it eventually and the different kinds are all good. Especially sanded papers or grit primers and watercolor pads.

Seeing so many good sketches and paintings from you, you're doing great! Keep it up! Yay for getting Jackie's sketching book, it's really good. I bought it before but it's in Arkansas.

Nick7
08-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Actually, I started painting on the floor :rolleyes: I hope nobody will feel offended... After sitting for 8 hours at the office, sitting on the floor under the huge two storey western windows feels great. And surprisingly the pastels don't create almost any mess.
After the easel stops being so intimidating I will use that :)
But yes, I need to buy papers on Monday :) I have looked up the prices of some sanded papers...good Lord... Those kinds of experiments will have to wait.

robertsloan2
08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
If sanded papers are too expensive, get a pint of Art Spectrum Multimedia Primer or AS Supertooth Primer and some cheap watercolor paper. That's a lot cheaper than sanded paper and a pint of either will last a long long time. There are similar products in other brands, that's the one I know.

If your easel is too intimidating, that's kind of silly. A tool is a tool. If you own it, give it a try. Though if working on the floor is good for your body, enjoy it and do what you like. There are no rules. Easels are good when showing other people what I'm doing or when going outdoors. Floor is great, grass in the park may be damp!

There's no rules about posture in art. It's what works for you and your body and your paintings. Seriously. Why I'm able to do this and NOT play piano. (Sitting up straight and reaching the right keys has always been impossible.)

robertsloan2
08-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Also got in three more Scavenger Hunt sketches from life in pastel and they're up in Pastel Studio and the Scavenger Hunt thread. Also the page has been sprayed with fixative, taken out of the sketchbook and hung on my sketch wall. I'm happy with it. Very happy with the Ludwigs. They're fun on that paper, will be incredible on sanded paper!

robertsloan2
08-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Watercolor kitten today for the Weekend Drawing Event. I vaguely want to get at the seascape too, might do that tomorrow or not. Meant to get to my shell too but I'm starting to feel tired.

robertsloan2
08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Daily art again today, a page of Scavenger Hunt life drawings in watercolor pencils posted to Scavenger Hunt #370 in Artwork from Life forum and in my Rob's Sketches 2014 thread in Art Journals. Has an Ari sketch of course that started it - he looked cute, I plead irresistible cuteness - then small, medium and large marbles, a pill bottle lid and a tiny pastels box for oval and rectangle respectively.

Judibelle
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Worked from a photo in yesterday's pastel class...gonna try to upload it. It is not the complete picture, as it was larger than the print area. But you can kinda get the idea...

Well, I have tried for 10 minutes to upload my painting, but McAfee absolutely will not let me! It keeps blocking the upload image site, saying it is a dangerous site.....go figure...
Anyone else have trouble?

robertsloan2
08-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Not yet today, sad to hear you're having trouble. Can you briefly turn off McAfee to get through it?

robertsloan2
08-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Today's daily art, yes. Two marbles in pen and Colored Pencils, pen and watercolor, the size of a quarter each. Final entries in the Scavenger Hunt, new one tomorrow. Posted in Scavenger Hunt 370 in Artwork from Life and also in 2014 Sketches in Art Journals forum.

Mij
08-13-2014, 03:59 AM
Well done on the marbles Robert, they looked very round. Perhaps you used something to help you with that? I know that I did an orange once freehand in CP forum and was told it was too round :). I searched the CP forums for it but could not find it. Perhaps it was one of those that got lost.
jim

Mij
08-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Well, I have tried for 10 minutes to upload my painting, but McAfee absolutely will not let me! It keeps blocking the upload image site, saying it is a dangerous site.....go figure...
Anyone else have trouble?
Oh dear, sorry to hear that JudiB. I can only reiterate Robert's advice about switching off McAfee temporarily. I wouldn't know how to set it's preferenecs.
jim

robertsloan2
08-13-2014, 09:37 AM
When I said "the size of a quarter" I meant, I used a quarter to draw around it with pen as a circle template. It's the size of a quarter, exactly. Nothing wrong with templates. I do pretty good freehand circles, the previous three marbles were freehand, but I felt like seeing if I could trace around a quarter and NOT have some one or two little points where the pen line didn't match because the angle of the pen wasn't quite right - it's its own manual skill, drawing around coins. I did it in pen, without penciling first, got it perfect. Subtle showoff stuff. You'd have to try it to know it's hard. Precise circles realy help on marbles - and getting them in pencil first, it's way too easy for them to drift and be less precise by the time all the colored penciling is done. Especially if it's part one color and part another on the outline.

robertsloan2
08-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Daily art, a pencil sketch of buildings across the street from mine and two colored pencils, an apple and a little plant. At least I got some done today, the van showed up about an hour late and then I had to phone in ot have my return ride be late and that meant spending almost an hour out by patient drop off and pickup spot instead of the pretty garden. Maybe tomorrow I can pastel, tonight my back and legs hurt too much.

Nick7
08-14-2014, 02:07 AM
I hope you will feel better tomorrow, Rob.

I didn't feel like painting yesterday. Only drew a flamingo, using a reference photo. I want to paint it too, but getting discouraged by so many shades of peach. I doubt I will get it right.
A day without painting felt strange.

I forgot to think about my this week's goals. Hmm, to paint, perhaps?

Nick7
08-14-2014, 05:51 AM
It seems I have come up with a goal after all... I want to learn how a cloth can be painted. I still don't get it. I have found a picture attached to a TL pastels review at dickblick. I need to try to copy those parts, where the tablecloth is folded...

Mij
08-14-2014, 06:05 AM
I want to learn how a cloth can be painted.

This is something that I see as easy until I come to do it - then easy it isn't! I have found a portrait drawing that was obviously our first model last year. It has folds of a wrap around the neck. It stopped me from going forward. I need to tackle this head on - please pass on any tips :(.
jim

Nick7
08-14-2014, 06:19 AM
tips would be great :)

I am going to search all spotlight threads, but I am afraid it will end with "paint what you see". Perhaps copying a painting where the folds make sense will be easier than paint from reality.

Nick7
08-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Jim, google offers a lot of tips. Here is one of them:
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/how-to-paint-drapery

It's frustrating that it looks so easy :D

robertsloan2
08-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Copying painted folds can really help. That was what I started with when I was a kid, copying Durer and some other medieval and Renaissance artists.

There are good drawing classes right here on WetCanvas in the Drawing and Sketching forum, the Classroom subforum. Class 16: Material Folds (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260445) is the one you want for doing drapery. If there is anything I want to draw that I have trouble with, I learned to go up there and look for a class on that specific topic - it's really good stuff and there are volunteers if you participate who will critique and evaluate your exercises.

Folds are easy once you know how and a real pain until you do, they're one of those things. Practice makes perfect. For me what frustrated me for years wasn't just folds but folds in velvet, which get a little edge higlhight all the time and certain weird lighting effects from the pile.

Off to look at the flamingo! Birds are fun, especially colorful ones. Great subjects for pastel painting. I did feel better today and got my Conch finished, it's up on Spotlight and in the Gallery.

Nick7
08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Thank you for the tip, Rob!! So great to hear that you are feeling better! :)

Mij
08-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks Nick that looks to be a good example.

Thanks for the reminder Robert. I have done some of the classes before and a good resource they proved to be. Perhaps I should revisit :thumbsup:.
jim

robertsloan2
08-15-2014, 01:33 AM
When I have trouble with anything, that's where I go look it up!

Mij
08-15-2014, 11:04 AM
I have had a look at the page and it seems the last one I did was the nudes. The next would be the fantasy class.
Do you know if they are still monitored Robert as I'd like to complete these. I believe I saw a 102 class as well. I don't know what was in that.
jim
PS I have just had a good look as I remember doing Al's class on three part harmony. That was a 102 class, perhaps out of sequence?
Anyway perhaps I'll go back there if it is still being monitored.

robertsloan2
08-15-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if it is or not. It seemed to be in continuous use every time I've gone back for something - when there's new posts someone will pop in and critique and offer tips. I like how they're set up for that.

getdusty
08-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Just checking to report that I have (finally) accomplished one of my goals...the shelves are up on the wall! and I think they may actually stay there and not come crashing down. Took longer than expected...doesn't it always. Tomorrow will be organizing my art supplies, art magazines and art books. Definitely feels good to get that done.

robertsloan2
08-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Congratulations, Peg! That's going to feel so fantastic, once you get those shelves filled it'll be inspiring. It always is for me when I go through my stuff. Glad you got the shelves done and they're solid. It takes strong shelving for books unless you just put one or two for show instead of actually reading and using them.

Daily art today, a couple of WDE sketches in colored pencils. Not really major but at least I did something!

Mij
08-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Well done Peg! And we are only just over halfway through the month! But that only serves to remind me that I have yet to do the same at this end. Every body seems to be reaching their goals but my poor pastel box seems to be suffering. I must get to do some more on it soon or the month will be over again.
Jim

getdusty
08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks, guys. Odd as it sounds, I like looking at their "pristine-ness" and almost don't want to fill them up. Oh well, that would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

Mij
08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
You have almost distracted me from goofing off on the computer Peg. I have promised myself to re-organise my resources - certainly the books - but I cannot decide the basis. Since most touch on most mediums, topics etc, I am thinking author and alphabetical. I find it easier to remember an artist and what he/she covers best.
What say you? Everybody else? Dilemma! :eek:
jim
PS I left the Dewey Decimal system in our library - where it belongs - :lol:

robertsloan2
08-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Jim, it's up to you but I sorted my books on topic and sort of alphabetical within topic if I had a lot on it. Basically photo reference books in one group, then by medium with "general art book" and multi medium ones as a category. It made it easy to find what I wanted. I had a good couple hundred art books there though and unfortunately sold off a lot of books, thinned that and didn't manage to get any of the books boxes here.

Peg, I can understand admiring their pristine emptiness, but of course that would defeat the purpose. Once you get them organized it'll have another kind of pristine-ness, that of being totally organized.

I have already sketched today, did a watercolor hibiscus for the WDE. So there is now only ONE empty page left in my Stillman & Birn Delta journal. I loved that journal, still do, it's kind of full of very cool stuff and as always on finishing a sketchbook I'm kind of impressed by it being better than previous ones. I like seeing my progress. It'll also be fun starting a new one. I might do that final page today too, depends on how I feel later and whether I see something that needs doing in something other than pastels.

Nick7
08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
congrats, Rob. It sounds really good to finish something so personal and already be thinking about starting a new one :)

robertsloan2
08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Purr! Did the final page too, posted now on my 2014 Sketchs thread in Art Journals and also into Scavenger Hunt #371 - where I substituted my cat for a throw rug since he likes to impersonate one and lay in the middle of the floor. He gets extremely flat when he does. I don't actually own any rugs but I don't need one, he's decorative enough. Still sleeping too, he moved his position but he's so zonked out.

Nick7
08-18-2014, 09:10 AM
This is something that I see as easy until I come to do it - then easy it isn't! I have found a portrait drawing that was obviously our first model last year. It has folds of a wrap around the neck. It stopped me from going forward. I need to tackle this head on - please pass on any tips :(.
jim

Jim, I have found another demo. I wish it didn't look so difficult. And it's black and white, colour would be even more challenging. At least for me.

http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mightyartdemos-bradley.html

Mij
08-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Jim, I have found another demo.

http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mightyartdemos-bradley.html

Thanks for that Nick, it is something I can practice in my sketchbook.

Robert I have now put the graphite images of the portraits up on the Portrait forum. It is called something like 'I would like to do portraits' and was their latest post. Well at that time lol.
jim

Mij
08-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Jim, it's up to you but I sorted my books on topic

I think a compromise might be necessary. If I use a spreadsheet and put the contents (topics) under different columns I can call up any selection/topic that I wish. Then delete it when finished, leaving the main data untouched. I have yet to work out the function of the 'filter' that SWMBO's grand son reckons I should use for this facet of a spreadsheet.
jim

robertsloan2
08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Laughing at myself because I'm so confused this morning. I don't quite know how a spreadsheet comes into this. You don't know what the "filter" does, I don't know what the "spreadsheet" does and my cat is looking at me like I've lost my mind. I used to use one for about a couple of weeks at one job I held for far less than a year. The day after I stopped using it, I forgot everything about how to use spreadsheets. Like the coding for different phototypesetting machines, my brain deletes any stuff like that as soon as I know I won't need it again.

Probably because I'm remembering .. whatever it is I just forgot..

Oh yeah, because I found out that a "great business skill that'd get you more money at your next job" led to the decision "I never want a job that involves using this software or doing input on it again. If I don't have it, I won't be trapped in one."

I just found out it tended to work best to go "authors alphabetical" for fiction and "topics by what I'm really doing now" for non fiction. IE what I use a lot goes on the easiest to get at shelf and topics I only check once in a blue moon go way down by the floor or way up out of my reach. So it wound up "topical by ergonomic."

Nick7
08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Guys, I would love to have your problems LOL I own about three paper books and four Kindle books about drawing and painting...
But the truth is my hard disk is getting full because of all the demos, tips and reference pictures...

Mij
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Guys, I would love to have your problems LOL I own about three paper books and four Kindle books about drawing and painting...
But the truth is my hard disk is getting full because of all the demos, tips and reference pictures...

I wonder how you find stuff on there?:wink2:
jim

robertsloan2
08-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Oh, I can believe that, Nick! I've done it, gotten my hard disk stuffed with too many demos and pictures and references. I need to weed out and sort my Pictures folder anyway since it's getting hard to scroll down to he current stuff - maybe start shoving old Spotlight refs into a folder of old Spotlight refs. Might go do that now. Lucky my drive isn't full but if I keep taking and downloading these Johannes Vloothuis classes it might fill up.

Nick7
08-18-2014, 06:06 PM
The problem is, I have more demos than I can use in the next months. I need to stop hoarding them.
I have found The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds by John Muir Laws. It looks great. I am grateful it is not in an electronic version, otherwise I would have already bought it.
(who am I kidding, I am NOT grateful at all :D)

robertsloan2
08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Nick, just set aside some money for a terabyte external drive to keep all your demos on. Or get a big stack of DVDs for transferring them to. Seriously, it doesn't hurt to have lots of demos. You could be wasting time watching boring television or watching cool pastel demos? The latter's more entertaining and much better for your future!

Off to Portraits forum to see Jim's graphite portraits!

Nick7
08-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Btw, I have found this comment to another book sold by Amazon:

"I am 80, so not much time left, but it is good that I can still do things I wanted so much to do before leaving."

It was a book You can draw in 30 days. I find it touching and sad at the same time. Why do we keep putting things off? It took me more than twenty years to start... Hard to believe.

robertsloan2
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
I think most good instruction books and someone really putting in the time every day for 30 days, they can go from zero to drawing well. It's partly a matter of doing all that many drawings and paying attention to it. Getting used to the idea of it and training your hand and eye.

Why people put it off so long is a deep question... I think a lot of times it comes from people having mocked the attempt, especially in childhood. Kids literally get taught not to draw somewhere in grade school. Without parents fighting that, early art lessons, a supportive background it's too easy to believe it's impossible to learn.

Nick7
08-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Rob, I just want to thank you for making me start the sketchbook. I bought the book I am using a year ago. But I put it aside, because it was too good for me to spoil it with my drawing *bangs the head against a wall*
I have been filling it for just eleven days so far. There is a lot of things in my life that I want to change, but can't. This book is a proof that I have managed to change at least something. It feels great.

robertsloan2
08-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Yay, that rocks! Go ahead, photo those 11 pages and post them in Art Journals! It's fun seeing other people's sketchbooks. They are not too good to use. That's what they are for! And the more you do, the more solid achievements to stand on come into your life against other discouraging situations. It's cumulative, gradual success is a strong antidote to everything nasty in life.

Nick7
08-19-2014, 12:52 PM
32 pages... but I am afraid it will take some time for me to post it :) I am keeping everything there, even the unfinished or ruined sketches. I spent several hours today drawing birds. I wonder why I am surprised that it is so detailed work LOL. But I see progress! yay :)

I have been thinking about getting the Laws' book but I so hate drawing circles and ovals in the beginning instead of starting with the bird's outline :D

I am also surprised how many times I need to tell myself "check the angle!" And when I don't, it's wrong. Grrr

robertsloan2
08-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Oh yes! Oh please do post it all, even the ruined or unfinished work. It helps everyone else to see that. I'm serious. There are artists nowhere near as skilled as you who are just as scared as you that theirs isn't good enough, when they see your botches or mine they know, it's okay to botch. That's what sketchbooks are for!

Yay for progress drawing birds! Spend several hours at it that's so natural. How I got cats in essence. I've been sketching pigeons every time I see them and should get out in the hall watching for gulls more often. Sometimes they come for the trash behind the building, so if I roll down all the way to the far window I might see some. One time I saw one that was perched right on the fire escape at my level but didn't have any bread to bribe it to stay.

Yeah, I know what you mean about starting off with circles and ovals. A lot of drawing methods begin with that, whether human or animal, and correct the form to actual proportions. It's effective but like gridding takes either some erasing or a lot of reworking. I think that why I don't like it is the reworking. I'd rather every mark I get down mean something and be kept unless I'm deliberately erasing out light details which is more like "drawing on dark."

It takes a while but do enough sketches and sometimes when you get it wrong it's still all right - and you can tell the difference. With living things I always ask "if it's not accurate, is it plausible?" The more familiar I am with its anatomy, the more likely getting my cat's head at the wrong angle will still result in a pose he might have taken. Versus getting him into a position he'd have to break his neck to do or making his head too small for his body or something.

Daily art today, I began my pastel journal! I did the sunflowers and the Pan Pastels rose and so many pastel or hard pastel or smudgy graphite or charcoal sketches and small paintings in my Delta that I realized I like the Beta-Delta paper better than Mi-Tientes as pastel paper. It's rough watercolor paper with a nice soft toothy surface that does grab pastel and let me layer.

So I taped a piece of tracing paper as barrier and did the first page in color Conte and charcoal pencil. I want to do more pastel sketching. I like sketching in wet media too, but do they have to be in the same book? I have a Zeta journal the same shape and size, which is wonderful for very detailed pen work and still heavy watercolor paper, it's exactly as heavy but has a smooth surface.

It's a good start. I'm happy with the first page, and by the time I finish I know I will be much better at sketching and pasteling.

robertsloan2
08-20-2014, 01:05 AM
More art today, also did the first page in the smooth paper Zeta journal. I love it. That paper is so fine! Not for pastels though it might take Pans, will have to find out about that. Posted in Rob's Sketches 2014 in Art Journals forum.

Nick7
08-20-2014, 01:56 AM
You have been si busy! :) I'll be too today, but not with painting :( Missing it already.

I am nowhere near drawing anything that moves lol. Photo reference is my friend.

Jim, I have started with the fabric folds. It helps to copy someone else's drawing. Once I understand the logic, I will continue with copying paintings (=color)

Mij
08-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Laughing at myself because I'm so confused this morning. I don't quite know how a spreadsheet comes into this. You don't know what the "filter" does, I don't know what the "spreadsheet" does
I chose that Robert because it has a 'SORT' command that will sort what you have put in it in numerical or alphabetical order - ascending or descending. And since I have learned (or was reminded) it will do this with any column in the sheet any that has something in it (has a value attached to that topic) it will 'filter' accordingly. The problem is solved. The computer will hold/organise the books according to author/topic. I'll just have to make that one of next month's goals i.e. inputting the authors and titles of books into a spreadsheet, unless some one knows an easier method of course.
jim

robertsloan2
08-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Nick! Oh, start with something that could move but catch it sleeping or otherwise holding still a good long time. Ari was hunkered over his food bowl with his back turned and thanks to gesture drawing, I mapped out where his body proportions were before continuing the pretty cat hair texture to get his values right. Broken and dotted lines do really well to describe lighter fur.

Ah... okay, me dummy... not sure why changing the organization inside the computer would help you find the books on the shelf. I had alphabetical by topic to make it easier to grab a pastel book or a colored pencils one or photo reference one.

Nick7
08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
I missed my bus and now I have to wait an hour for the next one :( grr. Maybe it's time to stop being shy and start drawing in public... Hmm.

Mij
08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
not sure why changing the organization inside the computer would help you find the books on the shelf.

Did I say I am lazy?
I'd print out the list/shelf, save me time to put them back. I hope it'd stop me from 'just putting it there for now'.
If I get a new book re-sort in the spreadsheet and automatic insertion at the correct place. Did I say I was lazy? Yes on the first line :lol:.

Nick, yes you will have to brave the public gaze :). I find it's the kids that are most inquisitive and can say the most outlandish things. From the adults I get the usual ' I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler' type of thing. I answer 'Neither can I that is why I'm practising' etc.
jim

Judibelle
08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Jim, I'm impressed with your 'account keeping' I never would have thought of doing that!

I haven't done any art stuff this week...didn't even make it to my Monday class....My hubby has been in the hospital a week now, and I've been too uptight about what is going on with him. Today, though, I DID get inspired, and went through my working pastels to put them in a better order.

Only one more week for class, though, shoulda done the sorting at the beginning...Oh well, now duplicates and broken pieces are separated and I have what I need in working order.

Now just need to get back to painting....

Nick7
08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Judi, I hope he will be well soon (((hug)))

Judibelle
08-20-2014, 07:14 PM
thanks, Nick...hope you got to do some sketching today...out in PUBlic, yet!

Mij
08-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I wondered where you was JudiB :wave:.
Jim, I'm impressed with your 'account keeping' I never would have thought of doing that! Then you should see my financial spreadsheets :angel::lol:.

My hubby has been in the hospital a week now Sorry to hear that JudiB, no wonder you have been away from here. I hope it is all ok with him soon as.

should'a done the sorting at the beginning...Oh well, now duplicates and broken pieces are separated and I have what I need in working order.

Now just need to get back to painting.... When you are ready JudiB, look after yourself and hubby, we'll be here.
jim

robertsloan2
08-21-2014, 02:30 AM
Oh Jim, that really makes sense now. Once you have the spreadsheet you use it to shelve them and it tells you where to put the new one to keep them organized. Got it, like a card catalogue at home. Doh. I'm just scared of spreadsheets is all, never used them for anything unless I got paid for it because I didn't like it. I organize things on my shelves in a way that would not work.

I tend to decide it right off the top and put it by topic by what I get at most. I have to shelve ergonomically. It develops almost organically as I try one organization method and then think of an improvement and use it next time I need to reorganize. I take things out and they stack up till I get fed up with the pile and put it all away - but in reverse that's going to be putting what I want to get out again soon easiest to get at.

Topic I could put things like oil painting real low cause that's only in certain seasons and pastels right easy to get at etc., by my actual habits. Author always puts something I need all the time way out of easy reach and wrecks my back. And sometimes it's "size within topic" if I have to put all the oversize books on a tall enough shelf.

Nick, relax and draw in public. After a while you get used to the comments and most are usually compliments. People get impressed as soon as they can tell what you're drawing. It's like magic. It's also the best way to not be bored waiting that long for a bus! It also helps sometimes to keep a pocket size sketchbook for it so that you don't have to carry a lot of stuff and it's harder for the strangers to peer over your shoulder, they have to ask to see it.

JudiB, sorry to hear about your husband! Hope he pulls through fine. Life happens, no surprise you didn't paint much. But sorting and cleaning pastels and nubs is a huge Art Thing, one of the things that make it so much easier to paint. Always wakens the itch for me. Congrats on that!

I haven't drawn today, spent the whole day just relaxing with Kitten and now a bit tired. Might do a cat gesture in pen just to have something, there, got a two minute cat while posting just so I do have daily art.

Mij
08-21-2014, 06:25 AM
Hi JudiB, I do hope hubby is better today.

Hi Robert, glad to see elsewhere that you have managed some daily art. Also that you have started the new S&B sketchbook. That is great and I think the weather (and conditions i.e. waiting for transport) has been very favourable to your artistic requirements.

Here the cramped/cluttered rooms are about to be released as Grandson and partner leave at the end of next week and we can move our storage back to the rooms we gave up for them. Time to re-organize! Everything even! Or is that too ambitious? He passed his teacher's course with 'Outstanding' comments :clap:- we couldn't ask for more! Well done him - I know how it feels - I did mine in 1967/8.

I too have books too large for all but one shelf, reserved for that reason. Conveniently it's at the bottom of the unit. I'll have to have a category that means 'Too Big For Usual Shelves' (TBFUS? or just Too Big (TB) for short). If necessary I'll get another shelf unit, perhaps take my DVDs out of the drawers and organize them as well :D they are smaller and I could always add extra shelves.
jim

getdusty
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Jim, "reorganize everything"...how ambitious! I love when everything is newly organized; it just doesn't seem to stay that way in my house and there is only me to blame (I suppose I could try laying some on the cats and dog :) ) Congrats to your grandson...well done! and congrats to you on getting your space back.
Judi, hoping hubby is feeling better. My comment above goes double for pastel sticks...can't ever seem to keep them in order.
Robert, that's great you get a bit of art in everyday. I seem to get too distracted by everything else and then I do nothing. At least going to class makes me do something each week.
Will try to set up a plein air "kit". Have to stock a cigar box I have with some of the "other halves" of pastels that are stored away. Also trying to downsize my boxes that I take to class. I love all those luscious colors, but I just don't need to lug them all around. Of course, that won't stop me from getting more...lol

robertsloan2
08-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Peg, LOL blaming the cats and dog for disorganization! I suspect that comes down to "the cats blame the dog and the dog says sorry." Have you ever seen the Steve Cash "talking kitty" videos? Two cats and a dog, the main cat character Sylvester gets a bit vulgar in his language but he's hilarious. Talking Kitty link (https://www.youtube.com/user/stevecash83) goes to the human's page. One of his links is to all of them in order, there's sort of a continuing plot from their introduction to the current one. There's also his recent "diary" series that stands along and some very funny songs!

I used to do daily art for a long time - on this same basis, if I didn't make time for it during the day or feel up to it I'll squeeze in a quick gesture sketch in my journal or sketchbook. I wind up spending more time thinking about painting when I'm not up to it if I'm doing that, all the daydreaming fantasizing about painting tends to make it better when I get around to doing it. I also try to keep supplies really handy in order to maximize the chance I'm up to it.

I love the idea of your plein air box! I'm sort of half tempted to do that myself, have an empty new wooden box I got on sale that all I'd need to do is pad it and find some foam to lay over its sections. I might try that one of these days and ooh... use some other halves to fill it, I might get a pretty good range into it. Except that I'm really loath to break the Ludwigs, they are such a useful size unbroken.

It sounds like a good project. Downsizing your class boxes makes sense too, reduces weight and footprint and space needed. Know the feeling about all those luscious colors though! I've been refining my plein air backpack every two weeks since I started sketching on my clinic visits, so I might be doing the same thing with a wooden box I got on sale at Blick a couple months ago. It was designed for paint but you just reminded me that I could pad it and use it for pastels, especially if I got some foam out of set boxes to set it up.

It's possible to get a lot of luscious color into a small box. I saw Colorix put together a 100 piece plein air box in a 30 piece slotted foam Art Spectrum box using the slots for 3-4 pieces each. Makes sense to use the smaller pieces for plein air and the untouched pieces in the studio!

Jim, way cool about your reorganizing and getting those rooms back. Loads of space for everything, sounds like a task with a great reward. Congratulations to your grandson on his Outstanding, that totally rocks! He's got a great start and you've got a space back!

I used to call mine the Oversize shelf like the library did, but TB as a list title would make sense too. It's not that hard to find things on the Oversize shelf and since I moved, I have so few books that the Oversize shelf is like the only one with books on it. I have more supplies on shelving than books now because of getting the Kindle, and now with the Kindle Fire sometimes I get art books on the Kindle too.

Mij
08-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Hiya Peg. Yes I resonate with the 'reorganize everything'. It is ambitious as well as things have been slid under beds, behind wardrobes/cupboards and crammed into drawers. I also need another book case as the other one is overflowing.....It is also time I put the DVDs onto shelves as they are so inconvenient in a drawer. All of our rooms are cluttered and we do not have any animals to blame it on. Look out charity shops we need to off load :lol:. The most difficult stuff for me to get rid of are the technical books that once formed the basis of my day job. They were so hard to come by :cat:. My wife is the same with her books, they are way out of date now :confused:. But we do not need them anymore......

Hi Robert, I am going to stay with my ink-tense pencils for the outdoors work. The little bag I have holds everything I need including a water-brush pen. I do carry a wrap that holds the ink-tense sticks as well but up to now I have not used them. I'll have to review the necessity of carrying them about. I probably use the camera as much as anything. It is so convenient and such a time saver.

Ok on the over size shelf, OS is just as useful as TB :lol:.
jim

robertsloan2
08-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Makes much sense to me, Jim! I think it's a side effect of having a house that things accumulate. I can understand the emotional attachment to technical books no longer needed, especially if they were expensive and hard to get. Very frustrating. I've wound up losing most of my books in so many separate moves that I'm now grateful to have the Kindle. At least I have a lot of books in one place that I can get at easily.

Got the newest Claudia Nice pen and watercolor landscapes one. Miss the print ones I left in Arkansas but this is nice and readable on the Kindle.

Inktense are great for a quick sketch medium especially with a water brush. The sticks are good too but the advantage of pencils is clean hands, if you sweat using Inktense sticks can leave fingers stained. I go through rounds of that too - stuff I put in the backpack and carried around for weeks or months but never used, vs. stuff I always use. Might wind up reworking the backpack and bringing the Dakota Traveller next time I do pastels in the clinic garden since the Traveller is not that large - only problem is how to lay it out if I'm sitting in the walker. I need a lap sized one.

Mij
08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
You have just reminded me to put a pack of wet wipes in the car for those ink-tense sticks :thumbsup:.
jim

robertsloan2
08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Oh good point! I should get some of those. I had a giant pack of baby wpes but eventually after using about 2/3 of it, the rest got kind of moldy and I threw it out. Smaller packs are probably a better idea.

No art yesterday and I need to find something to do today. Feeling sluggish. Don't know why Fridays tend to be a low day, it's just something about Fridays. I've got the journals but if I pastel I'd rather use sketch paper and work a little bigger. I want something easy.

Mij
08-23-2014, 11:02 AM
That is what happened to the last lot :clear:, they dried up.
I've completed the next stage on the pastel box which is marking off the sides ready for sawing to size. I'll probably cut too large and sand to fit.
A BTW is that I am doing other things with art even though I set no goals other than the pastel box :lol:, I can't help it. I was born that way :D.
jim

For image junkies:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2014/69634-sides_marked_for_cutting.jpg

robertsloan2
08-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Wow this is going to be great! Cutting a bit large and sanding to size sounds very precise, like this is going to be an excellent pastel box when you're done. This rocks! Congratulations on progress, Jim!

I charted my Blue Earths yesterday, though the turquoise T4A isn't here yet for it. I'm looking forward to that but need to use a Ludwig white with them since the color that looked near white is the same value as the yellow.

Mij
08-23-2014, 11:39 PM
I charted my Blue Earths yesterday, though the turquoise T4A isn't here yet for it. I'm looking forward to that but need to use a Ludwig white with them since the color that looked near white is the same value as the yellow.
I think that Unison add yellow to warm up the lights but don't know if other makes do similar to maintain the temperature status. Perhaps that is what happened. Anyway they are now broken in :thumbsup:. Well done that man!

I have done the top shelf of the book case this evening, A through to H.
Tomorrow I have archery so I'll see how I feel after some exercise :).
jim

robertsloan2
08-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Sounds good! I primed a page in my pastel journal today with AS Multimedia Primer, wound up tearing a tiny chunk of paper on the back that stuck to the following page but otherwise it came out fine.

robertsloan2
08-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Pen sketches today for the WDE in my Zeta journal. Two cool Thailand cats and the little girl that was playing with one of them. I don't often do people but I'm tempted to do Eye's children because they're cute as kittens. The one playing with a cat was a definite! Also the striped tyre with a face and enormous ears was so cool, comfy country cat.

Mij
08-24-2014, 08:49 PM
I saw those on the journal thread Robert, well done and no pencil either.
I still cant do peeps no matter how I try - in fact looking at past work today I seem to have gotten worse. Whilst reorganising I saw some of the work I did for the 101 course, Rudy De-Reyna's book and Betty Edward's book and I have definitely got worse. So the practice has not worked for me. I will try again this next academic year though.
jim

robertsloan2
08-25-2014, 02:44 AM
Oh try again, Jim! I was surprised at how well the little girl came out because I usually get body proportions off and expressions. I'm getting a lot better at that, all that reading the how to draw comics book paid off. I've been trying to do people like that all my life - quick pen drawings, accurate ones, you can recognize who it is. Now I'm getting it, starting to. She's still a tiny bit distorted in face, not quite precisely what I'd intended, but there are more photos of her and her sister in the WDE and you can tell the likeness, which sister she is. In my mind I'm comparing the results with the guys that do comic books... and they pencil first so I'm really an idiot doing it the way I do, right? Pretty darn silly, if I want that accuracy I should pencil and fix and ink when it's right and erase.

Might do that on the next ones. Might help the kitties too. I liked them but I'm seeing little tiny things I could do better on them.

Yay today was a good art day, I used my sanded page and Blue Earths pastels! Found out how they blend and how they look unblended on sanded paper, not how they layer once it's completely covered though. They are super soft and probably better finishers than to try layering that much all the way through. Might post more in the Blue Earths thread.

Mij
08-25-2014, 04:36 AM
I forgot the outdoor kit when I got the W&N wire bound sketch books, they are larger! They probably wont fit. I have one new stitch bound book left to compare sizes and it is definitely smaller than the wire bound. Oh no, the stitch bound only just fits in......:crossfingers:......Gets up and tries it......

Oh no, it doesn't fit in the pocket where the stitched one fitted. Its too thick.
It does go into the middle where I put the pencil wraps though... Phew! That was close :eek:.

I have looked over here for a pastel sketchbook with the pages separated with a glasscene (sp?) sheet but found nothing. I resorted to doing my own but it remains quite empty.
jim

Mij
08-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Having organised what I thought were all the DVD's, I came across some more which now wont fit in my desk... The wooden racks online are 17.00 something. SWMBO suggested making one as it's only a bit of flat wood glued/screwed together. So I now have another project - make a DVD rack for the top of the now organised book case.:cool:
The hardware shop was open for four hours today :D - it is a bank holiday over here.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2014/69634-DVD_rack_wood.jpg

Judibelle
08-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Oh My, Jim....you DO have your troubles! hpe you get things straightened out soon, and get the project DONE!

Interesting, your take on the Blue Earths , Rob.. they don't sound like anything I'll rush out to get... glad to hear you are progressing in your sketchbook!

Today was the last day of class for this session of pastels class...it was all very worthwhile. He talked today about (and showed how to) apply a homemade fix for watercolor paper, using pumice,water, and gesso.Some of the group did one today....I chose to use the regular sanded paper.

I had a photo that was mostly large shapes, so early on I turned the photo (and my painting) upside down to capture the shapes and values. He was so impressed that he showed it to the class! Said I have really progressed and he is very happy with my work to this point.
When I turned it right side up it really looked good. a few minor adjustments, and he said 'Sign it!' So I was very happy about that.

Trying to upload it to show you-all, but still can't quite figure out how to get it from Picasa to the upload image. first have to figure out how to shut off MacAffee...that still won't let my up-load

Judibelle
08-25-2014, 08:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2014/103700-1-Scan0003.jpg

I think this is the right one...it was way too large for the scanner, and this is oversized. It really does look better than the scan presented...

getdusty
08-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Jim, glad the sketchbook fits. Isn't it always the way..."first" project not yet completed and another pops up. As for finding the CDs after all the others were in their assigned places sounds like my pastels. At the end of class afetr I've packed away everything, one little errant pastel shows up. I swear that it hid and then popped out. :)
Judi, so glad the classes were worthwhile. I've heard about turning the reference upside down so we look at shapes and it's harder for our brains to name the "thing" which then leads to our preconceived notions. Yay! You've proved that it works.

Nick7
08-26-2014, 03:25 AM
Judi, great painting! The class must have been fun.

Adding a new goal for August... To try to find ballance between pastes and watercolors LOL. I attended my first watercolor workshop during the past weekend and loved it.
Now I need to buy supplies... Hmm :D
I have been busy lately, no time to get my fingers dusty though :(

Mij
08-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Hi there JudiB. You managed the up-loader then, it is a bit temperamental, isn't it. Yes it looks fine and I can see why he exampled it to the rest of the group. I came across the image that I did upside down and remember the remarks from others in the group, they thought I had cheated had I done so it would have competed with Dr Who's adversaries.

Hello Peg, yes new things are always popping up here. It is a wonder that I do anything on schedule, mind you it is not boring either :lol:. I have errant things as well but it does depend on what medium I'm using as to what pops up. Could it be me? Nooooooooooo, never :angel:.

Hi there Nick7. It is difficult to balance all the mediums. I love them all and invariably want to do a picture in all the mediums. Each has its own intricacies and beauties and I love them all. I suppose I am most happy with a graphite pencil and sketch-book but for studio would choose charcoal, even though it's the messiest of all. I really don't know though and this leaves me in a dilemma each month which challenge should I try? How does it compare to archery, computers, family and . and.... SWMBO's needs? :D

Ah well, this month is closing fast. It is raining again today so I hope I can get the remaining DVDs sorted even if I do no more on the pastel box. Perhaps I can finish the DVD holder/shelf :crossfingers:.
Jim

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Cool DVD holder/shelf, Jim. It looks simple and you might manage to get that done. You did get progress on the pastel box though, got much farther on it. Good luck on getting the time to do any more on it. Your life's all full of interruptions and adventures. I think the pastel box is going to be great when you get it done. Thanks for the photo!

JudiB - Wow! Love the landscape you did in class. It's spectacular! Painting upside down really worked for you. I can see why it'd look better than the scan, scans can distort and simplify colors something awful. Cameras too sometimes. I love those reflections in the water, the shapes of the trees and the graceful interesting line of the bank at the edge of the water. You've got something wonderful in this one.

Purring and happy, day is still young and I've got the itch to pastel today. But I also set a reminder to cut a mat today for the pastel sketch I did for the clinic, and to put the fixative can into my backpack to fix and mat the sketch for the clinic nurse to hang it. She's kept it in a folder and I forgot to do that before my last appointment but she really liked it. White mat, it's a very light colored sketch and all the paintings they have hanging have white mats in their frames.

Judibelle
08-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks, everyone....it was quite different from what I usually do, but I really like the concept of painting from an upside down photo. In fact, I have started one today. One that I had done before, in a different season, (autumn)very colorful. This one is a more spring-like one, with more greens,and looks quite UN-like the first!

One thing the instructor stressed was determining VALUES before we start, as well as SHAPES (not 'things').

Yesterday he also discussed homemade sands for regular or watercolor paper. Gesso, (both sides), then 1 part pumice, 1 part water and 4 parts gesso.
I"m thinking I may try it, as I have a lot of watercolor paper which I never used.
anyway, I am quite inspired to keep painting now, but need new photos for references, as I have exhausted mine that are compositionally suitable.

Mij
08-26-2014, 05:04 PM
It seems that most peeps have met goals even if they weren't listed at the front of the month.

I have typed in all the DVDs authors and titles. All in alphabetical order of the author.They are separated into mediums and I was surprised that I had so many oils and so few pastel ones. I completed the wooden DVD rack and partially filled it with oil DVDs. I have put a photo up of the bookcase (now partially empty having filled a couple of bags for the charity shops) and topped by the home made wooden DVD rack (needing a coat of oil or varnish or something that takes that whiteness off).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2014/69634-bookcase_with_homemade_DVD_rack.jpg

and the desk top has a space for DVDs which I have not utilised before.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2014/69634-watercolour_and_pastel_DVDs.jpg

I don't know why I didn't think of the desktop before, Perhaps because I had four empty drawers in the wardrobe.
Jim (an unlisted goal met :thumbsup:)

Judibelle
08-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Well done, Jim...Looks Great!

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Yay for the DVD rack and finding the shelf on the desk for them. That rocks. Very organized! Yay for an unlisted goal met.

I do that too sometimes. Got the mat cut for the sketch I did for the clinic, which they are actually going to frame and hang up there. Put the fixative can in the back pack. Must remember to put the TAPE in the back pack too or I'll be mounting it with non archival medical tape.

There, glad I came back to post this because it made me remember the tape. Really important, that.

Also did a page of Scavenger Hunt items including a self portrait in pen, which sadly did not come up to my desired level of "pen drawing like a comic book" but did come closer than the last time I tried doing a shaded pen drawing of anyone and you can tell it's me. I might have wanted to go more for caricature on it. But I did get the big ear, long face, long nose and squinty eye. Beard and mustache darker than life by way of pen contrast.

Mij
08-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Judi and Robert.

Beard and mustache darker than life by way of pen contrast.
Methinks you need a new avatar Robert :).
jim

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Beard and mustache are a lot darker and thicker than in the avatar when I was just starting the beard and mustache hadn't really darkened enough to show, but, I tried to upload a newer one and WC isn't accepting it. So I have no idea how to get it to do so. I reduced it and lightened it up as much as I could but could not bring the photo in with few enough K to pass. Just frustrating.

I'll try again sometime with a blank wall behind me and see if I can reduce the complexity of the colors in the painting. It really didn't work to just blur out what was there, still was too large a file.

getdusty
08-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Good job Jim, finding unexpected storage is always a plus! :)

getdusty
08-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Something's weird with wc today. Whenever i try to post I get an error message and then when I go back, my post is there! Ghosts in the machine....

Mij
08-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Sorry duplicate post.
jim

Mij
08-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Something's weird with wc today. Whenever i try to post I get an error message and then when I go back, my post is there! Ghosts in the machine.... Hullo Peg.
I just got that the page was unavailable and a button to try again. I know from past experience that there was no point in trying so just left it and assumed they were working on something. Besides we had shopping to get :).
jim

PS Just got a message saying that post was successful but it could not be referenced in the data base and there was an error Ox9381:D

robertsloan2
08-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I got that too just now and earlier I was just getting "page is refusing to load" or "website is not available" messages. At least I can see WC now. The usual site glitch.

robertsloan2
08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Jim, I just got that too but it lied, my post did not go through! Typical site gremlins. Very frustrating.

robertsloan2
08-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Painted in my pastel journal today with color Conte and also sketched through the clinic window, but wiped out from my clinic visit so I'll photo and post later. Daily art achieved though!

robertsloan2
08-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Got something artish done already, matted and framed the Shell painting from this Spotlight. Now that it's safely on the wall I have my drawing board free and a nice chunk of archival white mat board ready to use.

robertsloan2
08-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Daily art three Scavenger Hunt life sketches. Not my best but not my worst and it's practice, one is an Ari profile.

Mij
08-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Something's weird with wc today. Whenever i try to post I get an error message and then when I go back, my post is there! Ghosts in the machine....
And today.....been trying to post piccies of the new sketchbook board and tripod after seeing James Gurney's last week but have been stymied by servers not playing ball, my own as well as WC's.

I liked Your latest Robert. Unusual perspective from that height as well.
Jim (back to see if I can get a post into addicts)

robertsloan2
08-30-2014, 02:32 AM
Yay purr, Jim! Glad you got through the gremlins, it's been doing that to me on and off for a few days now with error messages and not showing the post and occasionally not posting the post.

Daily art today, spent over an hour painting an apple from life in watercolour with a U because it's Winsor & Newton ones, about life size 2 1/2" across the fruit, 5" square image area. I can't believe I did all that nutty stuff with the mingling and tipping and runs and dabbing up and lifting and messing with it every which way as it dried. That long of fiddling and watching paint dry. I wanted to do watercolour today and dangit I did, more like a watercolourist than like someone who uses it to substitute for markers (as I usually do.) Next thing you know I'll be letting runs drip down the page on purpose. (Shudder)

Mij
08-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Hiya Robert, yes shudder is right though your apple looks good. A useful experiment.

I did finish the sketching tripod and board. The tripod is a cheapie with no quick release on it but none needed as this will reside in the boot (trunk?) of my car. It is incredibly light. Also the bottom legs are so flimsy but again I will be using this from the sitting position so those will not be extended. Images have now been up-loaded to the addicts page so view them from there. That is another unlisted goal completed. Today is bright and dry so far (09:30) so might get some more done before the month ends tomorrow.
Jim

PS From the seated position it looks like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2014/69634-sketching_position.jpg

Nick7
08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I have stolen my son's school watercolor pans :eek: Because I can get my own in a week or so and how am I supposed to wait so long, right? :D

I am pretty happy with fulfilling my goalposts this month. I have painted and drawn a lot, resisted the temptation to throw away some works (and many times discovered several days later that it was not THAT bad to be thrown away :rolleyes: ). I resisted the temptation to buy new pastels (except for four Rembrandt sticks. I don't know if I like them. I managed to scratch the paper the first time I used the side of the stick, but the white creates very nice and very different effect than the Sennelier white I have).
I think I overdid it a bit with buying books (Sketching by Jackie, Skies and water, Sunlight and shadow and Your artists brain). Some are way above my level, but they cheered me up, and that counts :D
And I managed to draw in public (I was nervous as hell, but did it and it counts too :clap: )
Wow, I haven't written anything so positive about me in ages :clear:

Mij
08-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi there Nick. You do not have to admit to stealing to satisfy your craving just borrowing sounds better :angel:. Anyway who provided them first off? Father Christmas :lol:. Oh there is one make of sticks that have a hard coating but I cannot remember which.
I have a number of books that I'll probably never fully utilise but they make interesting reading anyway :wink2:.
Wow you went outdoors and drew? That deserves some applause :clap::clap::clap:.
It does get easier and easier. The more you do it the more you like it and the more you will want to get out doors. If you take your son with you it will not hold any fear for him.

Robert, see what your daily sketching has inspired in some of us :thumbsup:.
Jim

Nick7
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Jim, it was the other way round actually. I was stunned that my son was absolutely OK with drawing while other people were looking over his shoulder (we were at the Zoo). So, I gritted my teeth and tried as well :D

Yep, Rob is my great inspiration :) And this whole web in general. It's a lifesaver for me.

Mij
08-30-2014, 01:12 PM
I was stunned that my son was absolutely OK with drawing while other people were looking over his shoulder (we were at the Zoo). So, I gritted my teeth and tried as well :D

That is so good to hear. It's lovely that the kids do not grow up with the inhibitions that we inherited from our peers.
jim

robertsloan2
08-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Purr thanks, Nick! Jim, wow, looking good! That rocks. It's great to get unplanned goals done along the way.

As usual I don't even remember what this month's goals were except that daily art was one of them and I did more of it this month. I'm going to go check my first post and then edit my response in - maybe even count up the number of daily drawing days I had, because I might have more days with art than not. Especially if I count art-ish activity like mat cutting.

WOW! I counted up and so far 25 out of 29 days I've done daily art. This is enormous. I'm much closer to having the habit regular again, which is still my top goal until I can just count on it as a habit. Very good that it worked this month.

1. Paint a Spotlight - DONE
2. Daily Sketching - health permitting. Trying for it helps! 25 out of 29
3. Get out for plein air at least once. - DONE
4. Continue posting actively and drawing demos for interested beginners. - Yeah more or less. Can't remember if I actually drew a demo as such but sure explained things a lot and did PM mentoring, a whole lot of posting actively and teaching. I count this one.

Haven't done today's Daily Art yet but certainly will. Wow. It's been a long time since I checked off all goals and "health permitting" applies. I got a lot closer to Daily Art No Matter What this month. I'd like to get that to "unless I'm unconscious 24 hours at least a doodle." I think that matters and I opened a third journal that I've had sitting around forever too good to use - the accordion fold pocket Moleskine really is just a pocket Moleskine and breaking it in with ballpoint sketches means I can use it like that. Treat it as a sketchbook. Just scribble things in it and cat gestures by default, the fuzz boy got in as the fifth sketch.

Nick, read over your goals too and I think the only one you might not have done is a Colin Bradley demo in pastel pencils. Everything else you've done it and done it so well! YAY for not throwing out anything you painted or drew, that truly rocks. It's a relief to find things that aren't as bad as you thought at first. Sometimes the best things look awful at first glance and the urge to bin it becomes more intense than if it really was lousy.

26/30 daily artworks as I just sketched Ari Cat again sleeping in a funny position with his paws sticking out every which way.

Nick7
08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Wow, Rob, you did well! So many sketches and paintings!

And I actually did two demos of Colin. An apple and a weeping willow tree :)

This is great. I have never looked back like this at the end of the month. It really helps to see that the month was not that bad :)

I need to try the daily sketches too

getdusty
08-30-2014, 05:19 PM
I have to say a big Thank You to Robert. After reading the responses to my "pastel sketchbook" thread, I followed Robert and made my own. Found a small spiral bound watercolor pad (with about 6 clean pages left in it). Primed the pages with Art Spectrum (leaving an edge...something else gleaned from Robert) and attached a sheet of tracing paper to each page. Then, I finally dug out a cigar box I had acquired some time ago, fitted it with memory foam (in the bottom of the box and glued it to the inside of the lid), sorted through my stored away pastel halves (and thirds) and put together a small plein air "kit". The book and box will fit in a lunch bag that has a shoulder strap. If the storms hold off until later tomorrow, I think I'll go down by the river tomorrow morning and try it out. Thanks again for the idea, Robert. (and while I sat outside sorting and gluing and priming, I also did a quick study of some Rose of Sharon trees in my yard. Not real successful, but hey, I did some art today! :) )

robertsloan2
08-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Peg, that is so wonderful! Wow, thank you! I like your plein air kit and need to sort some foam out to fill a little wooden painting box I got from Blick on sale - it's cigar box ish but with narrow deep compartments for paint tubes or mediums and a long brush compartment, but I could just use those as uneven pastel sections if I can lay pieces of foam in just right. Glad my idea helped! You did better than I did because when I primed the sunset page I didn't put an edge on it, just went right out to the edge on mine. That is so great!

Nick WOW congratulations on all goals accomplished! I didn't realize you'd done the Colin Bradley too! Fantastic! Daily sketching is a great idea. I came real close to it this time. 26 out of 30 is really good, much more than I thought I had. I'd been hoping that I'd get more than 15, manage it more often than not!

Starting to think about next month's goals, will be pretty simple I think. Stick to the daily art or art activity again and try to make it every single day something even if it's just a scribble.

Mij
08-31-2014, 05:39 AM
Gosh! What a successful month all around! And Judi you are making your own pastel paper. That is so good.

Peg, you made your own sketching pad after Roberts post. Well done, I hope to see some here or in the sketching page.

Nick you have accomplished all of your goals so that has to be mission accomplished! We would like to see the outcomes.

Robert you have done well. You have inspired us all with the sketching on your trips during the week and how to make your own skecthing book/pad.. To have done some art 26/30 days and still today to go. Mind you having Ari about as a model helps.

I did manage some time on the pastel box which was the only goal I set for this month. I did complete some unlisted goals that took my fancy or it seemed natural to do them now. I catalogued my books and DVD's as well as made a DVD shelf and outdoor sketching tripod and board (after James Gurney's design) to fit my W&N sketching books.(A5, A4 when opened flat).
I feel quite happy about this month.
Didn't we do well?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
jim

Judibelle
08-31-2014, 11:17 AM
YAY! Yes, we all did well! I did better than I thought I would. In between classes I did a couple more paintings which I asked the instructor to critique. He gave me some good advice on each, and I am happy...

See you-all next month!

robertsloan2
08-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Purr thank you Jim! Whoohoo, I think we have a sweep, August was just a tremendous, successful month!

I did it - 27/31 days daily drawing. Today's is a WDE sketch of a Welsh castle done in about five minutes because of its size and that I penciled perspective lines before inking. Wow. That method worked. It is literally the best castle I've ever drawn and I would not be embarrassed to use it in a fairy tale ilustration.