PDA

View Full Version : dibond as alternative to gator foam

annette71
07-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello all... i'm thinking about switching from gator foam to dibond as support for my UART paper (in search for more permanence of my work). I love gatorfoam because it's the most rigid foam and takes well the 3M neutral adhesive i use to glue the paper in. But i read recently that gator foam is not as durable because it is not archival.

Does anyone know "how long" one can expect gator foam to last once it's inside a frame?

I hear Dibond is a better alternative for permanence purposes because it does not degrade in time (it's plastic sandwiched in aluminum sheets). Is it light weight like gator?

Is Dibond cost-comparable to gatorfoam? I don't mind it being a little more expensive than gatorfoam if need be, but i hope the difference is not too much.

If anyone can recommend an online store that carries Dibond for art, cut to specified sizes i would greatly appreciate it...

Also, if you have any ideas on alternatives to Dibond, i would also love to hear about them... i'm looking for anything lightweight and archival (or as close to archival as possible).

Best,

Annette

westcoast_Mike
07-30-2014, 07:10 PM
My take is that gator foam will probably outlive you. I know of a several manufacturers using it to mount both pastel stock and canvases to. If you are happy with it, I see no reason to switch over permanace.

Blayne
07-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Annette, I had never heard of Dibond. A Bing search brought up results which included the supplier in the link below. Their webpage gives prices per sheet and states there is an $89 cutting charge. It also has a link for ordering samples. Please let us know how you like the Dibond if you decide to use it.
http://www.tri-dee.com/Dibond%20Aluminium%20Composite%20Panels.htm