PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ludwig Mystery Box

Devonlass
07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Just received my mystery box from Terry Ludwig. I have bought them for each of the last three years and am always excited to open them and see what treasures lie within. Very happy with the selection this year.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2014/141077-photo-9.jpg

robertsloan2
07-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Oooh lovely mix in yours this year! That's great! He still organizes them well, some tints, some darks, nice range of colors!

I'm going to get one as soon as I get my check on the 1st - it runs till the 2nd so I can wait.

Are you going to try doing a painting just with those sticks? You could really, the range is great! I think you could do a nice landscape or still life with it. Maybe fruit tray with grapes and red fruits and yellow ones? That's almost a candy dish assortment with those lovely tints!

Nick7
07-30-2014, 02:19 PM
So nice, thanks for sharing. Every time I see cardstock stack (different solid colours) or now pastel sticks, I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)

Still-trying
07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Must.....resist..... Nice! I wasn't going to buy but you're tempting me. Love the yellows.

Nick7
07-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Why are these pastels so tempting and special? :) You must have a lot of pastels already...

Devonlass
07-30-2014, 05:53 PM
I can never have too many of Terry's pastels.

Nick7
07-30-2014, 06:54 PM
I can never have too many of Terry's pastels.
lol!

I have only Senneliers and I love them. Apart from them I have only tried Koh-I-Noor set, so I don't know anything about TL. But I really like the colours.

Here is an old conversation where Bill Cone talks about TL and about what it means to have ehough pastels :)
http://billcone.blogspot.com/2008/07/totoro-forest-project.html?m=1

Saskia
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Oh my, those are nice! Has anyone ever tried ordering more than one? I'm wondering how many duplicates there would be.

Blayne
07-31-2014, 10:28 AM
I love this line from the TL ad for the mystery boxes:

'Please save these "seconds" sticks from a life in the back room, never to create great art. *(Sob!)'

It's nice to see they have a sense of humor.

BruceF
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I just ordered 2 boxes. I'm curious what I'll get. I love Terry Ludwig's pastels.

robertsloan2
08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I just got my order in by phone today - had a little trouble ordering on the site since I couldn't tell whether I had an account or not. So I phoned in, Terry answered in person and took my order. They're on their way!

Just like previous years, I'll do a painting with just what's in the box - and then get out all the rest of my Ludwigs and have fun. I'm thinking of trying them on Uart now that I have lots of Uart pieces. I haven't tried them on sanded paper because they're that soft, but they might go on lovely if I have a light hand with them so as not to use them up too fast.

Nick, thanks for the Bill Cone link! His comment on his pastels is spot on. I reached a comfort zone at about a thousand sticks and now I'm adding treats and new textures, each of which is a learning experience that expands my range. But when I get them all out I have to tier and sort them... and then I use about 20 or 30 sticks in a painting.

Just never exactly the same 20 or 30 sticks if I'm at home, which I am most of the time.

What I love about Ludwigs. Square shape, super soft texture, the ability to get two widths of broad painterly strokes or sharp lines with the edges or sharp points with the corners. The color ranges are great. The texture's lovely and I'm getting better with the super softs all the time. I also have yet to see a Mystery Box that wasn't in its own way a complete small palette - some darks, some bright, some muted and some lights. More than one of each. Usually some attempt at the spectrum there in one form or another though not all brights. Which makes for a delightful random palette exercise. Every one of them's different and every one puts in a color that I wind up loving and finding essential - even if it was an irreplaceable odd lot mis-mixed batch since it was seconds.

My favorite cerise was in one. My favorite aqua in another. A gorgeous muted green and a lovely range of pale tints. Having pale tints in a super soft texture is extremely useful.

sansea
08-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Received my mystery box yesterday and I was so excited to see that though I have several boxes of Terry Ludwigs , I didn't have a repeat.
I ordered last year with the same luck too.
I tried to show a photo of them but I'm having trouble uploading with my ipad .
Best pastels of all!

robertsloan2
08-01-2014, 10:23 PM
It's spooky the way he does it. I have yet to get any repeats either and this year's is going to be another happy surprise! I had to wait for my check to come in, but it instant deposited today and they're on their way. Post a photo, sansea?

sansea
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I can't seem to post any photos lately , using an ipad . Do you have advice for posting ..have done it before but not working . I'll try again.

sansea
08-01-2014, 11:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2014/60863-image.jpg think it will work .:)

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Gorgeous assortment! I like that blue-violet and the rich cold red next to it. Also the soft red-violet. The tints. Oh heck you got a whole box of good ones and yep, full spectrum regardless of tints and mutedness. The soft muted red violet is a particularly lovely color and could work well in portraits or florals or accents in landscapes, shadows on red sandstone...

Nick7
08-02-2014, 02:52 AM
I like the way you talk abou your pastel, Rob.

The truth is I want them terribly :D I am not able to appreaciate the darks yet, but I like the lights - grey, beige and sort of pinkish.
But if I struggle to paint a peach fuzz with Sennelier, I don't think I "deserve" to have TL. They are out of my league.
Besides, you are probably supposed to not break them in half, and they seems to big for little strokes (=more struggle for me).

I need to set some goal and if/after I reach it I can treat myself with TL...

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Nick, that's silly. TL has a different texture even if it's in the same category. A bargain is a bargain. Terry Ludwigs are the only sticks I don't break in half because they're shaped like half sticks. They are easier to use for small details than Sennelier's shape because of the corners and edges. Valuable because they are super soft but can get tiny details and sharp short fine lines with the edges.

If you don't get them this year, he holds that sale every year. It's a good way to try them for less expense. They handle a little differently than Sennelier. I have them in the category but they are quite different and lend themselves to those broad strokes and to tiny details.

jakertanner
08-02-2014, 02:20 PM
I went to their site, but didn't get a link to add to the cart..I wanted to see how much shipping is to NJ. Anyone else have the add to cart issue? Thanks.

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I had no trouble adding it to the cart but had trouble at checkout either creating an account or finding out if I had one, it just looped. I think he may have some site issues. You could call him and ask about it. I don't know if he stays on the phone on Saturdays, the number was listed only M-F but you could try emailing and ask if he can take your order by phone.

Saskia
08-02-2014, 03:46 PM
I went to their site, but didn't get a link to add to the cart..I wanted to see how much shipping is to NJ. Anyone else have the add to cart issue? Thanks.
They took them off the website last night. I bought one, but had another one in my cart I was going to get too. But when I logged on last night I got a message saying it had been removed from my cart because it could no longer be purchased. I assume they sold out.

You could always try calling if you want to check, though. I would have done so if I hadn't already gotten one.

Saskia
08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Oh, Sansea, I love yours! Those colors are a perfect small collection. Like a little, marketable mini-set! I'm sure you could do many paintings with just those.

jakertanner
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Wow, sold out? They are still on the site advertised as mystery box...How can they sell out of pastels? Anyway, makes up my mind easier I guess...lol

Saskia
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Sold out is just a guess on my part. All I know is the message said they could no longer be purchased. It seems logical, since they only have so many "seconds" (pastels which did not come out quite perfect) to choose from. That's what the mystery boxes are: a random sampling of the not-quite-perfect pastels for a reduced price.

But like I said, if you want to know for sure, it is easy to call and ask. I didn't do it since to ask for a second box if they are sold out just seems greedy. I am happy with my one.

sansea
08-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Sorry that you couldn't get in to order ..for Nick , get what you want to paint with if affordable ..TL are not for anyone special ..I do not break them either ..
And yesSaskia the box I have will stay together and I will use that pallet for a challenge ! Maybe throwing a few in !
Happily painting in NY 😉

jakertanner
08-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Sold out is just a guess on my part. All I know is the message said they could no longer be purchased. It seems logical, since they only have so many "seconds" (pastels which did not come out quite perfect) to choose from. That's what the mystery boxes are: a random sampling of the not-quite-perfect pastels for a reduced price.

But like I said, if you want to know for sure, it is easy to call and ask. I didn't do it since to ask for a second box if they are sold out just seems greedy. I am happy with my one.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought by seconds they meant colors..lol Got it, ok makes more sense then. Even though, not such a tremendous discount..like $13 off what you would pay online anyway. So seconds could also mean that the color is off? That wouldn't be good for reordering right? Kinda glad I didn't now.

Saskia
08-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought by seconds they meant colors..lol Got it, ok makes more sense then. Even though, not such a tremendous discount..like $13 off what you would pay online anyway. So seconds could also mean that the color is off? That wouldn't be good for reordering right? Kinda glad I didn't now.

No, it is not a color issue. They are just sticks that got chipped or molded with small air holes in them and things like that. The ones in the picture on the website are perfect examples.

BruceF
08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm sure I'll find out this week when my mystery boxes arrive, but do they come with a list of which ones are in the box so you can reorder that color later?

jakertanner
08-02-2014, 09:13 PM
well, moot point at this stage anyway. Sale was till today, and I guess I missed it. :(

Devonlass
08-02-2014, 09:17 PM
No Bruce, there's no color guide. (Sorry for double post - almost)

Devonlass
08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
No Bruce, there's no color guide. Every box is different, so it would be too difficult for Terry to do that. Just enjoy them.

robertsloan2
08-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Bruce, the Mystery Box has seconds in it, including colors that the batch came out too dark or too bright or too light. So some of them can never be reordered anyway. That's part of the fun. They're one of a kind, unique pastels and every box is different.

BruceF
08-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Thanks Carol and Robert!

jakertanner
08-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Question...has anyone noticed a difference between the seconds texture and performance versus their first quality (normal) performance...for those who have both firsts and seconds? I am hoping to receive samples of the seconds, and just wondering how much of a difference there will be from the "real deal" line.

Thanks!

getdusty
08-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Jake, the only difference I've noticed is that the seconds sometimes have "air pockets" (which allows them to crumble a little) or a somewhat irregular edge on a side.

robertsloan2
08-04-2014, 12:36 AM
yeah. The seconds sometimes have a funny shape and of course their color might not be able to be duplicated, ever. But they handle just the same and are so beautiful. A good bargain.

jakertanner
08-04-2014, 09:14 AM
I can deal with imperfection..I am supposed to be receiving a sample of a second to try the product and just wanted to know if that is a good representation of the brand...can they be judged by their seconds alone?

Thanks.

getdusty
08-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Jake, I think they can, especially knowing that if there's anything different, the "first" will be even better!

robertsloan2
08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I would think so, especially since you're getting a sample from the maker. He'd know if the problem with it made it different from the rest of his line. The bubbles don't change the texture. Ludwigs aren't just super soft, they have a feel of their own. I noticed that over time I started handling all my pastels with a lighter hand and more variation in pressure after I started getting them - and they were the ones that first got me into "blocky strokes" in some instances, they cover an area fast and look like painting with a flat brush while I was more used to round brushes and crayons, pasteling with the tip.

Still-trying
08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
There is sometimes a 'crazy eight' sale from TL at another time of year. I bought two boxes last time they had that. I'll see if I find my receipt to let you know how much the two boxes of 8 were shipped to New Jersey.

BruceF
08-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Here are my mystery boxes :clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2014/16398-_BF72264.jpg

robertsloan2
08-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Wow! No duplicates and two great ranges! You're going to have so much fun with these. Love those strong pinks, reds and violets, this is a gorgeous floral palette and you could do some striking sunsets too. Good light blues for skies with nuances and variations! Enough greens to do the job, I like that light strong yellow green in the right side box.

Saskia
08-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Those are beautiful, Bruce! Terry Ludwig definitely knows how to put his sets together. You got some nice lights, midranges, and darks too. I am sure you will think of something great to paint with them.

Robert, thanks for the info about the colors on the seconds. I was under the impression that the colors were the same as the stock colors, but I was wrong. That is good to know!

I was reading a bit and it seems that one year Terry even put some pumice in them. He must have been experimenting. I think a pumice-y Ludwig would be quite interesting. Now I wish I could try one.

Potoma
08-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Here are my mystery boxes :clap:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2014/16398-_BF72264.jpg
You have great range! They could even be rearranged cool and warm.
That's what I did with three boxes a few years ago.

The sale of seconds is also at their factory. I think the number shipped also depends on how well sales went on site.

Surprised there aren't any MB little paintings. Hmmm...

jakertanner
08-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Jake, I think they can, especially knowing that if there's anything different, the "first" will be even better!

True..really can't wait then. Thanks

allydoodle
08-05-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a ton of Ludwigs, the majority of them purchased as sets, or open stock. I've purchased a few Mystery Boxes, I think 4. I'm embarrassed to say how many Ludwigs I have, but suffice to say I have way more from sets and open stock than I do Mystery Boxes.

I've mixed all but one set of the Mystery Boxes into my working palette, and honestly, it's not that easy to tell the difference. So, to answer questions about judging them for future purchases, you can pretty much assume that what you get in the Mystery Box is close to the real deal. As for color, I think many colors are perfect as they would be if ordered as open stock, it's just that he might have an over stock in that color and he needs to move it out. Not all the colors are "off", as a matter of fact I'd hazard a guess that many of the colors are pretty much spot on. I think what makes them "seconds", along with the possibility of the color being off and having too much of one color, is the fact that they might have air bubbles in them, or they might be a bit miss-shaped as compared to the full price sticks. He won't sell anything that isn't perfect. But, because they're not perfect doesn't mean that they aren't perfectly fine to paint with. He just can't ask full price for them (they are expensive, and customers expect perfect when paying full price).

That's my 2 cents, enjoy your Mystery Boxes, they are great fun to get in the mail! The surprise is always the best part, it's like a present you send to yourself, you just don't know what you are getting until you open the box.

BTW, the only reason I didn't order a box for myself is because I have so many, and I didn't want to run the risk of duplicates. I'm at the point where I need to order open stock so I can get exactly what I need/want. I really don't need nor do I want duplicates at this point. I have an order of 14 submitted (open stock, I guess my version of a Mystery Box, but I know what I ordered :lol: ). 7 greens and 7 oranges.... can't wait to see 'em!!!!

robertsloan2
08-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Wow, Chris! Sounds like an impressive collection. I've reached the point where after I get this year's Mystery Box, I want to open all the set boxes at once and see if I have a full range in Terry Ludwigs - and if I'm close, maybe put in an open stock order to complete it. That and get a large box from him if he'll sell one, maybe send my open stock in a couple of larger boxes so I can consolidate but keep them in his sturdy slotted foam boxes.

I'd integrate them into my Dakota Traveller but it's full, I would have to get a new larger one and move everything.

Post your oranges and greens when you get them, I'd love to see what you filled in around the edges with. I honestly don't care what mine are, I have so many good colors in them. Strong on sunset colors set, violets and blues, with some gorgeous magentas... might want to get more greens if I don't find they're all together in the Mystery Boxes. I know I've got some great aqua and turquoise sticks and lots of lovely lights and darks.

allydoodle
08-06-2014, 01:00 AM
It sounds like you've got a nice collection Robert. I just didn't want any duplicates, and there is a good chance I would have gotten some, hence the open stock order. Sure I will post a photo :) . I think Terry sells his empty boxes, I know I saved all of mine. I do use them, I don't keep all of them in the Heilman, I sometimes bring them out for plein air. His boxes come in handy.

jakertanner
08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I just received some seconds...mostly primary colors, and they are a bit smaller than I thought they'd be looking at the pictures online, but I love the softness...afraid to use them on sanded paper...lol

Edit: tried the blue and red on La Cart paper..incredible. I did notice that the R010 from Ludwig and the 681 red from Sennelier are the exact same color..I blended them in and to my eyes, I couldn't tell them apart...can that be?

JPQ
08-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I just received some seconds...mostly primary colors, and they are a bit smaller than I thought they'd be looking at the pictures online, but I love the softness...afraid to use them on sanded paper...lol

Edit: tried the blue and red on La Cart paper..incredible. I did notice that the R010 from Ludwig and the 681 red from Sennelier are the exact same color..I blended them in and to my eyes, I couldn't tell them apart...can that be?

Very possible becouse somehow i think 681 is single pigment red i dont have info quickly in my hands. but some similar reds are single pigment and i think many brands have colours which are same or almost same. but their softness and how hue is done is maybe different. some brands like Sennelier uses pigments what i never very likely want see art supplies when we talk lightfastness at least.

robertsloan2
08-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Jake, they might have exactly the same pigment. Especially in a pure tone that match can happen, but the texture will be different due to the binders and fillers. French Ultramarine pure tone is one of my favorite colors and I have it in several brands in different textures at the same hue. This is great if I've used it in a painting and want to add accents later with a softer pastel - and match the previous color.

I'd love to see the colors you got in your box! It sounds beautiful. It's hard to tell the size of sticks from the photos online, they are magnified. Terrages were smaller than I imagined when I first saw one and Mount Visions smaller than I expected from how they looked online.

Can't wait till mine gets here. It might be downstairs even now!

jakertanner
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Very possible becouse somehow i think 681 is single pigment red i dont have info quickly in my hands. but some similar reds are single pigment and i think many brands have colours which are same or almost same. but their softness and how hue is done is maybe different. some brands like Sennelier uses pigments what i never very likely want see art supplies when we talk lightfastness at least.

Craziest thing...I feel stupid now, but not that 681 isn't close but it was actually a Rembrandt red...absolutely indistinguishable. The Senn is a bit darker.

Sorry for that.

robertsloan2
08-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Yay! My Mystery Box just arrived! It's beautiful. I got a lovely range of new colors with I think only one duplicate - that black looking stick looks to me like another V100, the Better Than Black legendary Ludwig Eggplant. Of all the colors I could get a duplicate in, it's gorgeous!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2014/70184-Mystery_Box_Post.jpg

The top one of the two "White" sticks on the right is actually a light yellow. The one below it is a pinkish near white. The pale color front left is a pale warm (greenish) blue. The ochre looking one is a yellow green slightly muted, like a gold olive color, light but not super light. So the photo's slightly distorted but there they are! Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, some very light tints, some deep darks, the yellow is very light but noticeably yellow. Full range of values from black or near black up to near white. This would be an odd but full palette and with those greens, I might see it as a landscape palette. Bright red orange and bright orange (the yellow looking color is one step more orange) and a strong red suggest flowers in a landscape, or I could do a floral with plenty of foliage.

I love these. I counted up yesterday and have 59 other Ludwigs in small sets and at least 2 or 3 more open stock ones in my Dakota Traveller, maybe up to 14 or more if I did get another earlier Mystery Box but unpack it into the Traveller. I recall putting all my loose Ludwigs into it and saw some very pretty colors there. If I did, this makes about 90 of them all total and I really should think about getting a box and rearranging them all by hue-value to see where my range is stronger and weaker, start filling in around the edges!

jakertanner
08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Beautiful Robert. I think I gotta order that Eggplant color myself. I am sure you have a painting in mind already.

Nick7
08-08-2014, 02:06 AM
Congratulations on the beautiful colors! I would love to see what kind od painting you all are able to paint with the limited palette. I often feel that I have too many pastels (120 :)), but lacking some very important ones (hardly).
:)

Mamalynn
08-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Robert, yours looks great!!! Here is mine. A bit similar to yours and Carol's but clearly the boxes are all different. I think it is great that care is taken to give us warm and cool, and varying values. I only have maybe two duplicates, one being white which is always great! I will do this again next year!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2014/1761517-mystery_box.gif

Still-trying
08-08-2014, 10:52 AM
All the mystery boxes are great. Nice mixes of colors. I love the shape of that sort of pink pastel in the box there, Mamalynn. It's a Terry Ludwig sculpture. Sell it on Ebay!!

Nick7
08-08-2014, 12:13 PM
All the mystery boxes are great. Nice mixes of colors. I love the shape of that sort of pink pastel in the box there, Mamalynn. It's a Terry Ludwig sculpture. Sell it on Ebay!!

loool, you are right! There is even a face... :lol:

robertsloan2
08-08-2014, 03:09 PM
LOL I see the face! That's so great. Love your color arrangement. It always works to get a Mystery Box, it's a complete little palette.

Here's a couple of sketches I did using mine. I wanted to do the current Scavenger Hunt, and had them handy... so looked at the sketchbook and thought, why not? I tested my Terrages in it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2014/70184-8-8-2014_Ari_and_Carrot_Sketches.jpg
Scavenger Hunt #1 Soft (Ari) and #2 Triangle (Catnip Carrot) from life
9" x 8 1/2"
Terry Ludwig "Mystery Box" pastels on 98 lb Canson Mix Media paper.

Nick7
08-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh I love his face! :)
Can I ask how many colors have you used to paint the carrot? The orange part? Four? Five? I like how simple it is, and yet the 3D effect is there...

robertsloan2
08-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Five total. Two orange, three green including the bluest that I might call a turquoise or a very bluish blue-green, very bright either way. True Orange and Red-Orange, light and middle value yellow green (the mid value one yellower) and turquoise. I knew the greens over orange would closest approximate the shadows on it, much more than the browns, and in shadow the orange looked much redder rigt before it mutes. I looked at the toy in life and its subtle color shifts are more obvious to me after taking Still Life the Colourful Way.

robertsloan2
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Still more sketches only using my Mystery Box colors. I had blue computer light to the left on my toilet paper roll and warm sun from the window on the right, so got the lighting as it was. Having fun with these colors! Really want to do a chart of them too.

I added up the Ludwigs I have and checked te Dakota Traveller - got a green from the GReens Sampler, a cool red and the V100 in the wooden case. Might keep the V100 in there as I have another in my Violets set, though the dark stick in this one is black, not another V100. So total number of Ludwigs is now 62 + 14 = 76... leaves me 14 more spaces if I get a 90 color box from Terry Ludwig. I am very, very tempted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2014/70184-8-9-2014_Scavenger_Hunt_Items_1-5.jpg
Scavenger Hunt #370 items 1-5
9" x 12"
Terry Ludwig "Mystery Box" pastels
Canson Mix Media 98 lb multimedia paper, very toothy.
Everything from life in a limited palette of 14 randomly chosen pastels.

Still haven't used them all in a painting together but I'm working on that. Warming up with these life drawings.

And then going to lay out all the boxes open to see just what I have lots of and just what I need... lots of yellows, oranges and reds in Sunset, may need some pinks though. Got some nice greens, might want more. Blues. It might be cool to get not the Ultramarine and Cobalt sets but skip values on them and get 5 of each to have both those blues, some greens and pinks. If I got those blue sets I'd be seriously going over the box but still not get any pinks. Got plenty of lights though.