PDA

View Full Version : Best Acrylic Cad Red Sub: Pyrrole or Napthol??

Bastet469
07-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Hey All,

I've been mulling over warm red alternatives to Cadmium Red for my limited palette. My tube is just about gone so I figured now would be a good time to try something new. I've read a lot of good things about various Pyrrole and Napthols being used to sub for Cad Red.

Some of the acrylic paint brands seem to use them a lot (especially Napthol) in their sets. I assume it had to do with cost since Cad colors are so pricey. I figured they used these other reds instead in their sets to offset costs.

However, several sources say that Cads in general make muddy mixtures citing Pyrroles and Napthols as giving cleaner, brighter results. Before I make a decision, I wanted my Wetcanvas friends to weigh in on the matter. So what do you guys think? Pyrrole, Napthol or stay with Cad Red? Thx 😃

-Wendy

Gigalot
07-29-2014, 03:37 AM
In general, Naphthols are less lightfast, but more vivid colors, while Pyrrole can be more close to original Cadmium Red in color and opacity.

Mythrill
07-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey All,

I've been mulling over warm red alternatives to Cadmium Red for my limited palette. My tube is just about gone so I figured now would be a good time to try something new. I've read a lot of good things about various Pyrrole and Napthols being used to sub for Cad Red.

Some of the acrylic paint brands seem to use them a lot (especially Napthol) in their sets. I assume it had to do with cost since Cad colors are so pricey. I figured they used these other reds instead in their sets to offset costs.

However, several sources say that Cads in general make muddy mixtures citing Pyrroles and Napthols as giving cleaner, brighter results. Before I make a decision, I wanted my Wetcanvas friends to weigh in on the matter. So what do you guys think? Pyrrole, Napthol or stay with Cad Red? Thx 😃

-Wendy

I second what Gigalot said. Pyrroles are the best Cadmium substitutes.

The very best one seems to be Pyrrole Red Light (PR 255), which is usually between Cadmium Red Light and Medium.

I say it is the best one because handprint.com notes that at least one version of Pyrrole Scarlet (PR 255, close to Cadmium Red Deep) has a lightfastness of 6,4, which seems to show the lighter variation is consistently better.

Link: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterr.html#PR254

Pyrrole Reds are also more versatile and weatherfast. They doesn't risk fading in damp places, like Cadmium pigments do. :)

Red 9
07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
PR255 is my favorite red pigment right now. It mixes very cleanly and seems to dry faster than Cadmium Red. I use the Rembrandt permanent red medium, but W&N also has it as Scarlet Lake. These are oils but I am sure they make the same in acrylics!

Mythrill
07-29-2014, 06:36 PM
PR255 is my favorite red pigment right now. It mixes very cleanly and seems to dry faster than Cadmium Red. I use the Rembrandt permanent red medium, but W&N also has it as Scarlet Lake. These are oils but I am sure they make the same in acrylics!

Winsor & Newton has different naming schemes (and sometimes formulas) for every product and category. They sell it in their Professional Acrylics as Pyrrole Red Light. I have the one from Finity (previous line). :)

You're probably going to find this in many other brands, though, e.g, Daniel Smith. I'd recommend you to try Liquitex or Golden if you can find it in these brands!