PDA

View Full Version : Pastel on Canvas

creativevintage
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
One of my favorite things to do is to experiment with my pastels on different supports and with different mediums. This 5 x 7 painting is called "Follow Through".

I took a sheet of Frederix watercolor canvas from a pad, painted on one coat of black acrylic paint and once dry, started painting with my pastels. I used mostly Unison with Nupastels to blend and add some detail. I got the idea mostly because I love painting in pastel on darker backgrounds...I love the drama it creates. Hope you like it! I think that my next experiment will be to use some acrylic mediums to create a "glassless" pastel painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2014/979782-Follow_Through.jpg

Equus Art
07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
I think this was a great experiment and I love the atmosphere you created with the sky and the trees in the far distance. Good job!

Cat

robertsloan2
07-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Debbie, this is lovely! I like the way the black and canvas texture work to make the lighter brighter colors pop. Great atmospheric distance and power, beautiful composition, lovely color harmony. A real winner. Keep experimenting!

Blayne
07-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Absolutely beautiful! I love the various hues in the far trees and in the grasses. Let us know your results, please. I know varnish would seal it but darkens pastel and there might be irreparable further darkening over the years. I wonder if several coats of a very thinned gloss medium sprayed on would work?

Still-trying
07-29-2014, 08:56 AM
I see a very moody piece here. The day has been gray but it's just starting to rain. We're safe in a shelter looking out. I can even see the drops that hit the water. (ok, overactive imagination.) I'm assuming all of the above is because of the dark background. Nice that you made a new surface.

getdusty
07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Very nice, Debbie. Those are my preferred colors. How will you frame a pastel without glass? I know watercolors done on aquabord/claybord can be sprayed and framed without glass, but how would you do pastels?

creativevintage
07-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I do need a better camera though, as this painting is really quite a bit brighter and more colorful than the picture posted here....

My next attempt will probably be canvas mounted on an 8 ply matboard so that it will have some stability. I plan to spray a PVA solution after each layer until I get the look I want, then seal it with a varnish of some sort...there are some good recipes and instructions if you Google "glassless pastels". I think those would be more for the paintings I am going to keep and hang around my house. I'll save the expensive framing for sales and shows...