PDA

View Full Version : new found love for watercolour

PJL
06-29-2001, 11:18 AM
I have been drawing figures for some time with compressed charcoal and coloured pencil..(the figure forum is usually my thing). Recently I discovered watercolour pencils....with a little inspiration from another WC member (thank you wnabors).

This is the result....I would like some tips and pointers from all you watercolour experts :)

I also posted this on the Figure forum.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2001/No_8.jpg

Thanks for viewing
Pete

VictoriaS
06-29-2001, 12:29 PM
Good job, Pete. I like this very much. All watercolor pencils? How did you do it? On wet paper? Dip the pencils into water?

Victoria

baquitania
06-29-2001, 12:45 PM
I don't have any suggestions PJL, cause it looks great. Is this a sketch? You might want to do a masking tape border before you work to get a crisp edge later on when you're done. Other that I think you might benefit from trying different watercolor papers, hot pressed or cold pressed or even rough, to get varying effects with your watercolor pencils...

My last bit of advice is to come to the watercolor chat on Tuesdays here in the Serendipity room, we meet at about 2pm eastern time, and you can ask away there, it's all wc people...
Keep up the excellent work... bobby

VictoriaS
06-29-2001, 01:22 PM
I like the edges the way they are; I think the unevenness adds interest. It's a lot more striking to me this way than if the edges had been masked off.

Mr. Teatime
06-29-2001, 02:52 PM
I like the watercolor very much, but I see a contrast with the white of her eyes and the white of the paper. Did you use a white paint, or was there some slight editing in photoshop?

PJL
06-29-2001, 02:58 PM
Thank you everyone...

I used masking fluid on her eyes, and on the tops of her jeans...

I see what you mean by the contrast.. I will have to revisit

Rod
06-29-2001, 06:40 PM
I like it, the medium worked well for you. Did you apply pencils then wet or a combination of dry on wet and wet on wet.
Agree the eyes are too white,
Rod.

dollardays
07-01-2001, 11:45 AM
Like this very much, especially the brightly colored background.. What size is it and what type of paper?
Nor

ameliajordan
07-02-2001, 10:32 AM
Great job = you can really handle the pencils. How did you get the wet on wet watercolor look from pencils. :cool:

PJL
07-02-2001, 11:52 AM
Dollardays, Amelia....

I was convinced to do a step by step for the figure forum on the technique I used for this.... If you go to the Figure forum, you can get all the answers there... come visit