PDA

View Full Version : Help.....Please

banananna20032003
07-27-2014, 08:24 PM
I am currently working on a horse with bridle. I need help regarding how to scratch the leather. The tools which I have all seem to be too sharp. Would greatly appreciate suggestions.

:)

Obedec
07-27-2014, 10:46 PM
I think you're going to have to do it in layers and soften each layer back to leather with ink washes.

banananna20032003
07-28-2014, 11:00 AM
I was a bit confused......scratching, then soften with ink washes. do you mean just layer ink over what has been scratched? am not familiar with ink washes. thank you for responding.

Snow Dance
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Up in the "Sticky Notes" go to Man made elements. There are some good closeups of some of Cathy's bridle work that will probably be helpful, there are closeups both at the top of the thread and near the end

And another tip, have you converted your reference to high-contrast black and white? That's always helpful to me when I have trouble figuring out the values of a surface, and how to convert that to scratching.

As for the ink washes, I haven't used them yet, but a lot of folks find them very useful for adjusting values. You scratch, and then take the value of the newly scratched area down a notch or two by applying dilute ink. More scratching, more ink, and so on. Some use a brush to apply the ink, some use an airbrush.

Becky