PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, please.

Gobie
07-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Finished a scratchboard done on black Ampersand and sprayed 4 thin layers with Golden Varnishes, Archival Varnish, Matte finish. Last layer, have a cloudy white spot on one corner!! Let it sit the weekend, no change, white spot still there! Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help offered!!
Sharon

MJGresko
07-27-2014, 08:12 PM
You can try sanding with super fine steel wool. I got mine at an auto paint supplier. Then respray. We all have had spray issues at one time or another so you re not alone. Good-luck!

Gobie
07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks Marcia. Yes I know the spraying is the worst part of scratching for me! I also thought sandpaper might work, but wasn't sure.
Sharon

ggart4u
07-27-2014, 09:44 PM
I've found that mixing varnishes is no bueno.

Gobie
07-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Hi Ginger, the golden varnish I used has a long name on the can, it is the only varnish I used on this piece. Its expensive, close to $30.00 for a 10 oz. can. The only other product I have ever used on other pieces was Krylon matte and I had many issues with this product, wrecked one piece with it!
Sharon

ggart4u
07-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Most of the artists with that issue discovered that humidity plays a factor with the fog affect. Some have been able to get rid of it by adding another coat of one of the sprays.
I will be doing some experiments with Jerry's Artarama in Raleigh. Have the boards ready but the humidity is too high. I am anxious to see what the results will be. Many of us are struggling for sure.

Gobie
07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
You could very well be right with the high humidity issue, Ginger. With the Golden Varnish I've had less problems so I will keep on using it but I will pay more attention to the humidity. Thanks for your input.
Sharon