PDA

View Full Version : oil bubbles on the top of tube

ntl
07-26-2014, 08:44 PM
I bought a bag of oil paint tubes today at an estate sale. One is a Rembrandt stil de grain juane 251 series 3. The tube probably hasn't been opened for a long time. When I opened it, there were bubbles in the lid and the top of the tube. I don't remember ever seeing bubbles in any other oil tube.
Is this paint any good?

WFMartin
07-27-2014, 12:27 AM
I bought a bag of oil paint tubes today at an estate sale. One is a Rembrandt stil de grain juane 251 series 3. The tube probably hasn't been opened for a long time. When I opened it, there were bubbles in the lid and the top of the tube. I don't remember ever seeing bubbles in any other oil tube.
Is this paint any good?
If you can squeeze the paint out, it is!:thumbsup: :D

Patrick1
07-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Are the bubbles wet/oily? I sometimes have bubbles in some of my more 'oily' paints (Grumbacher MAX) when I open the top. It just seems some of the oil has separated from the pigment...no big deal in my case.

Barbareola
07-27-2014, 05:09 AM
If I may add a question to the original post:

How do you deal with that? Should you remove the separated oil with a tissue or stir the paint and mix it under?

WFMartin
07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
If I may add a question to the original post:

How do you deal with that? Should you remove the separated oil with a tissue or stir the paint and mix it under?

Some people actually "massage" their tubes to get the oil to re-mix with the paint, within the tube. This works fine if you are dealing with soft, plastic tubes that won't rupture, but the metal tubes won't withstand much of this massaging.

On the other hand, I just squeeze the tube past all the excess oil, until I get paint. Then I just mop up the excess oil on my palette with the corner of a paper towel. I may also leave a bit of the excess oil on my palette, and just mix it in with the paint, as I use it. It is oil paint, so....I expect it to be "oily".

As others have said,....it's really no big deal, actually.:)