PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Color Chart: Paper or Board??

Bastet469
07-25-2014, 02:54 AM
Hi,
I'm considering making a master acrylic color mixing chart but I don't know what kind of support to use: paper or board. There's so many varieties, I can't figure out what's best. All I know is I'd like it to last a while so I don't have to re-create it over and over. In addition, I'm just starting out so my inventory is small (@12 paints. So I also was wondering if I should make it big enough to expand as my inventory grows. Thanks in advance for your help. 😃

-Wendy

Mythrill
07-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I'm considering making a master acrylic color mixing chart but I don't know what kind of support to use: paper or board. There's so many varieties, I can't figure out what's best. All I know is I'd like it to last a while so I don't have to re-create it over and over. In addition, I'm just starting out so my inventory is small (@12 paints. So I also was wondering if I should make it big enough to expand as my inventory grows. Thanks in advance for your help. 😃

-Wendy
Hi, Wendy!

Paper can last a lifetime particularly if you gesso it.

If you want to go for board, make sure to gesso and seal it to prevent support-induced discoloration (SID).

Also, 12 paints isn't really a small inventory especially if all your colors are single-pigmented. A while ago, created a mixing chart of four colors: Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122), Azo Yellow Medium (PY 74), Phthalo Blue Red Shade (PB 15:1), and Phthalo Green Blue Shade (PG 7). I remember getting around 100 hues with those colors alone, and that's only using 8 values for each color and tinting the intervals (blue-violet, reddish yellow, orange, etc)!

Crystal1
07-25-2014, 01:41 PM
I think a canvas board that has been gessoed would last the longest. Good luck!

Patrick1
07-25-2014, 09:06 PM
For quick & rough mixing experiments and swatches that I will keep, I use watercolor paper. For formal mixing charts that I will use as reference for years to come, I use canvas board or canvas. But from now on I will use smooth board because I want the thin parts of the samples (showing undertone) to be as smooth and even as possible. But good, regular canvas board is good enough.

waterhousey
07-25-2014, 09:22 PM
I made mine on 100% rag Stonehenge paper. I coated the paper first with Golden's GAC 100 (as a sealer of sorts), then gave some tooth back to the paper with a coat or two of Matte Medium.

The paper option is nice because it's lightweight and portable.

~ megan

rghirardi
07-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Maybe look at illustration board, both hot press and cold press.