PDA

View Full Version : pastel brands

annette71
07-23-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm putting up a list of all professional soft pastels out there that can be purchased online...so far i have the following... if you know other brands, please let me know: (my favorites are marked with *)

Ludwig
unison*
Blue earth
Richeson
Sennelier*
Great American*
Blick
Mungyo
Schmincke*
Rembrandt
Daler-Rowney
Art Spectrum
Mount vision
Diane Townsend
Koh I Noor*
Roche* (lovely but too expensive)
Girault
Pan Pastel
Prisma Color
De Marais
Blockx
Caran D'Ache
Holbein

I've tried everything on this list except the Blue Earths and De Marais. Would like to know other brands if there are any to buy and compare.

Thanks for adding up to the list! :)

robertsloan2
07-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I can't think of any that you haven't listed, except for a couple of discontinued brands that are VERY GOOD if you ever find them online:

Winsor & Newton - Comparable to Art Spectrum and Rembrandt for softness category, lovely quality, strong pigment, lucky enough I got a full set and lots of grab bag extras so I'm stocked up. May still be available through Himalaya online - the online company in India still lists them and may have an unsold few sets available. Worth getting if you can.

Grumbacher - the first soft pastels I ever bought that were artist grade. Their brand is gone but everyone else who's used them remembers them fondly. A lot like the Rembrandts for texture, same category. I had 30 Assorted and 30 Skin Tones sets, watch out for them on eBay and at closeouts or whatever. I haven't actually seen any online or offline for years but it's something to snap up if you find them secondhand.

Saskia
07-24-2014, 11:45 PM
I was reading last week about Kremer pastels, handmade in a small Italian village in the Apennine Mountains. As I understand it there are only one or two shops in the US that carry them, but you can order directly from the owner. I have no idea what they are like or how much they cost.

jakertanner
07-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Add Jackson's Handmade pastels to that list as well.

BruceF
07-25-2014, 02:12 AM
I was reading last week about Kremer pastels, handmade in a small Italian village in the Apennine Mountains. As I understand it there are only one or two shops in the US that carry them, but you can order directly from the owner. I have no idea what they are like or how much they cost.
Kremer Pigments did have pastels a few years ago. I never tried them. But, their online catalogs only show a selection of Roche. But, if anyone is making pastels, they are probably a great resource for pigments. http://kremerpigments.com/

Saskia
07-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Yes, searching for pigments was how I found them. I noticed they do not list the pastels in their catalog. But this list and description of them can still be found on their website, with the owner's contact information at the bottom: http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/media/files_public/881500e.pdf.

I suppose the only way to know for sure whether they are still in production would be to contact him and ask.