PDA

View Full Version : Graphite paper question

MJGresko
07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
I traced my images on the board using Saran graphite paper which I have used in the past. I have a couple areas that when I used the FG brush has left tracing lines that the FG brush won't remove. It's really strange. I've tried sanding, it won't go away. The only thing that removes the lines is a blade and then I have scratch lines that I really didn't want. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and what is the cause? And any helpful hints to get rid of the lines?

SandeVBL
07-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I was having trouble with transfer papers too - graphite or white, didn't matter. I don't use it any more. Now I just chalk the back of my tracing paper with a dull earth green chalk and rub it really well with my finger to cover all my tracing lines then go ahead and trace. Because I rub the chalk in thoroughly I have just a very light amount on the black board. I haven't had any problems removing the chalk so far.

goatmilksoapgoddess
07-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Sande, I saw you doing that and thought, what a good idea. I didn't realize you always do your transfers that way. Where do you get your chalk? Is just regular chalkboard or sidewalk chalk or have you discovered some special chalk? I suppose any light color would work.

goatmilksoapgoddess
07-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Marcia,
I haven't used Seral for very many boards, so I can't say this always works, but I used water to wipe off stray marks outside the scratched area and when i did an ink wash, I was able to "wash" some of the lines off with my brush.
The lines that were in areas I didn't want to get water on, I used a kneaded eraser to lift the lines. It worked quite well, but I don't press down very hard when I transfer a drawing.

Foxyheart2002
07-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Saral will come off with spit easily IF you do it within a few days. The longer it site, the worse it is to try to get off. If you hit it with any washes, it will not come off. I think Chaco was better but I don't have any.

MJGresko
07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
I tried wiping it off with a wipe but it didn't do anything. It's a detailed board and I'm taking my time so I have a feeling it's probably going to be an issue from here on out.Washes have done nothing but make it more obvious.I normally don't use a fg brush that much so I guess it's more apparent when you remove the ink that way. Just a little annoyed right now because up until now it has been going really well. Grrr...

marksmomagain
07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I had the same problem with Saral and the fg brush.

ggart4u
07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I use Chaco but it's pricey. I like how Lori Dunn did it... she did not use tracing paper, she just drew on her paper and it put a faint line (dent?) on the board. You need a good light source to see it.

MJGresko
07-24-2014, 05:37 PM
I may need to switch brands I guess for future projects. My eyes are bad as is so I think the last option is out. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice what I'm talking about but I know it's there so it bothers me. I'll figure something out.

XQB
07-24-2014, 06:09 PM
I use saral white exclusively, and remove it using poster-tack. I roll it into a rod shape and roll it back-and-forth over the entire board, small sections at a time. Stopping frequently to knead and freshen the tack (moving the dirty surface in and the "clean" portions out), I simply pay more attention to the heavier lines. As I do VERY detailed boards, I put down a LOT of guidelines, and this works pretty darned well. What little remains, the varnish hides completely.

ggart4u
07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Matthew... are you talking about a kneaded eraser???

XQB
07-25-2014, 08:13 AM
No, Ma'am. 3M Adhesive Mounting Putty, or Poster Tack under another brand name.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/584296/Scotch-Adhesive-Putty-Tape-Style-2/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Tape_and_Adhesives-_-584296-IQ_PE&Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=DCF43C1B-EC81-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=39866578436&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=72261660716
It is stickier by far than a kneaded eraser, but will leave no residue on your board. Just knead it frequently to keep it "fresh" and it lifts almost 100% of the transfer lines.

MJGresko
07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
I went to work today and opened up my desk drawer and sitting there is a pack of Scotch mounting putty. Guess what's going home with me tonight!

XQB
07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I hope your results mirror mine, Marcia!

Snow Dance
07-25-2014, 10:02 AM
I also use the mounting putty on the Saral lines. The brand name I have is Blue Tack. Matthew is right, it works very well.

Becky

hectorstudio
07-25-2014, 04:21 PM
This post is very timely. Just used Saral on a large (for me) board, and was not happy with all of the loose white powdery residue that was left on the board. I was concerned it would not come off. I'm braving the 104 degree heat today to head over to Office Max to get me some of that putty!

MJGresko
07-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Hope you have better luck then I did Hector. I just used the fg brush on an area and the tracing lines appeared again. I rolled the putty over the lines and they did not go away. Disappointed but I've been using my scribe to get rid of them and so far so good.

ggart4u
07-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Oh boy... gotta' buy something new. Cool idea, thank you!

lorna12
07-26-2014, 04:37 AM
I use Saral exclusively too, always tracing quite lightly. The dusty stuff comes off quite easy, I've been using a soft mop brush for that. For the tracing lines, I make sure I scratch over them asap, because as Sue mentioned, the longer you leave that stuff on, the harder it is to get off. Lately, I have been scratching my traced lines as soon as I have traced them on...I scratch them very lightly in the direction that the area will be going, not like it is traced. The putty stuff comes in handy, too.

MJGresko
07-26-2014, 01:49 PM
I must be using something different than the rest of you because I never get any dusty stuff. What I have is Sally's artist graphite paper by Saral. It's wax-free.It's dark but leaves gray lines on the black boards until you use a fg brush on it. Then it shows up black. I guess in the future I'll have to scratch over my lines as Lorna does and see if that helps.

lorna12
07-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Ahhh...that's what the difference is. I use the same brand but I use the white transfer paper not the graphite. Maybe because it's grey/black it's leaving black lines. My eyes are not good enough to see the graphite transfer lines so I switched to the white, which is a bit dusty. The white is also wax free. If you try it, don't press hard when transferring and the lines wipe off fairly easily. But as mentioned if they are on too long, they can become difficult to get off. Also if pressed on too hard, when you wipe them to remove them, the ink may also be removed and white line will appear. If it's where you want or need it won't be a problem as it can be scratched over.

XQB
07-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Marcia, I'm sorry your putty experience wasn't what we'd hoped. I'm sure the difference is the white vs the graphite, but I wish I'd been of more help.

MJGresko
07-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Matthew, no problem. All these complications just make things interesting. I've learned that I either need to work faster or leave some of the detail out while transfering.I've been working on this board for a few weeks so the lines have been sitting for too long. Lesson learned. It's really a minor problem.