PDA

View Full Version : Ludwigs on uart

annette71
07-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Has anyone had problems with Ludwigs on UART sanded paper?

I LOVE Ludwigs... really do. But i've noticed that when i apply them with certain pressure on UART, the surface gets damaged... more specifically the tooth is damaged, the best i can describe it is, i lose the nice even tooth and instead get patches of little (but larger than tooth) dots in the paper itself... the dots or marks or whatever they are, are part of the paper, not something external.

I don't get the same problem with any other brand (i use a little bit of practically all brands out there).

I have to remind myself that when using Ludwigs i need to apply very light pressure if i want to keep the tooth, but i paint large, so when i want to use Ludwigs for underpaintings or large areas, this slows me down a lot.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Annette

Saskia
07-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Are the little dots just uneven patches of pastel that are snagged off by the paper? I have used Ludwigs on Uart 500 (today, actually), and have noticed that happening sometimes. It makes the surface a little uneven for later layers. I just put it down to them being so soft and powdery, and so I try not to use them until the tooth is more filled. Does that sound like what happened to you, or is it something else?

annette71
07-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Sounds like the same... i think maybe it has something to do with the grit of the pastel itself against the grit of the paper. I think that some colors of Ludwig are less prone to that happening. Darks, for instance, give me that problem every time, unless i apply it very gently.

Saskia
07-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Maybe it's something about the binder that makes the pastel come off in tiny clumps on the sandpaper. I hadn't noticed it with the darks specifically, though. It would seem like they would be the more even ones because they are harder. But I haven't used many darks on the first layers. I will have to try.

I wonder, do the dots go away if you use a solvent afterwards, like alcohol? It just occurred to me because you mentioned it being a problem for the underpainting, and I thought maybe it would smooth out if you tried a wet version.

Saskia
07-24-2014, 12:59 AM
I was curious so I just went and tried some of the darks on an early layer. I brushed off a small area of a piece I am working on now and used several Ludwig dark purples, and they all went down sort of powdery-gritty, and made a bunch of small dots and clumps, just as you say. It was like they didn't want to stick to the paper. It was very uneven, and I will need to brush it off.

This didn't happen the other day when I was using the same colors in the final layer on the same paper. They were perfect for that.

I would just say it is their consistency, and perhaps I will try not use them in the first few layers on this paper. Glad I learned something new!

robertsloan2
07-24-2014, 12:12 PM
This is good to know. I just got lots of Uart paper, three big sheets now cut down to usable sizes. I love my Ludwigs and am getting a sizable collection going - it's about time I put a box together with foam to get them all in the same place really.

But I think of them as finishing pastels, same category as Senneliers. If I use them beginning to end it's usually on Mi-Tientes rather than a sanded paper. Might try them on Supertooth surface since that's just risking a test sheet of watercolor paper and some primer.