PDA

View Full Version : Macaw FINISHED

SandeVBL
07-19-2014, 09:14 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2014/1734759-7x5AllaGerzon_parrot01a.jpg
Here is one that was in the group of 5 unfinished pieces. The top parrot (5x7")is now finished, but I still have 5 unfinished since I started a b&w to be colored with Ampersand inks just to see how it compares to the first one. The full color one was done with FW Acrylic Inks (and a bit of Derwent Inktense pencil in the background). I couldn't use my normal scalpel to do the scratching however I did find that because the inks are tougher and thicker I could use a wider exacto blade (1/8") to scrape layers off lightly. So it's been a good one for learning some new tricks.
Photo ref by Alla Gerzon on PMP

FoggyMountain
07-19-2014, 09:08 PM
He's a beauty. Nice job.

PaintDog
07-20-2014, 12:01 AM
The color version is fantastic, Sande! I especially love the wrinkly facial skin.

I'm sure the scratchboard version will be great too.

ggart4u
07-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Saw it on FB... still love them. Can't wait to see the scratchboard finish!

SandeVBL
07-22-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2014/1734759-7x5AllaGerzon_parrot01b.jpg
As finished as they are going to be. I could do more but I'm not going to. I need to move on to other things. I got some of the liquid Lascaux matte varnish in the mail a few days ago and will use these 2 pieces to test Andrea's technique for patting on a finish instead of spraying. That is after testing on a scrap or two first! If it works well I have a 9x12 tiger waiting to be varnished.
I, by far, prefer the 1st one, btw. Based on this I may just do full color like the 1st one and save the black board for light color washes or just black and white.
This probably sounds weird too, but I look at the 1st one across the room and still can't believe that came out of me! It 'reads' as so much more realistic than I normally do in any medium.

nettasaura
07-22-2014, 04:31 PM
I love both of these! I think I am liking the black one more and more every time I see it. ;) I will eagerly await the results of the new varnishing technique! I almost bought the lascaux, but hesitated and bought more boards instead lol.

PatrickHedges
07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
The two pieces have such different personalities but I like them both. The scratchboard one really grows on you.

PaintDog
07-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Both are well done, Sande. I prefer the full color one as well, from a realism standpoint, but you should be proud of both. I completely understand the "I did that?" feeling! I'm glad you mentioned it. I feel it too at times. Some pieces just take on a life of their own and when you look at the finished work there's a sense of detachment (and happy accomplishment!). I don't really know how to explain it either, but I totally get it.

SandeVBL
07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Thank you, Netta and Patrick! Once I stopped trying to match the 1st one and let the black one be it's own piece I liked it better. Kind of like comparing kids, I guess - better off not doing that!
Ann, I wondered if other people got that feeling too - now I know! Thanks for commenting and encouraging.

Foxyheart2002
07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
They both have their merits. The black one has more fine detail.

goatmilksoapgoddess
07-22-2014, 09:59 PM
I think they are both wonderful. I don't know if I will ever get enough patience to try another bird.
I admire you for doing two of the same one!

SandeVBL
07-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Thank you Sue.
Thank you, Sydne. Every now and then I get curious enough about something like this to stop and do another version - once I did 3 versions. It seems the best way to compare materials and techniques.
But even though I love looking at birds, I'm finding I don't like doing feathers much. Fur and hair seem so much easier!

Misted-Dream
07-22-2014, 11:47 PM
These are both wonderful, Sande! They each have a slightly different feel, and I like that about both mediums.

VENKAT
07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Brilliant piece of work on white board . The tinted black board has a different appeal . Both look nice
Venkat

Cindy Schnackel
07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Great portrait, captures the bird's attitude and details!

Harry Seymour
07-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Both are superb.