PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a board

Foxyheart2002
07-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I tried to cut a board (cut my 24x36 in two) with a hacksaw blade in a holder that has the end stick out about 4". It was a pain as the blade wanted to bend and catch. The board cut OK, but raggedly.

So tonight my husband volunteered to cut another board on the table saw. I was holding my breath as I was picturing chips and gouges. He brought it in and OMG it is perfect. The edges are crisp and sharp, need to be sanded a little for that rounded effect.

I am in shorts and scratched an itch and it felt like tape on my inner leg. Huh? I wasn't using tape at the moment, but you know how supplies go everywhere after packing stuff for a show. Well, when I pulled it off I realized it was a 1/2"x1" piece of my skin!! YIKES!! The board had rested on my leg while I swiped the debris off of it from the sawing, and apparently it is sharp enough to peel off the top layer of skin. Be careful, people!!!

Trilby
07-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Yike, yes be careful. I too found that a power saw worked wonderfully. I used a sliding arm miter/bevel saw. I found I could stack piece, bind them with masking tape like a Christmas package to keep them from shifting and cut through a whole stack. A little sanding and painting of the edges and they look great. As a pre caution I put masking tape along the cut line too.
TJ

ggart4u
07-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I used purple painter's tape (for sensitive surfaces) to protect the board. I drew a line down the middle and hubby cut it. No problem. A little sanding and it's great. I think the tape helped to keep the chipping down.