PDA

View Full Version : It's been a year....

Shirl
07-17-2014, 05:02 PM
...since I completed my first scratchboard. During that time, I think I've done 30+ boards. It's SO addictive:) :) ! I've had a Best of Show (116 entries), several first placings, and sold several. To top it off, I'm teaching a class next month:eek: I'm having a ball and haven't completed one colored pencil piece since I began scratchboard! Here are a couple of my latest and were entered in the Draft Horse Classic:
This is "Audacious' Bling", 8x8 (his name is Audacious)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2014/2937-Audacious_Bling_wc.jpg
This is Jullyen El Jamaal, 12x16
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2014/2937-Jullyen__wc.jpg

I've done other than horses throughout the year but they are my fav. Thanks for looking--I'm going back to do some more scratching....:D

Snow Dance
07-17-2014, 07:40 PM
These are truly beautiful, Shirl! Let me be the first to ask, (and I'm not the only one who will want to know, believe me!), how did you do the texture on Audacious' cheek? It is quite incredible.

Becky

PaintDog
07-17-2014, 07:49 PM
It's been a year for us to see your beautiful equine art, Shirl! Scratchboard sure is a good fit for you. I LOVE the "Bling" piece you have in the ISSA show.

Shirl
07-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks Becky and Ann.

Bursting your bubble Becky because actually that is a computer distortion that is showing up and I couldn't fix it. All that area is very smooth. You can also see some of the distortion in his forlock hanging by that area. Wished I could figure it out--I've had that before. Other than that, it was scratched and painted 3 times to get it right.

See you in a couple months Ann.

scratchmaster
07-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Shirl, are you saving the images as GIF or PNG somewhere in the process? The distortion looks like dithering, which is an option you might see when saving to GIF or PNG formats. I can see they are in JPG format now, but I wondered if maybe they started out as something else.

Whatever the case, the images are beautiful.

ggart4u
07-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Keep on rocking... these images are amazing!

Diane Cutter
07-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Gorgeous work... Love how you handled the first (Audacious Bling) without losing the darks.

Diane

Misted-Dream
07-18-2014, 08:23 AM
These are gorgeous! Fantastic work here. :)

Shirl
07-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Shirl, are you saving the images as GIF or PNG somewhere in the process? The distortion looks like dithering, which is an option you might see when saving to GIF or PNG formats. I can see they are in JPG format now, but I wondered if maybe they started out as something else.

Thanks Russ. Nope, just pure JPEGs. A friend had the same problem and she used the same camera and lens as I do. I think it has something to do with compressing the photo from a large file (?). When the photo is at full size, no distortions. But it doesn't happen all the time. Go figure.

Thank you Diane, Ginger and MD.

scratchmaster
07-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Shirl,

If the photo looks fine at full size I wouldn't suspect the camera. What is the process you are using to take an image from the camera and make it ready for the web? What software do you use?

Shirl
07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Russ,

I've been using the Scanner and Camera Wizard from my Canon camera card successfully for years. Never a problem until I photo'ed scratchboard. The same thing happens with the scanner (maybe worse). I hope we are looking at the same thing. If I need to change the photo or any reason, I use a Camedia program because it is so easy. I have PShop Elements if Camedia can't do the job.

Here is a photo of one that is really wonkie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2014/2937-Draft_003_sml.jpg

I've talked with several knowledgeable people and they look at me like my head is on backwards. My friend who had the same problem is VERY computer savvy and she can't figure it out. BTW, they print out fine. Thanks for your help....

jennaboo88
07-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Wow, your work is so beautiful! Beautiful textures and color. Your passion for the medium shines through!

Harry Seymour
07-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Shiri, your work is so exceptional.

Trilby
07-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Gorgeous, it's easy to see why you are taking prizes and selling.
It may be that shrinking the original and compressing it the fine scratch lines are coming closer together and create a distorted effect on the screen but will print out OK. I have found when I try to seriously reduce some large files of scratch work that this happens. I think the compression process loses some bit information.
TJ

FoggyMountain
07-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I absolutely love ALL your work. You are soooo good.