PDA

View Full Version : Horse

M.Mason
07-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Just finished up this horse yesterday. It is an 8x10 done with an x-acto blade and fiber glass brush. C&C welcome!
Reference thanks to user jolinda from the RIL.

Thanks for looking!

jennaboo88
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Melissa, this is so beautiful! I love the depth of the eye and the wonderful contrast. You did such a beautiful job here! That negative drawing for the chain in shadow on the right must have been a challenge! You handled this masterfully!

nettasaura
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Holy cow! The shadow work and light refraction on this is fantastic!

PaintDog
07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Excellent job on this, Melissa! Well done on the lighting and various textures, good attention to detail on the horse's contours also.

One thing I see is that the saddle and stirrup fender on the right side compete with the horse. I know that area is in bright light, but it would read better and let the wonderful work on the horse's head stand out better if you could knock that entire section back with a wash of ink. It would also push the tie leather from the saddle back a bit. It appears to be draped over the horse's nose.

I took a quick stab at it in Photoshop. I also darkened the area to our left of the saddle. That makes it look like you'd need to pull some more lights out of the horse's face. This is a lovely piece as is, though, so if you're not comfortable trying this, don't worry - just something to think about for next time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2014/93895-Horse_resized3.jpg

M.Mason
07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Thank you so much Jenna!
Thank you Netta!
Thank you Ann - the right side did get away from me and ended up a bit lighter than I intended. I still haven't ventured into ink washes (it makes me nervous), but I agree it would definitely read better and add more depth. I guess I'll have to just suck it up and go for it one of these days!

Foxyheart2002
07-17-2014, 03:36 PM
BEAUTIFUL job!!

M.Mason
07-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Thank you so much Sue!

VENKAT
07-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Excellent scratch work . The features are well defined
Venkat

Trilby
07-19-2014, 03:14 AM
I commented on this in the A/WL forum. It is a beautifully done horse. I especially like how you've kept the volumn of the horse by modeling the dark and mid tone values on a pale horse. I do think Paindog's suggestions are very useful ones. Ink washes are not hard. just dilute the India ink and know you can build up the darkness in layers rather than in one go, Also you can always scratch it away if you don't like something.
TJ

Harry Seymour
07-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Well done.

FoggyMountain
07-19-2014, 09:06 PM
The ink wash that Ann suggest would make this piece outstanding.

M.Mason
07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Thank you Venkat!
Thanks again for your input TJ!
Thank you Harry!
Thanks for the suggestion Lynn!

Garbonzo
07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
You do beautiful scratchwork.

hectorstudio
07-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Ann's suggestions are right on. Don't let the ink washes scare you. Just be sure to dilute the ink quite a bit. It will dry lighter than when you apply it. Wait till it dries, then apply again if necessary. If you're going to go back and re-scratch any of the ink-washed areas, be sure to allow it to try completely.

This horse is beautiful

ggart4u
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
You can do a light wash with water first... any loose ink will spread. It would give you courage.

M.Mason
07-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank you Hector!
Thanks for the tip Ginger! I'll definitely be giving it a try in the future!