PDA

View Full Version : Bad Habits Revisited

SandeVBL
07-16-2014, 03:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2014/1734759-5Unfinished.jpg
When I started scratchboard earlier this year I was so proud of myself for finishing one piece before starting the next because unfinished work has been an ongoing problem in art for me. Well, unfortunately I currently have 5 unfinished pieces. Two 5x7s that are just barely started and three 9x12s that are about half finished. I don't know how that happened...
Time to get to work and finish something! Or better yet, finish all 5. I do not want to continue in what, for me, has been a very bad habit.
I did finish the 9x12 tiger that I started at the ISSA conf. but I haven't scanned or sprayed it yet. Now that the TN trip is done maybe I can get back into a better routine.

danna23
07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Sometimes I stop working on something because I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing. I'm slowly learning that even if I don't like it I still learned from it. It been hard for me to be ok with not having everything perfect. I have a bit of ADD so sometimes I really have to force myself to finish.

SandeVBL
07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm looking at these together and thinking that 4 out of 5 started life as a white board with color or the intention of adding color. The only black board is the elk. And I'm also seeing that all of them have backgrounds to deal with - therein may lie my problem. I'll probably pick the one I can see the easiest finish for (that would be the bear) and work at that one first. The bear is meant to be a companion to the other bear piece I finished last month - same bear, same photo session.

Foxyheart2002
07-16-2014, 04:06 PM
I love the bear!!!! it looks almost finished. Please keep us updated on these all when you start to work on thme again.

Trilby
07-17-2014, 12:41 AM
These deserve to be finished, they are all interesting and have a good beginning. I think most art work goes through a "what was I thinking" or ugly stage that we have to get through.
TJ

Harry Seymour
07-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Sandra, you will be compelled at some point to finish pieces that just sit waiting for you to find the right vision and motivation suitable for them. I've works that take as much 2 years to complete. What does it matter if you finally get it right. It is only a "bad habit" if you don't finish anything.

PatrickHedges
07-17-2014, 06:43 AM
These will all be good but like Sue, I also love the bear!!

ggart4u
07-17-2014, 08:35 AM
These will be great when allowed to be as you saw them in your head!

I usually have more than one project going. When one stumps me, I move on to another and think about how to get what I want out of the first one. I typically have a painting, a scratchboard and computer graphics in some stage at any one time. However, except for 2, I usually finish them all.
I like the variety and the break that lets me think about what I like or don't like about some pieces (and what I want to do about it).

FoggyMountain
07-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm partial to the bear (very unique), then the deer, then the elk. Can't wait to see them finished.