PDA

View Full Version : help identify this pencil please

jakertanner
07-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Hi,

I posted this picture in the colored pencil forum, and someone pointed out this might be a pastel pencil, but it doesn't feel like my other pastel pencils.

I acquired these pencils on the streets of Italy when i went there many years ago, and just recently, started to organize them and realized they're Tiziano brand..I got them before I knew anything about brands.

Any help would be great.

Colorix
07-15-2014, 05:42 AM
Do a google search and include the brand name FILA.

Blayne
07-15-2014, 06:53 AM
According to this link, which I found using Bing, Fila has been around since 1920, began making pastels about 40 years ago and, interestingly, bought out Prang, Ticonderoga and Dixon in 2005.http://www.fila.it/en/about-us/fila-group/history/
It says they introduced supplies into artists' studios and schools but seems to emphasize the educational aspect so I wonder if their products are primarily student grade. Hope this helps!

robertsloan2
07-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Well, they also bought Lyra and the Lyra colored pencils are artist grade. It's hard to tell from that paragraph about their Tiziano brand.

At least with this you can contact the company and ask about them. Apparently they started doing them sometime between 61 and 80.

jakertanner
07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Thank you so much!!! I searched using Google, didn't think about other engines..really couldn't find much...so thank you kindly! I am hoping that they are artist grade, given the Tiziano name.

Zephirine
07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi :)
Tiziano was the "artist" line by Fila and they are colored pencils not pastel. I still have some of those but are younger (about 25 years ago) compared to the one in your photo. They stopped producing that kind of pencils about 20 years ago I think. They produce mainly stuff for kids, the artist's grade is by Lyra now. I have found nothing about them on net in the past, the only info were given me at the local art store where I bought mine at a special price because they were the last of that kind.

jakertanner
07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi :)
Tiziano was the "artist" line by Fila and they are colored pencils not pastel. I still have some of those but are younger (about 25 years ago) compared to the one in your photo. They stopped producing that kind of pencils about 20 years ago I think. They produce mainly stuff for kids, the artist's grade is by Lyra now. I have found nothing about them on net in the past, the only info were given me at the local art store where I bought mine at a special price because they were the last of that kind.

Wow, so they are lightfast and artist grade? Great to know that...I have many duplicates, but sad to realize that I can no longer buy the missing pencils. I do use pastels mostly, but it's nice to know I have a good set of colored pencils in case I ever need them. Thanks for the reply.

Zephirine
07-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Well, I don't know how good the lightfastness could be, so as for the pigments used, they're very old and the quality had different parameters in the past.

jakertanner
07-23-2014, 12:21 AM
true, just hoping that if they were made for artists, then it would be good. Anyway, I would rarely use them, unless I really needed to.