PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush in transit

scratchmaster
07-14-2014, 12:41 AM
I decided I want to join the club of "airbrush on scratchboard" artists. An Iwata HP-CH is on its way. There are so many models and they all sound about the same. I'm hoping I can have some fun with it. Any opinions on this particular model?

ggart4u
07-14-2014, 06:50 AM
No... but I've broken mine out more often now and am learning how to handle it better!

Rodman
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
About any airbrush will do what MOST scratchboard artist need it for. And likewise, most of the skills needed for airbrushing on scratchboard are VERY basic. Have fun.
HOT TIP for beginners... Its easier to learn proper technique, than it is to correct bad technique, later.

JennyD
07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Check out a guy from NC called Dru Blair for airbrushing. Phenomenal work and a lovely guy as well

PaintDog
07-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the new tool, Russ! Have fun. I bought an airbrush setup after Rodman's demo in Santa Rosa, but haven't used it much. My sister in law took a workshop from a guy and I'm planning on going with her next time.

Jenny, I've seen Dru's work on Facebook - it's impressive.

scratchmaster
07-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Like most guitars and most exercise equipment, it will probably get used once and gather dust, but I'll never know until I try. I keep seeing airbrushed backgrounds and wish I could do them. I've also seen a few videos where selected areas are darkened after they are scratched. Reliability was the main thing I was looking for and Iwata seems to be at the top of the list for reliability.

XQB
07-15-2014, 06:39 AM
I just this morning decided that I need to do this as well. $$ is a bit snug for the moment, but I'm going to begin investigating today. Smooth, texture-free metallic backgrounds are my goals for sure!

Trilby
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I was given a single action gravity feed brush but have not made the time yet to try it out so will be interested in how you do.
TJ

FoggyMountain
07-15-2014, 10:45 PM
I sure wish there was someone I could take airbrush lessons from. Have to get some one-on-one to learn it. Beautiful effects are created with it. Good luck to you.

scratchmaster
07-19-2014, 11:46 PM
I finally got all the pieces ready to put together. After assembling everything, I turned the compressor on. The fitting connecting the airbrush hose to the regulator was leaking so I re-did the teflon tape and tightened it a little tighter. That seemed to fix it. So far I have just shot air through the brush. I want to learn how to clean it before I start making messes. Youtube has been a great tool for finding introductory tutorials for newbies like me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2014/13778-russ-airbrush-setup.jpg

Shirl
07-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I have a new Iwata airbrush with the trigger. Haven't used it yet. I think I am making excuses not to....

ggart4u
07-20-2014, 07:52 AM
You have the gravity fed one... nice! I have two that have the jar or cup underneath. It's a little tricky for me as a lefty because I hold my hand at an odd angle. The open cup can spill. I am new to detail work with it but, I agree, YouTube has been great. I can take both of my brushes completely apart and put them back together now with ease. Makes cleaning them less frightening!
I find I am using it more and more.

scratchmaster
07-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Ginger, what is your process for cleaning your airbrushes? What do you use to clean up the Ampersand inks?

ggart4u
07-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Normally water, but I have airbrush cleaner too.

Garbonzo
07-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Airbrushes are hard to hurt. Just blowing ink is easier to clean by just blowing some diluted cleaner, about 50/50 cleaner to water, after using it. If it starts sticking after sitting for a while maybe blow some straight cleaner through it. Airbrushing for Scratchboard doesn't require serious skills, just a steady hand and some patience. Backgrounds require some slow steady layering like you would spray sealer over a finished board. Shading can be a little trickier practice helps a great deal. Practice on plain paper. You will get the hang of it fairly quickly.