PDA

View Full Version : Red barn

b'anna
07-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi. Did this for an Adobe PS class I'm taking. Have done little to nothing in Photoshop so I am amazed at what you can really accomplish. All comments and critiques are always welcome and thanks for looking.
Barb

Abdullah Al-Farsi
07-12-2014, 03:29 PM
well... u r really professional and talented, Barb!!

Great job :)

Lucy-Foote
07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Your red barn looks really nice. I was wondering what the bright white pool looking in the road is suppose to represent. ?

Lucy http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2014/70668-a_Foote_icon_sm.JPG

Elainepsq
07-13-2014, 09:26 AM
This is very nice Barb, I like the softness of this, very impressionistic. I like how the color blend on the canvas.
The white bothers me a little as well, I find my eye stops there, trying to figure out what that is.
Also, if you don't mind, I'm a little concerned about the perspective of the barn The back edge of the roof of the barn should be parallel to the front of the barn. Unless I'm missing something. I know often barns have been added onto and there is a shed coming off here or there, but I'm attaching a diagram of where I'm thinking the roof should be.
Barb, this is a really nice style. One of the reasons I don't paint that much in photoshop, is because I can't get the wet paint look of colors mixing on the canvas, and you've really captured it here.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2014/42008-barbs_barn.jpeg

b'anna
07-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks folks. Elaine, I see what you mean. I'll have to go back and correct that. And that white blob is suppose to be a puddle (LOL) but doesn't work so that is either going or getting corrected. But thanks so much for the Feed Back all. I need that because I don't always see these things.
I'll show you when I correct it.
Barb

PeriSoft
07-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Really nice. What brushes / workflow were you using? Much layering or just straight up painting? I've never been able to make PS play nicely for doing art; it always seems 'dead', but whatever you're doing it obviously works.

b'anna
07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
THANKS Peri,
I've been taking a class with Tim Shelbourn and he is a genius with Photoshop. These are the first Photoshop paintings I would consider came out half way decent. It didn't play nice with me either.These have been a result of his classes.
This was many layers (just cause I like the fall back of them) And just a modification of some oil pastel brush. It was not a mixer brush. I did do some light blending but not much. What I did to get a more blended feel is to duplicate the layer and add a blur to the bottom layer and left the top as Multiply (I think) and reduced the opacity but it left it a little more solid.

Thanks again!
Barb

b'anna
07-13-2014, 03:43 PM
New Version of my red barn. Does the barn make sense now? And I got rid of my white blob (lol) tried to tone it down a bit. Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if this makes more sense

PeriSoft
07-13-2014, 06:07 PM
THANKS Peri,
I've been taking a class with Tim Shelbourn and he is a genius with Photoshop. These are the first Photoshop paintings I would consider came out half way decent. It didn't play nice with me either.These have been a result of his classes.
This was many layers (just cause I like the fall back of them) And just a modification of some oil pastel brush. It was not a mixer brush. I did do some light blending but not much. What I did to get a more blended feel is to duplicate the layer and add a blur to the bottom layer and left the top as Multiply (I think) and reduced the opacity but it left it a little more solid.

Thanks again!
Barb

Interesting. Photoshop CC 2014 works surprisingly well on the Terrible Tablet, but with an Atom proc and 2gb of memory it doesn't take much to bog it down horribly; the bristly brushes in PS are essentially useless. I'm starting to really think about getting a Cintiq Companion, which would make a rather nicer platform on which to experiment... :D

b'anna
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Peri, I admit I might be an enabler but I have a cintiq companion and I love it. It did go back for a problem but it was obviously a known problem because as soon as they got it, they had a new one out to me. I love this thing. I have had no problems with either adobe or painter. It does what it was designed to do and it does it well!

geopaint
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Very nice, especially the revised. Honestly didn't know you could get those effects with photoshop. Good job.

PeriSoft
07-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Peri, I admit I might be an enabler but I have a cintiq companion and I love it. It did go back for a problem but it was obviously a known problem because as soon as they got it, they had a new one out to me. I love this thing. I have had no problems with either adobe or painter. It does what it was designed to do and it does it well!

Enable away! It's kind of an absurd amount of money given that I'm not a professional, nor have I much in the way of financial stability, but I'm at the point now where I'm drawing three or four hours a day every day, and when I'm not doing it I'm thinking about it. And the limitations of the Lenovo are starting to become a real issue - its video drivers insist on changing the contrast and brightness of the screen depending on the image it's displaying (they helpfully make it impossible to turn this off, so you absolutely never know whether what you're seeing is correct), the nonlinearity and offset of the pen become worse problems the more precise *I* get, and I'm essentially limited to a few liquid ink brushes, medium airbrushes, and a few scattered other small brushes lest I end up waiting several seconds for the tablet to catch up to what I'm doing.

If you don't mind my threadjacking, does the Cintiq provide good controls for setting the pressure curve? One of the biggest frustrations I have now is that while the Lenovo with the Bamboo feel has detailed and consistent pressure response, the curve has 80% of the range stuffed into 10% of the pressure area. So there's barely any difference between pressing not at all and pressing a little bit, and then from pressing a little bit to a tiny bit more you go from 10% opacity to 90% opacity, and then from a tiny bit more to full pressure you get the last 10%. It's immensely frustrating, because try as I might I can't get Painter X3 to set up brushes in a way to compensate, and particularly because the stylus on my phone (Note 2) is worse, but Infinite Painter lets you pick a nonlinear curve that makes it far better to use than the Bamboo and Lenovo with Painter! It's insane that they put everything in Painter they did and then failed to have a powerful enough tool to do something as simple as a lookup table for brush pressure... :crying:

LavenderFrost
07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Nice work Barb!

b'anna
07-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Peri, I'm not sure I can answer you but I do know the companion does eveything my big machine does. It has yet to bog down and if you play with the brushes in whatever program it gives you unbelievalbe pressure sensitivity. I can go from super light to a graduated dark with no real jumps I'll do s sample and show you

b'anna
07-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Geo, Michelle, thanks gor the kind words!
Barb

arl
07-16-2014, 09:43 AM
This is wonderful. I like the overall composition and the colors and brushwork.

Munin Raven
07-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Very nice indeed. I really like the composition. :thumbsup:

Regarding the puddle. I think the reason it draws the eye a little too much is that it reads as one big mass, and the direction of the brush strokes don't match the sweep of the road, or create the suggestion of water reflecting. If you were to break up the mass and go for something a little more suggestive, it might sit better in the painting. I did a quick paint over to get across what I mean... hope you don't mind.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Odds/RedPO_zpscde3b4ae.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Odds/RedPO_zpscde3b4ae.jpg.html)

b'anna
07-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Munin, thanks! i like the way you handled the puddle. And thanks for taking the time! i appreciate it.
barb