PDA

View Full Version : Can You Guess the Pigments?

Cypress11
07-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Thought it might be a little interesting to put up a painting in progress. I just recently started art 2 years ago and thought that it would be a cool thread to guess the colors that we use in our daily work. This is my submission in oil painting mainly using Williamsburg oils. This is just a practice piece I recently started.

Can you guess the pigments I used? There are a total of 7 (including white)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2014/1179051-2111.jpg Can you guess the pigments I used? There are a total of 7 (including white)

sidbledsoe
07-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I am only guessing that you are using black, yellow ochre, a red, maybe indian red, and maybe an umber, beyond that would be totally picking random colors.

Cypress11
07-12-2014, 11:55 PM
actually you are very close. Yellow Ochre, Pyrrole Rubine, Spanish Earth (PR102), German Earth (PBK 11), Prussian Blue, Flake an Titanium White. All Williamsburg oils aside from Pyrrole Rubine (on the sleeves) which is Rembrandt.

Patrick1
07-13-2014, 07:23 AM
EDIT: I answered before I saw the answer, but my guess was:

-Titanium White
-Ivory Black
-Yellow Ochre or Raw Sienna
-Burnt Sienna
-Indian Red or Violet Oxide
-Burnt Umber
-PR206

Cypress11
07-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Spanish Earth by Williamsburg ("hair", and most of the garment) has a very strong violet hue which I love since it is a natural earth color. The Pyrrole Rubine (Lips and sleeves) which was discussed in the previous post is highly chromatic and a very good alizarin crimson substitute (in my opinion). Yellow Ochre and Prussian Blue brought out most of the back drop minus the skies. And the skies are Yellow Ochre, German Earth, a slight touch of Prussian Blue, Titanium White, and Flake White added outside the base of the head and hands to keep the observer focused on the center of the painting. The chair behind her was a Yellow Ochre and Spanish earth mix.

Beautiful colors from my favorite brand of paint (Williamsburg), but still a long work in progress. I use it as practice for portrait work and I would strongly suggest anyone interested in figure or portrait work to check out Da Vinci's notes as it helped me go from stick figures to this in a matter of a few months.

opainter
07-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Here's my guesses:

Titanium White
Venetian Red
Yellow Ochre
Raw Umber
Paynes Gray
Chromium Oxide Green
Naples Yellow

P.S. - Now I see the answer, and I'm not particularly close!

Cypress11
07-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2014/1179051-image.jpg

llawrence
07-30-2014, 11:11 AM
If this painting had been completed 200 years ago - or even 100 - I could take a wild guess. But at this point in history, they could be virtually anything.