PDA

View Full Version : Crayola supertip markers

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi guys,

So I bought this crayola supertip marker set and, honestly, they suck. :( Some of the colors are not bright enough and when I draw over them, they all become black. Not sure if this is because of the color or because the paper is absorbing it too much or both.

Any better recommendations please?

DrDebby
07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Crayola is a children's brand of art supplies. Sounds like they won't work for you. You might want to look at Dick Blick Art (http://www.dickblick.com/categories/markers/) or something similar and browse the markers section. Depends on your budget you could look at the markers used by Manga artists which can be blended and come in loads of colors. Kind of pricey, but are excellent.

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 09:46 PM
markers used by Manga artists which can be blended and come in loads of colors

Sounds like what I'm looking for. Would you recommend something for me please because I'm totally clueless. I'm also not based in the US so I have to buy online.

Shannon Expat
07-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Quite a few believe Copic markers to be the gold standard. They have the price to prove it too.

DrDebby
07-12-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't have personal experience using markers so am not the one to tell you which is best. Sorry. I can tell you all about colored pencils tho'. :D

AnnaE
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Sharpies have some sets of fine and regular tip markers that have a lot of variety of colors. You can also buy them separately in some of the office supply stores.

robertsloan2
07-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Copic markers are expensive. Prismacolor markers are decent but not in a grade with Copic. Blick has its own house brand of markers. Those might be a serious step up from Crayola, which are genuinely made for little kids. Price, the cheapest good ones are likely to be Blick's house brand. They do decent artist grade house brand supplies based on their Artist Watercolors and Pastels and other things I've tried.

Other than that, I'm more used to brush tip markers. I love the Pitt Artist Pens and it is stupid expensive but I want the big 48 color set of Pitt Artist Pens Big Brush, which have brush tips the size of Tombow dual tip brush markers.

I bought four packs of Tombow dual tip brush markers, because the expressive pointy brush tip is easiest for me to sketch with versus chisel tip markers. They are great. There's a colorless blender one in with it.

Last, if you like brush tip markers, there's also a Bienfang set of pre-loaded watercolor markers with watercolor and a nylon brush tip, last one is just loaded with water for blending. Those looked refillable with liquefied artist watercolor. Or there's using actual pan watercolors and a waterbrush rather than going for markers. The Sakura Koi pocket pans sets with water brush feel like I'm using a marker that changes color - but I'm used to brush tips.

Tombow ones are water soluble and dissolve and stir around and blossom if water's added. Pitt Artist Pens are waterproof. Both are brush tip.

Chisel tip if I were going to replace the Prismacolor ones I gave away, I'd get the Blick house brand set of 12 to see if I like them as much, because price is better on the Blick house brand ones.

Your call. You might try getting samples of the marker brands. Heck, email Blick and ask them for samples, you might get some to try!

Keeping regular markers from streaking drove me nuts, but I also never tried Copic because they were just too expensive when I hardly ever do manga or comics drawing.