PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm totally new to art journals. I have a blank journal and no materials except some acrylic paints. Would you mind recommending me some materials to buy such as,

1. Color pens (the kind that don't bleed or blot)
2. Stencils
3. gel mediums that give a nice shine

Thanks!

Yorky
07-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Nirdesha, I'm no expert but I use waterproof fibre tip pens and a small watercolour set. There is no restrictions really, use whatever medium you are comfortable with.

Doug

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Would you mind telling me the brand you use so that I can buy the same on eBay?

Yorky
07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I use any pigmented waterproof fibre tip pen I find, Pitt pens, Staedler pens, Berol 1800 and the like, in various sizes 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5, but you can start with pencils.

If you plan to use markers you have to beware they can penetrate the paper.

Here's my sketching kit:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2014/1046-PleinAirKit.jpg

Doug

DrDebby
07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Start by using what you have at hand, pencils, ball point pens, even highlighters. Use the acrylics, just realize they can be sticky for quite some time so you may want to put some wax paper between pages.

If you can, go browse the scrap book or art section of a local store, hobby, craft, or art store. If something catches your attention, try it. There is no right or wrong way to do art journals.

You will find as you go along that you will try someone else's brand of supply, and it may not fit your way of working. So, you move on to something else. Also your supplies will be depending on what you are doing with your art journal. If it's for sketching and painting, you may be using more fine art type supplies. If it's for free form multi-media, everything including the kitchen sink to express yourself, you may find yourself using everything, including children's crayons.

The thing is to explore. We'd love to see what you come up with.

Jeffro Jones
07-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm totally new to art journals. I have a blank journal and no materials...
Have you not seen the "supplies" thread at the top of this sub-forum???

It is insane! Some spartan souls take nothing more than a 2b pencil, others carry a packpack containing the entire contents of a small art supply store :lol:

Jump in and try everything!

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Have you not seen the "supplies" thread at the top of this sub-forum???

Yes and was overwhelmed. :lol: But it is nice....

Nirdesha
07-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Doug! Will investigate your options.