PDA

View Full Version : blue earth pastels

annette71
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Hello all... good afternoon.

Has anybody used the new brand "Blue Earth Pastels"? I think they are sold by Dakota.

Any thoughts about them?

Best.

Saskia
07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
I have some, and I do like them a lot. They are soft, a bit like Great Americans, but not as "oily" feeling, if you know what I mean. Their main selling point is obviously their color approach, and you can see their sets and colors have been meticulously thought out. I bought both of their Nearly Neutral sets, and don't really see where they could be improved as far as colors go. The colors are fantastic.

The only problem I see with them is that they very small--just over an inch long--and I therefore cannot quite justify the price. That's just too small in my opinion, and it becomes a matter of principle. If not for that, they would be some of my favorites, but as it is I will probably not buy any more of them. Too bad. I really wish they were just a little bit bigger.

robertsloan2
07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Good to know that. I've been very tempted but it's good to know they're about half stick sized.

Saskia
07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
They are even smaller than my Sennelier and Schminke half sticks. I'm not sure about Unisons half sticks though; the Unisons might be shorter. But aren't they a little fatter as well? The Blue Earths are the same diameter as the Sennie and Schmincke halves, only shorter.

allydoodle
07-09-2014, 01:51 AM
That is the exact reason why I've never tried them. I think they are overpriced for their size, which is a huge consideration IMHO. A friend of mine got one in a sampler, and I was surprised at the small size, and when I looked at the price I was immediately turned off, knowing I could get much more for my money with other brands. Too bad, they look like a nice product otherwise.

annette71
07-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks to all for sharing!

The size is an important constraint for me, as i paint mostly in larger formats (16x20, 19x23, 20x26 and 28x36). Maybe they will change the format soon in order to get competitive. Surely they will realize at some point the potential clients they're missing.

Best to all...

allydoodle
07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks to all for sharing!

The size is an important constraint for me, as i paint mostly in larger formats (16x20, 19x23, 20x26 and 28x36). Maybe they will change the format soon in order to get competitive. Surely they will realize at some point the potential clients they're missing.

Best to all...

If you haven't already tried them, Mount Vision pastels are a great pastel for larger works. The sticks are huge! They are reasonably priced (compared to all the other pastels on the market), are of excellent quality, and are quite nice to use. If you haven't tried them, I would highly recommend them for large paintings.

Jason1616
07-10-2014, 11:48 PM
I got the Blue Earth green set and find it useful although I agree about the size. They do seem a bit overpriced.

Chris: I totally agree with you about Mount Visions!! They are some of the best on the market IMHO.