PDA

View Full Version : question is what you use gold and silver and the differ colors of metal paint

jocko500
07-06-2014, 01:50 AM
what do you paint with gold and silver and the metal colors they selling now days. i bought some but may have used them one time.
maybe I need to play with them more?
i know art history they used gold and silver in they paintings but i do not paint images of Saints. maybe one day but not now :lol: I not down on that art it just not me.

So my question is what you use gold and silver and the differ colors of metal paints like bronze and medal red and other colors with metal in them. :confused:

oh i use acrylic which do sell these colors. not sure if they in oil guess gold and silver is? :confused:

Gigalot
07-06-2014, 03:48 PM
what do you paint with gold and silver and the metal colors they selling now days. i bought some but may have used them one time.
i know art history they used gold and silver in they paintings but i do not paint images of Saints. maybe one day but not now :lol: I not down on that art it just not me.

So my question is what you use gold and silver and the differ colors of metal paints like bronze and medal red and other colors with metal in them. :confused:

oh i use acrylic which do sell these colors. not sure if they in oil guess gold and silver is? :confused:

No metals in acrylic paints. Those paints are pigmented with coated mica. Titanium coated and iron oxide coated mica, an imitation of metals.

bruin70
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM

when you use metal paints you use them decoratively. you're not going to incorporate or mix them like you do regular pigments...they won't mix. just look at klimt's work. you use metal paints in shapes that enhance composition.

sidbledsoe
07-06-2014, 11:42 PM
You use a gold or silver type of paint because you want it to reflect a shiny metallic type of sheen. Here is a work in progress where I used Winsor Newton Gold oil paint as a sort of glowing halo :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2014/112587-IMG_0348.JPG

I also plan to use it on some metallic plates or vases and such in some still lifes, and maybe in some more abstract stuff too.

jocko500
07-07-2014, 12:17 AM
thanks every one

Aspsusa
07-07-2014, 04:57 AM
when you use metal paints you use them decoratively. you're not going to incorporate or mix them like you do regular pigments...they won't mix.

They _do_ mix, at least the fine grain from Golden do. But in mixes the easiest is to just tint the metallic colour - make the gold more red, or the silver more green or blue etc.

Another possible use is the coarse metal colours as a ground for pastels or whatever.

Nalatu
07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
You use it the same way the old masters did - you use it to highlight something important or make something seem extra-special. You could also mix a small amount into a sky, the wings of a bird, or a shell to give a subtle glow. I suggest playing with it to see how it behaves as an underpainting, a mix-in, or a top glaze. You may be surprised by how it turns out.

jocko500
07-08-2014, 01:06 AM
thanks i will play with them some more soon. I busy working on a 4x4 painting with over 25 people in it lol.

sidbledsoe
07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
thanks i will play with them some more soon. I busy working on a 4x4 painting with over 25 people in it lol.
time to get out your high powered jewelers eye loupe! :lol:

Patrick1
07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
time to get out your high powered jewelers eye loupe! :lol:
So that you can see for yourself the truth that your monitor produces all the colors using only red, green, and... never mind. :lol:

sidbledsoe
07-08-2014, 10:46 PM
lol pat!

sidbledsoe
07-10-2014, 10:59 PM
After 2 more glazes it is developing a very solid nice sheen. I do believe that multiple glazing is the way to realize the utmost effect from these metallic paints.
The only one I have at the mo is the Winsor Newton Gold oil paint and it is pretty transparent.but it is marked as semi-transparent.
Two coats on the left and then with 2 more glazes added on the right. I will glaze another couple of times then the background will be done:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2014/112587-IMG_0348.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2014/112587-IMG_0353.JPG
As noted, there is nothing wrong with mixing these paints as you like with other regular oils. Here I am mixing the gold with regular burnt umber and blending into it.
I am using a stand oil/damar/solvent medium for the glazings.

jocko500
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
thanks