PDA

View Full Version : 1 on 1 with a 10 year old

Rodman
07-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I have been camping and working in Turkey Run. The lady that runs the place came up and said a lady had a easel set up, back on one of the other campsites. I went over to have a look.... Turns out it was a campfire cooking tripod. But, I had already asked the campers there, if there was an Artist here. The friendly folks said "Yes, our daughter ". When her brother brought her back... It was a wonderful lil 10 year old. We all talked Art and I dug a bunch of stuff out of my van. I gave her a 9x12 Clayboard and jotted down where she could get the few tools she would need. In the end, I set up my easel and did a little lesson. She did 90% of this. Most of the things I demoed for her, I reinked and made her redo it. Here's the result. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2014/19717-image.jpg
I wanted to show the people camping next to me and they offered her $50, for it. That took her awhile to decline. But, she kept the piece! ( much, to my delight )
I do not remember having such a fine time..... A very good day! I can't remember her name but, I did have her scratch it in the bat.

Crias
07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Awesome thing for you to do and great results!

Harry Seymour
07-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Rodman, I know how you feel about this and your involvement with kids is terrific. I recently had nephew visit and he remarked to his mother that the best part of his trip was doing a piece of scratchboard art. It is a good feeling.

ggart4u
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Another scratch boarder in the making... awesome!

jennaboo88
07-05-2014, 08:52 PM
How exciting for her, and what a great thing for you to do! She did a really excellent job. Was the subject matter and composition yours or hers? Either way, it's an excellent work!

Rodman
07-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks Cathy,Harry & Ginger.

Jenna... She saw the Mountain climbing penguin piece and said that was her favorite animal. When I decided to just go ahead and work with her. A penguin made a good choice because she likes them AND it's a simple shape. I asked her what else she did/liked. She said Softball. She sketched everything except the hat ( she couldn't seem to figure it out )& one shoe. I posed for the batter ( explaining nose direction pointed to where the ball would be coming from and that one eye is partially hidden and gave hints at other correction.) she did all of the airbrush except the drop shadow below the bat & arm. I scratched one eye. Reinked it & had her redo it. I did the stitches on the left side of the ball and one of the marks indicating the balls speed. That's it. Smiles all around!

Inthefog
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
What fun for both of you!

PatrickHedges
07-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Awesome mate - love it! She looks stoked with it!

Snow Dance
07-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Smiles all around, indeed!!

Becky

PaintDog
07-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Excellent teamwork, and you made a memory for her that will last a lifetime!

FoggyMountain
07-06-2014, 10:22 PM
You're so wonderful Rod. Very cool of you.

Trilby
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
What a little cutie and doesn't she look pleased. Wow, not only a lesson in scratch board art but in air brushing as well. Fantastic and what fun for you both. Quite a thing for her to decline the $50.
TJ

nettasaura
07-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Rodman you rock!