PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner - July 2014

Crias
07-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Welcome to July!

While many of you were off playing at the ISSA show I was moving. I am short term back in Aurora, because I take off for about 3 1/2 weeks in Tanzania soon. Very excited for that trip!! Before that I have to run artwork to Utah for a show. Of course, as is typical when one moves, now I can't find anything! After I get back from Africa I will figure out more permanent housing, hopefully back up near where I moved from. Anyways I won't be around much this next month.

ggart4u
07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Safe travels... and lots of cool photos!

Foxyheart2002
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
So sorry you had to move, Cathy! Perhaps it will be for the best in the long run. Where in Utah are you exhibiting?

Crias
07-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi Sue - in Ogden as part of the Traces of the West Show. First time I have done this particular show.

Foxyheart2002
07-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Good luck, Cathy! Hope you do well.

SandeVBL
07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Tanzania sounds like a fantastic place to go. Don't forget your camera! :)

ggart4u
07-02-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm still reeling from being around so many fantastic people with amazing talent and engaging, witty personalities. I did not get a chance to get to spend a whole lot of time with everyone but I enjoyed what I could. What a blast!
Most are back to their respective homes, or soon will be. We still have some family in until tomorrow and then we travel to my Dad's in the mountains of North Carolina this weekend.
Maybe I'll rest next week.
I miss all of those I met and look forward to reuniting next year and making even more friends in Frederick, Maryland!

nelvia
07-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Just found this and hope ok to give you some info on what's happening. This has been the year of learning how to be retired. Whoopee!! Now things are starting to come together on the art plan. Joined an established art group in Atlanta. Entered my first shows with this group and just found out was juried into two shows, (neither judge was in my media type) awesome as there are some wonderful,artists in this group and I am thrilled and humble to be part of,them. One of the pieces was my scratchboard Zebra. Know part of,the allure is it is different. Thanks to all in this group who have educated and encouraged

Trilby
07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Cathy, Glad you found a temporary berth that frees you for your dream trip. You will have such amazing ref photos from it as well as wonderful experiences.
Nelvia, a good art group is the best, good for you.
I am putting the finishing touch on a collection of 19 gallery ready pieces in scratchboard, oil and pastels in a Southwestern/Western theme to present to a high end gallery in Tucson with hopes of their representation, if not them then I have others on my short list I've been too long without good representation since my last gallery closed shop.
May everyone have a grand old Independence Weekend and stay safe.
TJ

Foxyheart2002
07-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Ginger, will you be affected by the Hurricane this weekend? Be safe!

ggart4u
07-04-2014, 04:37 PM
We just got a little rain and Steph a little bit more of a storm. All is good!

PaintDog
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I know you're probably far enough inland, Ginger, but I was wondering about Steffi, glad all is ok!

PatrickHedges
07-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Pack me in your bag Cathy!!!!! (I lived in Tanzania when I was one and then again when I was nine).

FoggyMountain
07-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Good luck with your trip and your move Cathy.

Celticelf
07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi all - it's hot here but not yet triple digit and my grass is green, so I'll get over it. Hope to have car back this week. Nervous driving rental that was so new it only had 3 miles on it driving it out of the lot. June hit below the belt with the ER and crunching my car (not deliberate but refuse to use the word accident when it was preventable) but July off to a good start. Asked to do a demo in November for a large art league in the area. Of course I said yes, but now concerned because I do workshops but not demos. Means getting that pile of idea sheets off the shelf and partially finishing several to have areas of different techniques to show. Definitely helped my bruised artistic ego. Today, though, I have to quickly learn how to make paper boomerangs since I am teaching it tomorrow evening :) Saturday is a program on Ginseng in Fact and Fiction. Yeah, I plan great adult programs! Peace to all.

ggart4u
07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
All the best Terri... you CAN do it. Great opportunities and a better start to a a better month!

Celticelf
07-09-2014, 03:04 PM
:cat: Thanks Ginger.

Rodman
07-13-2014, 01:19 PM
I thumb typed a rather long message and WC seems to have ate it.

Short version. I don't often take time to keep up on scratchy corner but thought maybe some old friends might enjoy this....

Airbrush demo at Lincoln college of technology. Indianapolis. Plus, I taught a Airbrush class to 7 teachers that were visiting & teach autobody at a high school level. The students and teachers enjoyed the demo & the teachers Loved the lil class. I had intended to add some color but ran out of time.

It's a car hood. Please note: the hood IS black. The sanded clear I worked over the top of, makes the hood look dull and grey. When they clear the hood the background will turn black again and the blacks I added will fall into the BG.

I'm still in Indiana but should be headed west in the next couple of days.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2014/19717-image.jpg

ggart4u
07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I'd love to see the car this goes on! Neat, Rodman!

PaintDog
07-13-2014, 11:38 PM
That's too cool, Rodman. That car owner is a lucky person!

How far west are ya headed?

Rodman
07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
The hood will just be on display. I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow & seeing about slipping back and adding the color.

West = Colorado but who knows. I'm open for about anything. But would really like to hang around to hear back from the college about their ideas to work with me.

Trilby
07-14-2014, 01:59 AM
You said you worked over "sanded clear" Does this mean the clear coat and only the clear coat was sanded off? It's a great job of air brushing and some added color will take it over the top.
TJ

Rodman
07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Huh? Think..... Scuffed up..........Nothing was sanded "OFF".

MJGresko
07-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone. Well it's been over a year since I picked up an exacto blade but lo and behold I have started a very ambitious board. I'm working from a photo I took at a Pow Wow held in my town in May. So you can pretty much guess what my subject matter is. Anyway I remember seeing someone's work on here of a Native American(s) and I'm looking for some inspiration. Can't remember who did that magnificent work. Anybody know who it was?

Diane Cutter
07-14-2014, 08:08 PM
I've been lurking the last few months while getting settled into our new digs but not much time to comment. My studio is finally to my liking and I can now make art there. It's pretty jammed full but, though cluttered, I know where everything is. It was tough moving down from a 3 room area to one.

My good news is that I was juried into the Corrales Bosque Gallery, a nearby cooperative gallery. I've followed this gallery for years and hoped to be a part of it when we came back to the Southwest. I presented 3 woodcuts and 3 scratchboards and both media were accepted. So now I have a gallery just minutes from my home... Sweet!

Diane

Obedec
07-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Marcia, both Diana Lee and Pam B have threads for Native Americans..somewhere in here.

ggart4u
07-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Marcia, ISSA member, Linda Kukuk also has Native American art. Not sure if it's in here or not.

MJGresko
07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks...it may have been Pam that I'm thinking of. It was a
couple years ago that I saw it on here.

Rodman
07-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Update on the hood. Color and clear. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2014/19717-image.jpg

ggart4u
07-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah... that's fun! Probably the most fun that group has had!

Obedec
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Awesome, Rod!

PaintDog
07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Rad!!!

Snow Dance
07-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Delightlfully, laugh out loud wonderful!

Becky

FoggyMountain
07-15-2014, 10:51 PM
OMG Rod, that is sooooo cool! You are amazing.

SandeVBL
07-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Great job, Rod! What fun that must have been.
After the ISSA show and trip I found out we were to go off again, this time down to Tennessee to see some family. I brought some scratchboard but didn't do any. So now I'm back and eager to get back to work!
And I'm needing to find some shows and some places to exhibit some work. I think it's time to join a few art groups in the area. I've been out of the regional art scene for many years and just rediscovering it this summer.

theBoardLady
07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Update on the hood. Color and clear. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2014/19717-image.jpg

Incredibly done, Rodman. :thumbsup: It shows your style beautifully. :clap: Very nice work.

PatrickHedges
07-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Man, that is one awesome hood!! Too cool Rodman!!

lorna12
07-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Wow Rod, that is mind blowing! I see you reflected in the clear coat, lol and the work is definitely all Rodman. Are you heading this far west?

Marcia...Diana Lee did a couple of wonderful native pieces several years ago.

Cathy hope you're having a fantastic trip!

Sorry I haven't been around much, but it's summer...had company, went on a small trip...just been lazy. I have got 2 pieces on the go but haven't felt much like working on them, but I go back to work tomorrow and will be taking a board with me.

That's all my news...hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Diana Lee
07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Great airbrush Rod!

Marcia, I did a pair of kids with color pencil on white board then scratched. Here is one.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2014/5-boy_in_a_headdress.JPG

MJGresko
07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Wow seeing this makes me wish I would have done a white board instead! Well if I finish this one I'm working on in time I may try a white board anyway.

ggart4u
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Diana, I've seen this before, but what a treat to see it again!

XQB
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Rod, much as I love my B&W, the color just blew the roof off of this! Phantastick!

spikeaboo
07-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Is Clayboard the same as whiteboard? If so Jerry's Artarama has it on sale until 8/17. Half off the original list price. Tina

ggart4u
07-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Tina, Heres is what Ampersand's Claybord looks like:
http://www.ampersandart.com/claybord.html

PaintDog
07-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Claybord is Scratchbord without the black coating. Same clay coating and performance (scratchability).

spikeaboo
07-24-2014, 09:05 PM
So the White Board in Diana's post with the Indian boy in ceremonial garb is ClayBoard? Also , Diana I love, love, love, that piece. One of my favorites of yours, Tina

GoldenArt
07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Hi all, Sorry I have been away for so long . I will be looking thru all the great work. Hope to be posting again soon. Rick

PaintDog
07-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Yes, Tina, Diane uses Claybord.

Welcome back, Rick!

Totally off the subject, but I thought I'd share a couple of the non-scratchy things I've done lately. These are pen & ink drawings on ostrich eggs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2014/93895-cheetah.jpg
Cheetah the American Pit Bull Terrier

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2014/93895-tiger.jpg
Siberian Tiger

Foxyheart2002
07-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Nicely done, Ann!!!

If anyone is in the Malibu area on Sat or Sun, I have an art festival at the Civic Center. Lots of Celebrities will be there!

PaintDog
07-26-2014, 02:37 AM
Thanks Sue!

Have fun in Malibu:D I WISH I was near there, it's gonna be hot here in northern CA for the next few days.

Obedec
07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Good Morning Everyone,
I spent the day at Faerie World in Eugene, OR yesterday. I took a friend that had never been to a Faire of any sort. She got to dance in the Fairy Ring, and meet new friends, we both had a wonderful time. However, as the day wore on, we had to keep removing clothing. I guess I'm a true coastie now, because this is what we looked like in the end. I'm hugging my coast today.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2014/48983-Hot-In-the-Valley.jpg

lorna12
07-26-2014, 02:16 PM
lmao! Good one Karen!

Snow Dance
07-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Hey Ann, love your ostrich eggs, especially the tiger. A couple of years ago, I fiddled around with doing pysanky, (it was on my bucket list), and that led to a couple of scratchboards on hens eggs. I have an ostrich egg that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years, I may have to give that a try.

Becky

Snow Dance
07-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Becky again,

These are large size hens eggs, so larger than life in these photos. The pheasant feather was life size on the naturally brown egg.

Rodman
07-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Love the egg art ladies! Having painted Plenty-O-helmets.... It must be like doing a pinheads helmet! Nice work.

Lorna... I emailed you. I think I'm headed to Charlie's to pick up my camper and I'm going to hobo around some. Any Artist that end up on my path... Let's get together and blast on a Clayboard!!!

Karen... You need to be eating with me.... Or better yet... Cathy!

hectorstudio
07-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Yesterday, I received a letter from the Santa Clarita Artists’ Association. Beginning with this year, they will be adding a new category for their annual Art Gala: “Masters Class”. They have chosen 6 artists to be in this new category and they’ve based it on participation and awards received in the Gala over the past 5 years. I’m very pleased to say I was one of the 6 artists included in this new category. They will be doing more publicity on this, which will translate to more exposure to scratchboard art! And hopefully sales!

Foxyheart2002
07-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Had a wonderful time in Malibu this past weekend at an air fair. Met up with my friends again and this time I got a pic! ( I look really goofy!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2014/22615-meandthevandykes.jpg
Yep, Barry Van Dyke and Dick Van Dyke........yummmmmm

lorna12
07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Hey that's awesome Sue! Color me green! :D

PaintDog
07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I was watching the Dick Van Dyke show earlier today - so cool that you met him and now have a photo!

SandeVBL
07-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Hector - a big congratulations and very well deserved! Hope to hear updates on this.
Sue, what fun! I've enjoyed many shows by those 2 in the past.

ggart4u
08-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Wow... so many awards and adventures this July. So happy for you all!

PaintDog
08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I missed Hector's news earlier. That's wonderful and well deserved. Congratulations, Hector!