PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost July 2014

*Deirdre*
07-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

I know Robert has said he will look after this thread so I've just put it here for those anxious to start their goals today.

robertsloan2
07-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi Deirdre! It's six in the morning, so you must be in an earlier time zone. I went to bed early last night so didn't give it a midnight start. Thanks for posting it so quick.

Welcome to the Goal Post. I really did take over from Doug and will post daily commenting to goals as well as posting my own.

This month, July, I am going to be focusing in pastels. Haven't looked at the July Spotlight yet but I don't need to. I love that thread and will be doing at least one piece on theme.

1. Spotlight painting.
2. Daily sketching.
3. Write about art, do at least one blog article or new OP article.
4. Weather permitting do at least one plein air sketch or pastel painting.
5. Do one of the assignments I didn't complete in "Still Life the Colourful Way" because weather/time/health constraints shut me down toward the end of the class.

I'm in a huge writing block right now and have been for a while. So I'm not going to stress about it, but I'm going to enjoy the fact that my art came roaring back. I read through the class thread again on Still Life the Colourful Way, saw all my old pieces and realized how much I learned during the class. Getting back into the method, I realized I never did the beautiful colored glass photo reference class exercise so I'm going to join the Reprise students in the Studio thread and do that one at last.

I'd like to have the painting and I think I have a lot to learn from it.

Non art goals, deal with health stuff and let my fiction writing go fallow until I get sorted out about it. There are ways in which my whole view of life changed so deeply that my older fiction needs severe editing. I'm not sure I'm capable of that depth of changes or if it'd be easier writing new books, sort of doing both in the Chazho Rewrite. Might want to save that for when it's not warm weather art season.

However, July gets hot in San Francisco so this might not be a great month for getting much done. I get heat sick pretty easily now and don't have AC, so I sleep a lot and get bad-weather slumps when it's too hot. I do have one strategy I might try this year though. The hallway gets as cool and comfortable as a cave on the hottest days, cooler and more relaxing than my room, so I might take to going to the end of the hall with my walker and sitting down in a well lit spot by the window to sketch either the view or a reference from my Kindle.

I might or might not continue a series on roses in my art journal, still enjoying them but it wasn't planned. It's just that I have lots of good rose references easy at hand on a large true color screen.

Mij
07-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks for starting us off Deidre, you obviously keep different hours to Robert :wave:.

Those are good goals Robert, especially with this weather. I hope you can kepp sufficient health to tackle them.

I am going to not put a list this month as I want to concentrate on getting my pastels out. Sitting in their boxes they are doing nothing and it is such a chore to look them up one by one and get out the boxes as and when I want to use them. So, number one priority is

1) Get the pastel box on the move

2) Repeat number one.

Non art goals
Refer to art goals!
jim

*Deirdre*
07-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Jim & Robert...I got up late this morning! Didn't do this until 10.48 GMT or BST You forget...I'm in the UK so Five hours in front of EST...I think! So I can get up late and still be early in the USA!!:lol: :wave:

Mij
07-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Jim & Robert...I got up late this morning! Didn't do this until 10.48 GMT or BST You forget...I'm in the UK so Five hours in front of EST...I think! So I can get up late and still be early in the USA!!:lol: :wave:

Sorry Dierdre, I was forgetting you are in the UK. Yes 5 hours ahead so Robert can post before he dons his sleeping hat and we'd be ok with that here :):angel::clear::lol:.
jim

robertsloan2
07-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Right, I love it. I'm just not in the right country. So next month I'll do it before bed even if I go to bed stupid early or something. Try to get the jump on you anyway. lol

Jim, great goal! Keeping it simple this month. Awesome pastel box, looking forward to seeing more stages on it! You won't regret this.

Day 2 of dailies, I did get in a tree demo in watercolor pencil, it's in my Art Journals thread. That'll get real lively this month, I think.

Judibelle
07-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Hi Jim, Rob and Deirdre...
Love your humor, Jim....way to go.
Rob...good goals and off to a good start....

I will be doing a pastel course, 7 Mondays thro the summer, so hope to get my mojo back...and my inspiration. So that is my main goal for this month, and I will also (try to) get a Spotlight done.

robertsloan2
07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Wow, that sounds wonderful, Judy! Enjoy it. I hope you'll post your class paintings, I'm looking forward to seeing them. Yay for the Spotlight. I think this month's is going to be wonderful. Don picked one of my favorite colors!

Mij
07-02-2014, 05:22 PM
That sounds great JudiB. I do enjoy a course, especially pastels. Aren't you the lucky one. I hope you enjoy it and point us to where you post the results.
jim

robertsloan2
07-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Second artwork of the day, also posted in my Art Journals thread. A watercolor pencils painting of some pink flowers on a spike from my own photo. Also posted in Flowers and Botanical.

Somehow I think I'm back in stride with art!

Judibelle
07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Your flower spike is lovely. To me it does look like snapdragon, but I'm not sure either...

The course I will be taking is in-person on-site at a nearby Art School...but I will show results as I have them..

robertsloan2
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Purr thank you! I looked close while drawing it so I wasn't sure, there are some spikes in that garden that aren't snapdragons and there were some yellow actual snapdragons to compare. I tried to follow it faithfully so that people could tell me. For all I know it's a snapdragon that's a variety with a different shape. I didn't think of that, but now that you say it, that could be exactly what it is. All sorts of flowers vary, bearded irises and wild flags don't look the same but are both irises, roses can be five petal dog roses or fat cabbage roses and you'd never think those are the same flower. Thanks!

That's awesome your class is at a local Art School. There's a regular class on my block at the Senior Center that I've been thinking of looking into, see if they'll let me take the class before I'm sixty or if I have to wait till my birthday in December. Closer than it was, gosh, I really am pushing sixty now. Half a year isn't that long to wait even if I have to wait!

robertsloan2
07-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Third day in a row, daily drawing was a colored pencils hibiscus for the last day of the WDE. I liked the wild Hibiscus. Now it's posted in my art journals forum 2014 Sketches thread. That's where most of these daily artworks will wind up, even if I'm busy I seem to be able to do something in my journal.

robertsloan2
07-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Fourth day in a row, got in a page demo in my art journal, posted to Watermedia "Watercolor Pencil Demos" thread and to "2014 Sketches" thread in Art Journals. I am on a roll with those! But today I want to get dusty and might get started on my Spotlight.

Mij
07-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Perhaps it's the weather Robert that has you on a roll this month, or maybe it's something in your water :lol:. It really is good that you can utilise your journal that way. I like the 'spike' you drew although it looks like a foxglove from my monitor.

I have done two sketches of portraits and have ruined them by painting them. I have tried to get skin tones this afternoon and failed miserably. The oil artists bible's suggestions I cannot make work.....oh dear....
jim

getdusty
07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi all....I feel like I've been absent for a very long time and don't really have an explanation. Judi, wonderful that you are taking the pastels class and Robert, you're already on a roll. Jim, sometimes it's a very good thing to limit goals and focus on one thing. Am looking forward to seeing the completed box. Deidre, thanks for starting us off. I have a few goals on my to-do list this month. First, paint more (pastels and watercolors) and procrastinate less (I guess that's really two). Second, gather up 6 paintings for a "body of work" submission in order to attain active member status in a local art association. Third, put in a small garden so that my goatsbeard has some "friends" and Last, plant a swath of wildflowers along one edge of my yard. Wish me luck.

robertsloan2
07-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Good luck, Peg! Good thing those goals nest so well! #1 will help you accomplish #2 and #4 will help you with #3 because that bit of it won't need as much work as the rest, wildflowers tend to grow pretty well on their own. Especially local ones, after they're put in they'll make the rest easy.

They all sound great. I think the daily art was my best goal this month because it's making all the rest happen. Four days of sticking to it leaves me much more optimistic. Sick days don't count of course.

Mij
07-05-2014, 04:27 AM
I think this is the month where we play catch-up on the last few dismals.
Nice to catch up with you again Peg. Yes the more of goal one you do the less you'll procrastinate :lol:. Our grass is growing dandelions as we speak so local flowers take over :lol:.

Robert I wonder if you have found out how to determine the colours in an image - much like the colour picker in photoshop elements that Don used in the spotlight? I've tried the colour picker but it has a different outcome. I have done two drawings and ruined them by colouring them in and the colours are way off. The advice for skin tones from books are decidedly way off beam.
I will start on the pastel box Monday,
jim

robertsloan2
07-06-2014, 02:21 AM
I've used the colour picker in Gimp but it'll grab the pixel it lands on, that's the thing with photos. Could be anything really.

Fifth day in a row doing daily art, a ghastly color study for the landsacpe that's way off but weirdly looks better laying on its side at a distance. So maybe its lights and darks aren't too pathetic. But I know I can do better and that the real one will be less muted and the sky less purplish.

Mij
07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Darn! Yes it was Gimp I was referring too, I wasn't clear about that. It looks as if I might have to get photoshop elements then. Pity as I might have got away with paying nothing - my favourit price too! :lol:
jim

robertsloan2
07-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I'd be surprised if the Photoshop colour picker works any other way. It's not too hard for me to move it around to a pixel the colour of the general area instead of one of the accent ones.

Mij
07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Perhaps it's me then Robert. I was not getting the swatches of colour that Don was getting. I will try again.
jim

robertsloan2
07-06-2014, 05:45 PM
It sometimes helps to zoom in far enough so you can see the pixels in the area when selecting, if it's an area with a difficult complex hue. I took a photo of myself yesterday to make a new avatar with my beard, only it was still too large a file size after reducing it to size at 60 x 60 pixels. Because of the number of unique pixels in it. This after flattening the background completely. Guess my face was too complex.

More detail in private message so I don't flood this thread with Gimp trivia. It can be done, it's just complicated because controls aren't the same as Photoshop. Probably no more complicated than PS is but Gimp is what I'm used to and on top of that, they changed it last year to make it easier, which being new, is harder for me.

Mij
07-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Thank you Robert for the tuition via PM's on gimp. It helped me to see the colours better by swatches and will try again as soon as the pastel box allows. It is now 09:01 Monday and have just been downstairs to get the morning cuppa. I have been up but not functioning properly yet. I will put up photo's of the pastel box progress as I did previously.
jim

Mij
07-07-2014, 07:34 AM
It took awhile but I found all the bits and pieces that I think I will need. Oh a tape measure, a saw and the electric plane would be handy as would a pencil for marking.
It goes without saying that a cuppa is obligatory.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2014/69634-pastel_box_part_two_1.jpg

robertsloan2
07-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Oh wow! That's a lot of wood! Looks like you're building several, Jim. Thanks for the layout photo. This rocks!

Mij
07-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Robert, you might find this difficult to believe but my woodwork is worse than my art. And that is saying something. With art there is the 'happy accident' with woodwork it's all 'I should have remembered that'! Another fine mess I got myself into :lol:. So I got plenty of wood to start over a few times :angel:. There may be sufficient left over to make smaller pastel boxes. I did get measurements wrong on the bottoms and tops initially :D. I also found the hard-board that I had prepared with PVA glue for oil painting that I thought I'd lost. That lot was at the back of the photo-it's not wood.

I have found the initial plans which I thought I'd lost when I had to get a new computer. Must have been on the memory stick.
jim

robertsloan2
07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Oh that is great! I'm glad you found the lost initial plans. That has to help a lot with what you're doing.

I know the feeling and you had posted about the mismeasurement before. But now you're back on track and mistakes can be learnt from. I think you look well organized and it'll work out this time.

I still have a pochade box in pieces that I bought as a kit and it's in one of the boxes that hasn't been sent. When it gets here I'll need to get a drill to finish it, unless I can use my Dremel. I don't remember but I hope I packed it in the same box as the Dremel. I bought one, the good kit, with all the attachments. Got the card with all the attachments here but not the actual tool so that's sitting in the bottom of a tub with some other supplies. Back in Arkansas I didn't really have the light or space to set up for it.

Here, I've got good lighting and could make space. I'd always wanted to play with small woodwork, model building and stone carving. I even bought soapstone - guess what else didn't make it to California!

robertsloan2
07-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Day 7 - Underpainting of Spotlight "Open Road" so that's first week entirely on daily art. It counts to do a Stage.

I'm really on a roll here.

getdusty
07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Jim, looks like you could start a production line for the boxes :)
Robert, good going on all the art you've worked on already.
I've accomplished one goal....gathered my 6 pieces and delivered them today for consideration for active status. Will pick them up on Thurs and, I guess, I'll find out the result then.

Judibelle
07-08-2014, 07:27 AM
hi Peg...good to see you back!
Jim...looks like you're good to go!
Rob..hope you are feeling better, but good that you continue to sketch!

My first class went well yesterday...lots of review, which was helpful. And he insists on thumbnails, which I rarely, if ever, do. So it was a 'value' lesson to start with, and a vase of wildflowers to practice on. We are using sanded paper, which I haven't done much of, but the class was good incentive.
Looking forward to next week...

Mij
07-08-2014, 03:51 PM
It is good to see you all back here and cheering us on. By jove we need it! Especially the pastel box :lol:.

:wave::clap:
jim

robertsloan2
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Congratulations, Peg! Crossing my fingers on your acceptance, that's so awesome you have them all done. Go you!

Judi, that's so great. Sounds like a good class. Sanded paper's a joy and thumbnails aren't that onerous. I rarely bothered with them in the past but when I make myself do it, they help. It gets me observing more and drawing a bit more accurately when I do them.

Jim! YAY pastel box!

robertsloan2
07-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Missed a day on the dailies but knew that would happen. Wasn't up to second stage Spotlight and forgot to do a cat gesture. Oh well. Bound to happen. Still trying for it more or less.

Mij
07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Well done JudiB on your first lesson. Yes thumbnails are important especially to peeps like me that cannot see the focal point and place it where the greatest contrast lies. Perhaps you see them anyway.

A day missed Robert? Not matter, there are 31 days in this month so plenty more to go.

Tomorrow real life intervenes again and I go to pick up my new glasses. Then it's off to the dental hygenist. Tuesday was portrait class and today watercolour class. I should start on the pastel box again on Friday....

Oh yes I tried fitting a bedroom ceiling fan for SWMBO but it did not work so I had to take it down again Grrrrrrrrr......:crying:
Also the stair lift that stopped working? It needed a new part.....they rang to say that wont be with us this side of next week. So I had to get new handrails for the stairs and fit them so that SWMBO can get to the bedroom/wetroom.
jim

getdusty
07-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Judi, glad the first class went well. I am trying to do more thumbnails and more often than not, I like them better than the painting. What does that tell you?
Robert, hope you are feeling better.
Jim, sounds like there is a lot of stuff taking up your time. Hope the stairlift is fixed sooner rather than later and that you are enjoying your classes.
Got the results of the active member jurying. Turns out that the jurors had decided (in advance) to limit it to only one artist. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered. Off to pick up my paintings this afternoon.

robertsloan2
07-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Peg, that's so frustrating. Sorry to hear it. But you got all those good paintings done, that's not a waste.

Jim, sorry to hear the stair lift, hand rail and ceiling fan are interfering with your pastel box. You are an incredibly handy man.

I'm still sort of overheated and wiped out but might draw later today. Still nothing so far but this could change. It's bright out at least.

Mij
07-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Got the results of the active member jurying. Turns out that the jurors had decided (in advance) to limit it to only one artist. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered. Off to pick up my paintings this afternoon.

The old meanies Peg. I hope you can sell them instead.

The heat got to you as well Robert and wiped you out.
Similar here, it was hot up the steps trying to fit a fan. Then it didn't work. Got my new glasses from the opticians yesterday- plural. As I get older I need a separate pair for each situation. Reading, computer and distance (driving). Missed my dental appointment, forgot all about it because I was watching a DVD. I daresay I'll have to taxi SWMBO to shopping later but hopefully do some more towards this month's goal :angel:.
jim

Judibelle
07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
haha, Jim...., i certainly relate to your glasses problem. I have a pair at every 'station'....like you, I need a separate pair for reading,,distance, and driving....and one pair that encompasses both. But I find it hard to adjust between the 'reading' and the 'seeing at a distance' on that pair.
Rob, hope you are feeling better by now...
Peg..how frustrating! Can you use them in another show?

getdusty
07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I've joined the "glasses everywhere" brigade, too.
Judi, I will enter some of those works in subsequent shows. I can attain "active" status by being juried into four shows in two years. I've already made it into two. Just thought the body of work route would be easier...hahaha
Robert, hope the heat breaks for you. We went through a sweltering period, but the humidity has broken a bit and the days are quite lovely.
Yes, Jim, you are an all-around handy man to have around and soon (maybe) you'll be able to attend to your goals.

robertsloan2
07-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Yay, today the bad days broke enough that I got a stage in on my Spotlight Landscape. It's going to be Very Green. Working out values tomorrow, tweaking and improving them and gradating where needed. It came out right for being a Stage 2.

Jim, you are seriously handy and I hope you got to work on your pastel box today after errands et al.

Peg, I too have joined the multiple glasses group, but I gave up on driving years ago for more than my vision. I moved to San Francisco which has very little parking and the traffic laws are focused on mass transit and pedestrians. IT has good transit including Paratransit (disabled folks short bus). I do have to schedule what I do 24 hours in advance, but, for about what bus fare would be without the disability-senior discount, I can get anywhere on a lift bus and use the power chair when I need to. Versus somehow getting that thing into a vehicle and then around ad back to driver's seat & etc. when chronic fatigue is part of the issue along with overexertion. Then the expense of insurance and paid parking would about equal my rent and be more than I could afford even if insurance went low for Old Fellow No Accidents, Vehicle Not Red Or Sporty.

I haven't gotten around to getting to an eye doctor for prescription glasses. I just got magnifiers from the store. After I Lost them, then lost the replacement ones I bought at Walgreens, I got fed up and ordered a pack of 3 from Amazon. So I've got one pair in my coat, one in my vest pocket, one or two at computer station. Sometimes one of those goes near the bed, depending on reading.

Also I set my Kindle to Very Large Print and love that about it.

The cool thing, though, is that losing some eyesight is also turning me into a better Impressionist. I noodle less on details and paint bold now. When I do put on the glasses and look close, I like all the cool texture effects. Across the room it looks better and better while my super detail old stuff sometimes looks fussy and stiff and may have lousy composition.

There's ways around anything. Pastels beat Colored Pencils Realism for the eyesight thing.

I am pushing sixty and halfway through getting it out of my way! It'll be cool, the Senior Center on my block has an art program and that'll be fun bringing some of the cool WetCanvas stuff offline with new art friends.

getdusty
07-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Mass transit is not so good where I live and things can be quite a distance.
I've accomplished another goal and had to take one off the list. Yesterday I put in the small garden by the goatsbeard.....some varied colors and textures in my plant choices (echinacea, coral bells, ferns, spiderwort and cardinal flower). As for the wildflower patch, I'll have to wait until spring. There's not enough time left in our growing season for seeds to grow and reach maturity and reseed for next year. Goal #1 for next spring.
(Robert, I'm slightly past 60 :) )

Judibelle
07-12-2014, 10:05 AM
LOL Peg...I'm halfway thro the NEXT decade! But still pluggin'...

getdusty
07-12-2014, 09:47 PM
JudiB, "still plugging" is all we can do! :lol:
(62 here)

robertsloan2
07-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Oh cool. Guess I'm just precocious youngster again. I'm good with that.

Yay, managed something today if not Spotlight. Did another Grass demo, this time on how to do the strokes I used to do it. Which were not obvious at all to a beginner and I found out how easily the previous tutorial could be misinterpreted. Also attended a free Johannes Vloothuis class, hung out in chat, watched him paint and thought about Spotlight landscape.

It stood up to the critique checklist better than I thought! Maybe some of what I studied so long sunk in to where it's not conscious. Did help me think of other ways to improve it of course. Fun to do that in mid-painting instead of after I think it's done. I hate reworking after it's done. Would rather start over with another painting.

So today was productive, very. Especially as I had home care come over and needed to focus on something besides art.

Next week will also be Really Hot Days.

San Francisco gets its Dog Days earlier in summer than the other places I lived. It just is like that. August will be much nicer.

Mij
07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Hiya Peg glad to have you in the glasses everywhere brigade, I'm no loner in those things LOL.

Robert, I understand about the magnifiers. The reason I use the opticians is diabetes. I lost a younger brother a few years back and a 75 year old brother a couple of months ago. Both were diabetic the older one through maturity onset. One of the earliest checks for diabetes is via your eyes.

I was about to taxi SWMBO up to her opticians when the fan delivery driver called just as the stair lift man was leaving (well he got it working but the replacement step is the wrong one). Of course he had to take down the hand rails I fitted last week. It has been sweltering here but we did have heavy showers Ė was it yesterday Ė or the day before?
Age? 72 here and yes plugging on is ok Ė it beats the alternative.

I did manage some time on the box today. At this juncture I need to ensure that this half is square with the other half I've done. So I put the bottom (or top whichever- they are exactly alike at this stage) and use it as a template to shave/sand to size. I did cut it oversize for just this purpose. Like wise I cut the lathes oversize and sand down to fit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2014/69634-todays_progress204.jpg

Here you can see the lathes cut and sanded to size and all in a 'G' clamp at this end of the table. The bottom and pressure plate are on the far side. The 1st half is in the middle.

When I wanted to glue the lathes together I found the glue pretty hard to squeeze out of the tube. I may have to get a new tube. It was quite lumpy and I had to use many 'G' clamps to get the first two lathes to stay together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2014/69634-todays_progress205.jpg

It is that wild bunch of 'G' clamps high on the left side with just two of the three lathes for the hinge end of the box.
jim

robertsloan2
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Wow, the pastel box is coming along well! Jim, it's looking good! Thanks for showing your stages on it and processes. I'm really fascinated and think you're doing great with all the clamps. It's probably a good idea to get new glue if it's lumpy, that'd be a serious problem and with all the work you put in on it, better to get the right stuff than be penny wise pound foolish.

Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I've had friends with diabetes and it's hard to live with and manage. I hope you're getting good food at home to help manage it.

Rough about the frustrations with the stair lift, but glad it's working again. Your hand rails did the job when it was down though, that's something good you did for her.

Yesterday was one of those no-art days for me, heat got to me and I slept a lot. Just sort of hit hard by the chronic fatigue and sweated so much it literally dropped off my forehead when I looked down. That tends to startle me more than it would someone that was used to going to a gym. I was like, wow, has to be hotter than I thought. So I don't feel too bad about it. The goal is "health-weather permitting" after all.

Mij
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I am coming back quick on that Robert, it looks as if I've given you the impression that I have diabetes. I do not have diabetes. I am making sure that if I have it (it runs in the family obviously) it will be found at a regular check-up with the opticians at least once a year. We get a free eye test after 65 years of age every 12 months. I have no sugar at all. Well a choccy biccy at break time on Tuesdays at art class, that really minimizes all risks I think.
jim

Mij
07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Just before I posted that one I had a call 'The stair lift has stopped again' So I had to refit the hand rails that the engineer took down this morning!
jim (very p........d off).

Judibelle
07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Dear Jim...So sorry about your stairlift problems. We had one installed for my husband, who used it ONCE to go down to the basement...(it was a lot of trouble transferring him to a wheelchair down there)
.I use it all the time, (my art space is down there), and have never had trouble with it in the 7 years we've had it. Is yours an Acorn?
Wishing you well with the box....looks like a LOT of work...

Just got back from my art class...was interesting today, reviewing warms against cools, etc. and color theory and values...
Did a set-up for for practice...each of us (10 in all) saw it from a different aspect, so each was very different. At the show-and-tell I was embarrassed...mine was the worst! I still haven't conquered the concept of filling in the darks areas first without drawing in everything first....
I sure have a hard time with values, too! Oh well, 6 more weeks to go...

robertsloan2
07-15-2014, 12:45 AM
Jim, glad to hear you're only screening for something you're at risk for. Whew! Rough about having to reinstall the hand rail though. That just bites. Really frustrating what's going on with that stair lift.

Judibelle, don't feel bad about being worst in the class. I love that painting in your signature and you will get it. You'll probably get more out of the class than most. I know what you mean about filling in darks over a detailed sketch, it's such a difficult mental shift to make.

One thing you could try is mapping out those details on a transparency. Sketch in detail with the little areas mapped out within shadows. Then trace it on a piece of clear acetate with a Sharpie or something, vivid dark lines, so you can keep putting it over your painting to see if you got those color shifts in. There are some styles that rest strongly on having a detailed line sketch of every hue and value step even if the transitions will be softened. It's just that working the other way in pastel works faster.

I'm finally starting to get used to it and even at that, after getting back into the Colourful method, I drew too much detail on my Spotlight landscape sketch. In between I've done lots of notans and thumbnails and everything like that. Pastels you can lighten over darks, it really does work, just keep telling yourself that!

Making some progress fighting the heat. I did a page of graphite sketching and my graphite Ari sketches look pretty good - better than earlier pencil drawings by a lot. More fluid and more accurate gestures. I got his fur pretty well, he was scruffy in one and I got the scruffiness. Also did a kneaded eraser and a clear marble on the same page. It's down in my Art Journals thread.

I should probably get a sketch pad sometime and work bigger in charcoal when squeezing in fast sketches, see what I can do in just value but loose and large. I got the giant pad of brown sketch paper and it wouldn't take much to work in both black and white on it...

Mij
07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi there JudiB. Thanks for the commiserations about the stairlift. I know that it's not an Acorn but what ever it is SWMBO got it via a 3rd party advisory service. It costs a lot of money. I reckon that you are paying them in addition to the stairlift peeps.:clear:

I had to have a morning down at Bexhill On Sea. I got back to find the electrician fitting the new fan - and sweating like I did trying to fit the first one. And it worked first time via a remote. It has 3 speeds and off and the light is a dimmer one. It is so quiet and SWMBO is very pleased with it.:clap:

The stairlift engineer is here again, he will have to remove my rails to try it. I hope he refits them when it fails again. =Break=

He has gone and both he and SWMBO tried the stairlift a couple of times to make sure it was working. Yes he removed the handrails I refitted. :clap:

I got some more 'NO MORE NAILS' Robert and whilst it is stiff, there are no lumps in it. I have stuck two sides. Tomorrow morning I have to taxi SWMBO for a bone scan, I might get some more time on the box after. :thumbsup:

The next job is to stick and clamp the other two sides then sand/shave the sides that are already stuck and clamped ATM to an inch depth. :)
jim (Sweltering under a nice cooling fan)

robertsloan2
07-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Wow, great progress on the pastel box! Frustrating about all the other stuff but glad the stair lift's finally working and the new fan helps. I'd be so tempted to get one for this room, it gets very hot in here. I have a small oscillating fan but a ceiling fan is very effective overall. Had one back in Arkansas.

Looking forward to more box photos and progress. Yay for how that's turning out! I think you'll finish it this month!

robertsloan2
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Worked on my Spotlight today, it's Stage 3.1 now with clouds done or Stage 3 - the way I did them it was hard not to treat them as detailed but I was putting them in as color variations from imagination. Shaping them meant including small areas by way of strokes and accents. Eh, it's the sky and that wasn't a mass doing the clouds. I didn't plan them as such to be separate from the sky mass and they're the same value area.

robertsloan2
07-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Did a watercolor pencils demo today before leaving for my appointment, so, daily art is ON again. Might even have more. Might even be pastels since I have 12 Color Conte in my pocket of my vest.

getdusty
07-16-2014, 09:33 PM
JIM, glad to hear that the stairlift is working again and you're making great progress on the box. Amazing how life just gets in the way.
ROBERT, back to daily art....yay!
JUDI, I also have had that "worst in the class" experience. It will come in time and with practice. I take watercolor classes, too, and it's hard switching back in forth....keeping the light from the beginning, laying down the darks...oh my
Just heard that a pastel was accepted into this month's show at Woodstock. Can hardly believe it...

robertsloan2
07-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Purr thank you! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back to my Spotlight. I even ordered a frame for it today, so I'd better do a good job!

Mij
07-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Well done Peg getting one in at Woodstock :clap:.

I saw the tree and leaf tutorial Robert, yes great things this month :wave:. I have a set of inktense pencils/sticks and a water brush in my outdoor kit. It makes for a very light carry Ė pack.

JudiB, you should see my portrait attempts! Worst in the class? Worst in the country more like :clear:. The way that I redeem anything at all is by taking a photo and re-do it using a grid and a proportional divider :lol:. At this juncture I get stymied by 'shall I complete it in acrylics or oils'. Unable to make up my mind over the various advantages I get no farther :lol:.

I did glue two more sides together yesterday and found one side a little too large :angel:. If I cannot reduce it then I'll have to make another Ė start over on that side :). I am limited by the number of clamps involved.

Today's life interruptions - SWMBO has to go and have a bone scan (I had to attach a rope to the up-and-over rear door to enable her to operate it herself), I stay at home awaiting the chair engineer who will hopefully bring the correct foot plate (:rolleyes:) and get the stairlift operating as it should :crossfingers:.
Jim

robertsloan2
07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Jim, good luck on the pastel box! Sounds like you should be able to reduce it though, if a piece is a little large trimming back has to be easier than bulking up something cut too small.

LOL your description of your portrait skills. Don't worry too much, being able to grid and draw puts you up in the stage I was at when I first started selling portraits and the rest does come in time. Might be best to trace and transfer good sketches prepared that way though, then you can do both oils and acrylics and decide which one turned out better on results.

No art yet today and nothing yesterday, heat sluggish and short on body energy. It happens.

Mij
07-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the understanding of my portrait skills Robert. Some tutors teach it assuming we will pick up those skills needed to do it freehand as we go along. Also I am too long in the tooth and experienced as a teacher to be encouraged by the bland comments usually made in the session :lol:.

My gridded portrait of the last model we had has taken over. I drew it on canvas as previous but this time I used a fixative to stop the water in the grey acrylic deleting the drawing. I'm going to follow Mike Skidmore's process on his DVD for the painting. It's only the 19th of the month so quite a few days left for the pastel box. Doing the majority in oils means I will leave it to dry a couple of days anyway. Shall I show it as a WIP on the portrait page?
The stairlift engineer has been and fitted the new footplate. So all is werky-werky at the moment.....:crossfingers:
We had our hottest day yesterday, and this Englishman stayed out of the mid-day sun. In fact watched MS's DVD on portrait painting again with a very English cup of tea under a working ceiling fan :smug:.
jim

Judibelle
07-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Good for you, Jim, taking it easy with a cuppa and a fan....
Rob...glad to hear you are still working each day...
Peg...congrats on getting into the Woodstock show!

I have been doing little studies each day, trying to implement the suggestions from the art class. But practicing on Canson paper isn't quite the same as working on sanded! LOL.. (I hate to waste the sanded on practices....)

ligerwolve
07-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Hello all :) How is everyone?

Just breezing through (my goal is simply to make it through my long list of things :lol: ) but I hope to be organised enough to make next months goal post.

Jim, I am so jealous you can make such lovely boxes. My grandfather could make anything out of wood but I wasn't lucky enough to learn from him before he passed away. Such an amazing and useful skill.

Robert, sending some snowy cold weather your way ;)

Its funny reading peoples ages on forums. Some you can tell and some you are way off! I'm 32 :)

There was more I wanted to say but its past midnight and my brain says its done for the night.

Mij
07-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Hello Janet, nice to hear from you. Well it's 16:00 here in the afternoon so you are sound asleep I expect. But last night we had a thunderstorm so I found SWMBO at 05:00 going around downstairs in her power chair.....she fears the thunder.....
I just made a cuppa and went back to sleep :lol:.

Just tidied up the di.....studio and I am now goofing off on the computer. I cannot be bothered doing anything this weather.
Cor what it was like to be 32! 40 years later I get to do my goals everyday - or not :thumbsup::clap:
jim

robertsloan2
07-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Purr thanks Judibelle! Not quite everyday, heat creamed me today and yesterday and day before. No AC does cut down on production. Why not get some grit primer like Art Spectrum or Golden Pumice Gel and use that on cheap 140lb watercolor pad? Then you'd have sanded practice paper effective for practice for sanded paper work. It's what I've used for practice for years. I use Canson Mi-Tientes when I feel like working on non sanded. Techniques are different.

Janet, purr, maybe it'll even out to "nice moderate San Francisco Bay weather." Very glad to see you again!

Jim, sounds like you've got weather of your own. I used to like thunderstorms, always did, but haven't had one since the move. Something about the coast and city breaks them up. There's rain but not that kind of drama. Sounds like heat followed and it can be an energy sink.

Ah well, goofing off on the computer reading about art improves mine in its own way, it's not wasted time!

ligerwolve
07-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I was still up Jim but decided to post when I was a bit more coherent :lol: Yep while I'm a full time artist I'm also the mum of two small girls and they keep me flat out! Plus I'm under pressure to produce pieces quickly so less time to just paint for me.

Robert the heat gets me here too in the summer. Although I paint late at night so it's not so bad. Which usually means I really enjoy winter but I'm having knee and joint issues so the pain is bugging me quite a bit.

getdusty
07-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Good to hear from you again, Janet. In some ways it's hard to think of winter when we've been going through a pretty hot summer with lots of severe T-storms (Robert) and in other ways it seems like I was just complaining about all the shoveling I had to do as the past winter was quite relentless.
Jim, "tied a rope to the up and over"? I don't know what that means.....Congrats that you are doing portraits; that's something I don't think I will ever get into, but maybe the human figure...at a distance...at a very long distance...lol
Hope you're feeling more energetic, Robert. The heat can just suck the energy right out of you and when there are med/phys issues added in, it's just too much.
Working on a pastel that from the start I have been happy with. Of course there's a lot of time left to botch it up. Also went to ....shhhh...watercolor class. She had us work large, at least 15 x 22 and as I usually work smaller than 9 x 12, that was quite large for me. I loved it! Thinking I may have to work bigger more often. (and the result wasn't too bad, either) So, I am getting some more painting in, one of my permanent goals.

ligerwolve
07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi Peg :) I can understand that. It's usually very hot here and we very rarely get any snow at all. Luckily there is a mountain a short drive from where I live that's been getting 20cm or so here and there so I can take the kids to see it. Mostly we get the cold and sleet that doesn't settle on the ground. Doesn't seem fair :lol: All the cold but non of the fun! When we do get a big enough dump of snow every one just stays home! No shovelling required. Its melted by the next day. The bulbs have started sprouting though so it wont be long now and we will be warming back up.

That's great that you worked outside your comfort zone. I love large scale too. In fact I often lament the fact that velour type papers don't come any larger. Imagine doing a pastel painting of a lion life size! I'm working on a scratchboard myself at the moment that is 24 x 36 inches I think. As usual cursing myself for taking on such a large project :lol:

robertsloan2
07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Oh wow, Janet! That's so cool. I've done big paintings of big cats on velour but it was only 24 x 36" like you said, just that for me that's so freaky huge. I think mat board velour can go to 32" x 40" though. Enormous scratchboard! Wow wow wow.

Yay for the bulbs sprouting and signs of early spring down under!

Peg, wow. I found out why I don't work large when that became a matter of body energy, but I used to and I'd work very loose when I did. There's something about scale that comes into it.

Right now I've got my Spotlight painting calling me and also have some red-yellow freesia looking flowers I salvaged on Wednesday that I'd like to get from life either pastels or watercolor pencils - maybe a WC pencil study today to pastel them later. Time slides out from under me when I get this groggy, days can go by and I have to just let it happen. But I might at least try for the flower sketch if I'm not up to working on the painting.

Still sort of thinking about the stage 3 of the painting, really have to study the reference again for that to find color nuances. Might goof around with a light loose pastel flower though, sketchy. See how I feel a little later on - this is the hot part of the afternoon.

robertsloan2
07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Well, I got in the flowers sketch, both the purple ones that aren't dead yet and the red-orange freesia looking ones, from life from across the room. Posting to my Art Journals thread. So daily art today, yay! Wasn't up to pastel but not bad for doing something on a day that sleep calls so strong!

Mij
07-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Hello Janet, so art and two youngsters means you keep odd hours :). I empathise with the joint pain though as I have it in my knees (over weight really) and wrists/hands.

Peg said >Jim, "tied a rope to the up and over"?<
It was my attempt to describe a tailgate that SWMBO would have to pull down after she had got her power chair out to close the car (she has poor balance and a poorly foot). I do not know what you would call that over your side of the pond. I had to stay at home to see to the stairlift engineer. We had no wish to cancel or re-arrange either appointments.

Robert, it was good for you to do some art today. I took a look at the flowers you did in the journal. They are very good and colourful. I do like that end of the spectrum. A favourite of mine is orange.

I have only ventured with two large paintings and both hide behind furniture waiting for the round tuits to visit again. One is a pastel and is really waiting for the pastel box. Perhaps one day soon....
Meantime I'm goofing off again watching a portrait DVD :lol:.

jim

ligerwolve
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Robert I have a piece of mat board velour sitting next to my desk (a gift from my framer to try out) and its slightly higher than the 36 inch scratchboard but as wide again. So maybe 40 x 40? I'm thinking maybe a wolf on it if I can find the right reference photo. Otherwise I can get some sheets of velour paper for 24 x 40 I think?

My issue with size is I don't scale back the detail. If anything I seem prone to doing close ups and concentrating on each hair.

Jim - Yep kids + art = crazy hours for sure! I work after they go to sleep so usually 7pm - 2am :lol:

I must admit working on such a large scale is an issue when the exhibition is over and I have a house full to the brim!

getdusty
07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Jim, thanks for clearing it up for my muddled brain...tail gate,I guess, or rear hatch/door.
Robert, glad you're getting in some daily art, be it pastels or something else.
Janet, 7 - 2, I understand. Back some 20 yrs ago when my husband (now ex) worked midnight shift, and I worked 9 - 5, I would vacuum and clean and do laundry from 11pm on (luckily the kids would sleep right through it)

robertsloan2
07-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Janet, that is awesome! Velour should be good for your wolf then, because there is some limit to how much detail you can get on velour. 40" square would be so magnificent! I think I have seen super size boards go to 40 x 60" so maybe that's cut down from one. Your idea of working in the middle of the night was great. I did a life study of my red pear (it came with the luncha couple days ago) in Prismacolor Watercolor, tried something a little different and it's up in the same Art Journals thread. So did another daily today even if I didn't get dusty.

Oh boy is it still hot. I kept dozing off during the day while sweating buckets, then got my bath and that felt so heavenly. Room clean, cat sand purchased, butter purchased, powdered iced tea mix not located because for some reason it doesn't come plain any more, just Lemon and Sugar. I hate lemon and don't drink anything with sugar any more, just diet sweetener, switched years ago. No, decades.

Shaggy cat has been sleeping all day but will be rowdy again as soon as the light goes off. He's been intermittently passing through my lap for scritches though every time I sit up, or laying on my arm when I nap. I know it's hot when his cold wet nose is a great relief!

Really ought to do a good serious portrait of him some time, after my Spotlight. Something as good or better than the one in my sig. My package got to Sacramento and it's scheduled to be here tomorrow, which is awesome. I've got frames for last month's fruit paintings and the Spotlight landscape coming plus 12 Primary Terrages and a box of 48 Blick student grade pastels for sidewalk painting. When the weather lightens up I want to go outside next month and do cool things on the sidewalk.

ligerwolve
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Peg isn't it funny, you can vacuum, bang around etc but if you boil the kettle for a cuppa...:lol:

Robert - The velour doesn't slow my obsession for detail down much! :lol: Although the velour is a little different on the mat board. This is a 19.5 x 26.5 -

ligerwolve
07-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Or this one.

ligerwolve
07-23-2014, 10:50 AM
I'd love to see a portrait of him Robert!

Mij
07-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Those are very realistic Janet. That fur looks so real as to be a photo.:thumbsup:
jim

ligerwolve
07-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks Jim :)

The results make the process quite addictive. Every month I start out cursing myself for taking on so much but by the end of the month I have forgotten all about the hard work.

I used to paint very simply in pastel but I longed for more realism. That's when I found Lesley Harrisons book. I've been working at it ever since :)

robertsloan2
07-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Janet, they're beautiful! Both of them! Especially the tiger! Not overdetailed, it's just right as far as detail goes. Love the way the tiger fades off into the darkness as if you're looking at him with a flashlight. I feel like I want to just curl up with him and lean on him in the sleep heap, give him a scritch and cuddle and doze off with him.

I have seen that expression on my Ari and you've got his personality coming through. That's a healthy, happy tiger. So gorgeous. Love the paws. From what you say about them I was half expecting slightly too stiff, overworked animal pieces - wow - instead you have rich detail and a sense of realism without huge painterly strokes but with that same liveliness. Fur textures are fabulous. I feel as if I could reach in and touch either of them.

Of course working large, velour wouldn't slow you down at all! It just sets the scale. Well done!

You've gone better than a photo, all around better than the photo. That's what the best realism does. The detail s there when I look for it, but it flows so naturally that it doesn't disrupt emphasis. Value shifts and focus and drama all keep the composition from being dragged around with too much detail. You beat the camera!

And yes, I must do a good Ari portrait sometime this sommer. Love my fuzzy boy and want him on the wall, also want to seriously try working toward realism with Colourist technique. Start colorful and work toward the many subtle hues of beige involved in that cat's fur.

He's sleeping in one of his many graceful positions at the moment, back turned, ears an accent to the graceful comma and velvety feet sticking out next to the tail tip. I'm always watching him, paying attention to details and forms - and it's hard to see his modeling shadows because of the pattern of his markings.

No art yesterday, but today I will either work on my Spotlight or get up and cut mats. I'm counting Cut Mats and Framing as daily art, it's art-ish.

robertsloan2
07-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Yay, both paintings are now framed! The arrangement on the wall could be a little better, I might ove the bananas up a bit especially when it's time to add the landscape to the arrangement. But it's beautiful. I matted the lemons in white and the bananas in black due to the relative lightness of the lemons painting. Both of them it really worked. I hate white mats, but it really worked for the lemons.

So, that's daily "artish" and after I rest a bit I might even go after my landscape some more. I'm itching to finish it but the frames were stacked up on top of my pastels tray and so were some other pastels, got some tidying up to get done too before I can paint. How did my ever so organized little room get so disorganized?

getdusty
07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Janet, those are beautiful. I can't imagine painting with so much detail.

Mij
07-25-2014, 04:15 AM
I found Lesley Harrisons book. I've been working at it ever since :)

Hmmm which one I wonder? He seems to be quite prolific what with the books, calendars and fitness training for women.
jim

Mij
07-26-2014, 04:42 AM
Real life got in the way again.
I was loading the power chair into the rear of the car when the hoist gave way. I assume it works with a threaded bar of sorts which is not quite up to the job. It strips something and drops the chair to the ground quickly. I moved my foot smartish!
The peeps that fitted it (it did the same thing just inside the warranty last year) said they could get one and do it yesterday. So i went to Eastbourne and it was fitted.
This is not a good year :(!
jim

ligerwolve
07-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Wow thank you for that Robert. That's very kind of you.

Thank you Peg. :)

:lol: The book is "painting animals that touch the heart" by Lesley Harrison Jim. You can see some of her work on her blog www.lesleyharrison.net.

That's no good Jim. Its so disappointing when things like that continue to be an issue. Causes so much stress.

robertsloan2
07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Jim, that's so rough. Seems like it's not your year for equipment. I hope all of it gets resolved soon.

Still plugging away at trying to get to my landscape, versus a stomach bug that's lasted for a week. Pretty frustrating that. Some days I'm up to sketching but I'm stalling out on the painting. I need about two or three good hours of feeling good and no one needing to talk to me and daylight being up to make this happen.

Mij
07-27-2014, 04:50 AM
The book is "painting animals that touch the heart" by Lesley Harrison Jim. You can see some of her work on her blog www.lesleyharrison.net (http://www.lesleyharrison.net).

That's no good Jim. Its so disappointing when things like that continue to be an issue. Causes so much stress.

Thanks for that Janet, it looks like a book I might enjoy.
Yes the hoist costs an arm and a leg and for this to go every 12 months is poor design. It must be English - only we would put up with such rubbish.
Now the ceiling fan in a youngsters room has gone caput. It threw the trip and a second attempt to get it going got sparks eminating from it :eek:. Oh dear, another electrician job. We have SWMBO's grandson and his partner staying whilst he does a years teacher training course in computer science.
jim

Judibelle
07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Oh, Jim....You certainly have been inundated with 'casualties' this month...sure hope things get better for you soon! Rotten luck, for sure!

Lovely work, Janet.
Rob....hope you are feeling back to normal by now. Thanks for the suggestion to use spectrafix on watercolor paper....I have it on my list when I get to town next. (There is an art supply store in the next town over....very convenient.)

robertsloan2
07-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Oooh looking forward to seeing your results with Spectrafix on watercolor paper. This could get interesting. Eh, still got the stomach bug but hopefully weather today will be decent and I'll get some painting in.

Jim, this is getting spooky. Almost like your house is jinxed. This is loony! Though if the hoist is bad design that'd sort of make sense. Really frustrating. Seems now like you've always got something. Little blue men come up from under the basement to go tampering with machines because they're bored or something?

robertsloan2
07-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Big big day! Finished my Spotlight painting and did my version of Jackie Simmonds' demo in the Studio by using my own fruit. Took WIP photos of the fruit thing too so she could see and comment on my stages. I didn't do a background like she did though, would have needed me to find a cloth to rumple under the setup.

Still feel good about it and have it up on my sketchwall now. If I get time and still have energy might go for the peppers in the Spotlight too.

Judibelle
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Congrats, Rob, on finishing the road. a job well done, for sure! It looks great!

Just got home from my class...this time mine wasn't the worst, but far from the best! This time we did a landscape from one of our own photos...mine had a lot of green..... and some water. still needs a little work, to follow up on the instructor's suggestions. (He, by the way,, just got back from a workshop in Vermont with Wm McKinley! Lucky guy....)

getdusty
07-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Jim.
Mother Nature has interfered with me....big time. Bad storm last Wed. with a lightening strike very near. Fried one TV, my cable modem, router and my phones. I have internet (but not wifi...yet) and today my phone service is back (but no voicemail). Had to cancel my watercolor class as I was waiting to hear from the cable people and canceled last week's pastel class because of a medical test. Goals going not so good this month.
Glad to hear you're back painting, Robert.
Judi, hooray for the improvement! Greens can be difficult. Richard McKinley has a blogpost about greens and violets and oranges. (I'm on a waiting list for his workshop in Sept, about 30 miles away from my home)

Mij
07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Well done on finishing your spotlight Robert. That is really good, you have a very colourful picture. It all matches so well :thumbsup:.
jim

robertsloan2
07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Judi, you should post it on the Spotlight! I would love to see it, that sounds like it's lovely if it's got lots of green and some water. My favorite kind of landscape! Sounds like you're improving in that class, somewhere between best and worst is where most artists are in a group. Certainly where I am most of the time.

Or if not in the Spotlight, post it on Studio & Gallery. Ask for critique if you're not happy with it. I even broke my habit today of "carry critique forward to the next one" and reworked my fruits still life. Fortunately the fruit I ate didn't need the reworking, only the shadows did. The nectarine and one of the bananas are but a pleasant memory except for the art.

robertsloan2
07-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Purr thanks, Jim! So glad you like my landscape. Got one more leetle change and itís done.

Peg, yikes, thatís nasty with all those electronics frying out. Life happens. I didnít make most of my goals either.

No blog, Daily art technically because sick days didnít count, but less than half the days in the month. I should add it up really. Plein air might happen tomorrow, but I didnít get to either of the class exercises in Still LIfe the Colourful Way that I wanted. Sidetracked by Spotlight.

Still, I got more done than before so Iím happy about that! And the month isnít over, quite. Wednesday is still within July so I might get a plein air in. Does ďfruit drawn from life indoorsĒ count? Maybe half a point, itís life drawing anyway!

getdusty
07-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Robert, great job on the spotlight. Interested to see if the bluing of the distant trees is the answer to the end of the road.

Mij
07-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Jim.

Thanks for the commiserations Peg.

Mother Nature has interfered with me....big time. Bad storm last Wed. with a lightening strike very near. Fried one TV, my cable modem, router and my phones. I have internet (but not wifi...yet) and today my phone service is back (but no voicemail). Had to cancel my watercolor class as I was waiting to hear from the cable people and canceled last week's pastel class because of a medical test. Goals going not so good this month.

Sorry to hear about all that Peg. I always shut everything off and unplug at the wall when we realise a storm is coming. We do see them coming and see the flashes of lightening way south of us. We had neighbours that lost their modem year after year because of it. And you had to miss an art class because of it as well. Mind you we may have just been lucky.....don't speak too soon...
It is still too hot here to do much. Im goofing off on the 'pooter and SWMBO is scrabbling away on her ipad downstairs.

Robert, I'll have a look around to see your latest.
jim

ligerwolve
07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks Judi :)

Jim maybe you have my problem. A friend of mine swears I have some kind of weird magnetic field that kills all electrical things nearby. :lol: I walk into the room and his computer would just shut down.

Well done Robert on finishing your piece! I think that's the best part, sitting back and taking in the finished work. Just need to finish this lion I'm working on. I have so much on at the moment its taking forever and I just want to get it done.

Wow Peg that must have been quite the storm!

Judibelle
07-29-2014, 12:07 PM
LOL Janet...I have a similar problem in that I 'break' watches every time I try to wear one, and have make a light flash on by touching with my hand when walking with slippers. Too much electricity, for sure!

Peg...Really sorry to hear of your electrical-storm problems! We had 3 terrific
storms pass through yesterday...lots of flooding on the roads coming back from my class, but fortunately no electrical problems in you area....

Robert, I need to work on my landscape a bit more, but may try to post it in the studio, if I can figure out how to do it with the new computer and printer I have.....haven't been able to figure it out yet....it's quite different from my old setup...

robertsloan2
07-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Janet, Jim, Peg... yeah, I've been lucky since I moved. There are no storms as such in San Francisco. When it rains it's sort of lazy and undramatic. Gets windy sometimes but that doesn't jack with electronics or start fires.

My only problem with electronics is beating laptops to death by excessive typing, literally wearing out all the moving parts.

Yay Judi, can't wait to see it. I hope you do find a way to get a good photo or scan and upload it. There should be a way to upload from your computer, whether mac or pc.

No art yet today but a Huge Artish Thing that wasn't on the list. Cleaning and Sorting supplies, books and assorted pads and sketchbooks. I had this pile of books, sketchbooks, pastel pads and supplies stacking up and up till it was about elbow height next to me. I've got a stack of plastic tubs with the top one a sort of one-drawer unit next to me to put coffee on and that kept sliding farther away from the lamp as I jammed more books and sketchbooks and pads between them. About a year's accumulation of Drop Spot... and today with my home care guy, we went through the Whole Stack sorting into trash, books/magazines, sketchbooks/journals, pads, pastels, other supplies and other stuff. Broke down and put away everything in that stack. Which means that with the walker parked in front of the stack of tubs, there's now a huge chunk of floor space and the walker's close enough to put my pastels on while painting.

Until today I was mostly putting whatever pastels were in use on top of that stack hoping it wouldn't all fall down. Which it did occasionally.

So now it'll be a lot easier to paint and there's more floor space making it easier to get around the room.

I've had visits from building inspectors and a representative of the company who's buying the building. Happily I fall under rent control so this should not disrupt my life. But they all kept coming in and looking around like this was some sort of weird zoo exhibit. Wow there's a lot of stuff, but, it's all organized, but, this guy's disabled and poor, but, it's all clean, wait a minute that's really good art on the walls, but he's poor and disabled, huh whaaa? I could see the confusion throughout the visits like they didn't know whether to look down on me or not. It was really funny in one way and sad in another.

I used to get that look all the time in years past too, it was worse before I got the Kindle. They'd see all the books and just go bonkers, it was inconceivable anyone had that many books, would ask if I'd read them all, that sort of thing. I just break stereotypes even if I am one. It's San Francisco, isn't that where scruffy old hippie artists live?

getdusty
07-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Robert, I love breaking stereotypes. Like my music choices. Had an auto service guy get in my car and when I started it up, he was amazed at the CD I had playing...kept saying "this is your daughter's music, right?"
I've never had a problem with storms and my electronics; have everything plugged into surge protectors. Was really strange what was affected and what was not and none of my neighbors had any problem at all.

robertsloan2
07-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Oh, that is always fun! Yep. Great story about the music. I've done that too, though for me it's that my daughter did introduce me to a lot of good music and still does. She'll play things I never heard and I'll grow to like them and there it happens.

Yeah, I use surge protectors too. It varies with how the lightning interacts with your power and whether it's just a surge or really goes through your system. Phones on land lines are subject to it too.

Yesterday was artish - sort and clean my supplies that were at my elbow. The most used ones are still in reach and handy, but no longer creating what was nearly a virtual bookcase as the pile grew and grew. Today, I'm going out at noon thirty to get my shot at the clinic. I rescheduled my return ride for an hour later so that I can go in the garden and paint with pastels. I'm going to pack along pastels supplies too, maybe even grab the pack of sanded paper and do something cool on sanded paper. I've got an hour and I did pack good pastels in the backpack.

Terrages of course are going with, but I've also got a few Senneliers and a dozen Winsor Newton half sticks. Though if I use the Terrages, I don't need the sanded paper, might leave that home.

robertsloan2
07-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Did my plein air but have to finish at home from the photo, van came early. Too tired to photo and post, so will see you tomorrow! Hope everyone's arting and enjoying end of month!

I guess it counts getting out to do it, plein airs don't have to come out GOOD, just be done outside!

Mij
07-31-2014, 02:29 AM
It must be nice to still enjoy your music Peg, I find today's stuff too much for my ears LOL.

Robert you was 'artish'? Tidying and arranging the arty area pays dividends when it comes to be used. Everything is where you expect it to be. Well so was I, I was reading, talking and thinking about it all day :lol:. Did nothing though :cat:.

It is early morning here and I have been reading the mail since 05:30. It was uncomfortably hot in the bed even with the overhead fan going, so got out and had a read of the overnight accumulated mail/forums.
Later I must clear the art st......dining room as son DIL and boys are coming over on Saturday, before their holls on Saturday the 9th.
It is the 31st today the last of this month. The time has flown by. I might squeeze in some more time on the pastel box today. Perhaps I'll put up the 'redrawn' portrait of the last model as well.
Jim

Judibelle
07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Well, here it is the end of the month already....can't believe how fast the time goes these days... But I Did do a lot of art stuff this month...the class has been very inspiring so far, and has got me doing more 'practice' stuff. Nothing to show yet, though....maybe next month....

Mij
07-31-2014, 12:04 PM
It's also the end of the month here JudiB. Yes it has gone quick and I haven't done as much as I intended.
Robert has done better than he thought I believe haven't you Robert? Well you did some fruit, a spotlight of a road which went well and a couple of tutorials in your journals.
A lot more than me.
Peg has had the gremlins in the electrics.
Janet was engrossed in a lion so I hope we get a url when that goes up.
I am being hauled off to the supermarket in a minute to avoid Friday weekenders, this afternoon's mums with after school kids in tow and before the workers finish work. SWMBO avoids crowds especially with her broken toe sticking out in front of her power chair. She reminded me it has been 12 weeks since it was broken and it is still swollen.
So no more on the box this month, and nobody wants to swap dvds on swapshop.
Ah well roll on next month....
jim