PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble July 2014

Shirl Parker
07-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

artNmeR1
07-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Hi Shirl and everyone!
I'm trying to think of a blockbuster pastel painting for the pastel international in Morro Bay that's coming up.

norskgal
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Jeannie ...I just checked out your website and WOW. IMO you will have NO trouble creating a blockuster. Love Morro Bay, so you will be in a plein air paradise.

robertsloan2
07-02-2014, 08:33 AM
That sounds really awesome! I'm up early today and will be going out this afternoon for an appointment, so I might get more rose photos or something. Maybe even sketch in the garden depending on how fast it goes. I give myself an extra half hour to get back in case they're slow, so I might have enough time for something interesting. Hopefully in pastels. Packing pastels stuff in my backpack just in case.

norskgal
07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
YAY ... My Faber Castell water soluble graphite pencils were just delivered from Amazon. Ripped open the pkg and grabbed a sheet of white paper. Scribbled a bit and used the brush to blend. I am thinking that this will be the perfect solution for quick sketches and comp studies on the fly. I am frequently waiting in line for a ferry and these will be a easy thing to pull out and use the time productively.

I have tried tombow pens for sketching. Although they blend with water nicely they bleed too much through the paper of sketchbook. This graphite won't bleed through, but they seem to blend nicely. Now to add a small watercolor palette in my bag and I'm good to go.

I am experimenting on a way to help my art by finding ways to work and study in short bursts. Always open to ideas from anyone too.

robertsloan2
07-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Oh that rocks! I love watersoluble pencils, graphite or color, for sketching on the fly. It's affected my sketching style and speeded it up wonderfully. Agree on blending Tombow pens with water, that would soak through way too much though I do like sketching with brush pens. For soft transitions, a watersoluble dark line and a waterbrush are probably the fastest, most convenient thing available.

If you don't have a waterbrush, the Niji ones are available at both Blick and Jerry's Artarama. Those, Sakura and Derwent are my three favorites, sturdy, have good points and shape and good flow without leaking.

I like all the watersoluble sketching media. Derwent Graphitints, ArtBars, Inktense, watercolor pencils and the woodless ones. Woodless ones are good because I lay the point on its side and can cover large areas with color for big washes, just going lightly and get a smooth wash.

norskgal
07-03-2014, 02:08 AM
Thanks Robert ... I wasn't aware of the Derwent Graphitints or Inktense. I checked them out online and think that the Inktense ones are just what I need for my summer sketching. Maybe summer sketches can turn into references for winter pastel works. The water soluble graphite pencils came with a nice little brush. I am just about set to go.

robertsloan2
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh excellent! That's where I got my Derwent waterbrush, it was in a zippered kit of 12 Derwent Graphitints. Theirs has a great brush and a slightly different ginger-jar shaped reservoir that holds maybe a teaspoon more water, also it's a touch more esthetic than the cylindrical Niji without being hard to hold since it's a flattened ginger-jar shape.

Inktense are wonderful for sketching. They get very intense and once washed are not watersoluble again, so glazing color over color is easy - provided you don't use heavy marks that don't dissolve completely. Go lightly with the Inktense, a little goes a long way. They also make gorgeous vivid underpaintings. A set of 12 or 24 is enough for those purposes. 36 fits nicely into one of the canvas wraps, either the Derwent one or the much cheaper Niji one that Blick has. I bought a bunch of them so that I'd have my 36 Prismacolor watercolor pencils and my pastel pencils handy in my backpack when I go out. That's paid off in a big way.

For sketching, a canvas wrap seriously helps. I use my pastel pencils a lot more with them in a type of case that's easily carried.

CM Neidhofer
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
I finally got my little newspaper blurb as Featured Artist at the art center! As well as another inside the paper! Very happy!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2014/40633-July_Featured_Artist2_2014.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2014/40633-July_Featured_Artist_2014.jpg

robertsloan2
07-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Congratulations! That totally rocks. Clippings are so cool too, you can keep and enjoy them. That is so totally fantastic for you. I like the choice of paintings they put in too, some things come through well in black and white and low resolution. Well done!

I'm being a bit sluggish lately, it's hot here in San Francisco. We hold August in July, so it's the middle of dog days. Cat's been draped around the room laying in silly poses. I knew it was hot when I saw this!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2014/70184-7-2014_Silly_Ari.jpg

He never lays on his back! Other cats do but this is the first time I've seen him do it. He likes to lay right side up or on his side, but today was the full flat on his back silly sprawl moment captured. It gets cooler for him near the door because the hallway's cooler than my room. There are hot water pipes running through one wall of my room that make it really hot on the coldest days and it gets rough on hot days sometimes - and sometimes not, it may depend on how many people take showers?

But we're happy and had a quiet lazy Sunday.

Potoma
07-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I have not been painting nearly enough, so I have been coming here again for your inspiration and joy. I am sure it will translate to positive things here!
Bonnie

robertsloan2
07-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Purr hi Bonnie! So glad to see you! Ari sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration.

That photo was a temporary aberration. Happy to say that Ari Cat is right side up now in brick position, swiveling his pretty head to listen to the neighbors. Heat wave's making them unusually vocal.

Potoma
07-21-2014, 10:54 PM
I am allowed to live in this house with five kitties. At the moment, I have the couch to myself. Oftentimes, I have four or five here with me. Have you seen the Facebook meme about defending yourself against zombies with whatever you have directly to your left? Invariably, my answer is a cat, which isn't all that bad!

robertsloan2
07-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Aww that's wonderful! You've got an entire cat community there! Nice that they include you - and that's probably the best thing to reach for if fighting zombies. Except that I'd be defending the cat.

I'd be in bad shape for that meme considering my cane and anything else solid I could fight with is to my right. A plastic ashtray or a little votive candle wouldn't do much. And I'd be trying to protect my cat. (To his credit it would probably be mutual.)

robertsloan2
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Yay, just got my two good Spotlight paintings from last month framed. My package from Blick came yesterday, oh great joy of joys.

I've got pavement pastels, a 48 color set of Blick student grade cheap ones, which are very nice for student grade cheap ones and the box is much more convenient than the Alphacolor sort of thing. Plus I've got 12 new Townsend Terrages that I really want to try on Mi-Tientes but can't let myself go playing with those till I finish the really nice Spotlight landscape I've got in progress. I goofed up on it some - looking at what I started to do to the foliage, it could be vastly better than that in both texture and color choices. But looking at it for days may improve it too.

But after all that work what I feel like doing is something simple and stupid easy that I could finish really fast while sitting down instead of clearing up and getting out the right pastels to work on this stage of the good landscape...

Shirl Parker
07-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20168044#post20168044)