PDA

View Full Version : ARTiculAction Art Review

corné akkers
06-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Hello,

Do any of you have experience with this online art magazine: ARTiculAction Art Review? They asked me for an interview and publication of some of my works.

Here's their link: http://articulaction.yolasite.com/

They asked me to pay them (through PayPal) an amount of € 25,-- but I haven't received a normal invoice (c.o.c.-number, address, etc.). The reason for this is:

"As for the other details, as C.o.c.-number and VAT-number, actually we receive just such small donations since our project is a not profit and not-commercial one, we haven't such references one and the contributions serves basically to pay the storage fees of the servers that permanently hosts the published article."

The online magazine seems real though and has been quoted by other artists online.

Best Wishes and looking forward to your responses,

Corné

*Deirdre*
06-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Corné, I have moved this to our talk section, but don't worry I have left a redirect!

As to your question, and my personal view. I would not pay to have my works and interview in any magazine....they should be the one to pay you!!

corné akkers
06-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Thank you Deirdre!

RickinNM
06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
I know very little of the art business . But my mother was a writer for several magazines and was a contributing editor at 1. When she was doing it the interviews the magazine paid a fee to the person being interviewed or just did the interview . She never asked for payment from the person being interviewed nor did the magazines .

Maybe times have changed and art business is different than news, old west, treasure, dog shows and AKC magazines.

I lean to scam is my thought.

Davkin
06-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Unfortunately many of the "articles" in art collector magazines are paid for by the artist, so it's not really an unusual thing. It seems to be opposite from most of the publishing world.

David

corné akkers
07-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks you all. I'm still considering their offer. I'm in doubt still because on the one hand it offers new publicity for a wide audience (if so), on the other hand I'm against paying others to enable them to show content to their readers.

allydoodle
07-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't pay anyone for an interview, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'd be careful about giving my credit card information to them, it's just not sitting right with me.....

westcoast_Mike
07-01-2014, 05:26 PM
You are basicaly paying to get into their online magazine. I suppose doing so is cheaper than self publishing. I doubt if it will get you much wider exposure tha doing so.

corné akkers
07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I've decided. I don't want to do it. It's a matter of principle, I guess. I am an artist, entrepreneur and I shape the world around me according to the rules I want to make. Getting asked for an interview / publish work and then have to pay for it, is not the way I want to grow, I think.

*Deirdre*
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Good! Now you can spend the money you saved by not supporting them, and put it towards more productive use...new pastels maybe? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2014/33616-37258-23460-smiley_devil.gif :lol:

corné akkers
07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
For sure, some american brands like Mount Vision or Jack Richeson. Legendary to me.