PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to you?

LeC
06-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I just recently used a piece of professional grade Wallis sanded paper for the first time. (Usually use UArt instead.) I applied a watered down acrylic under painting to the surface. But the top sanded layer started peeling off at the corner. I'm not sure why this has happened and wondered if anyone else has had this issue? I've read such great reviews on how tough and versatile this paper is. It was an old piece of paper that had been sitting in a studio for several years untouched. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

westcoast_Mike
06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
I've had a mounted sheet I bought dcome off the the board it was mounted on. But never had a sheet itself delaminate on me. I've done underpaintings on Wallis using watercolor, as well as using turp to do a wash with pastel. I've also seen under paintings done with thined down oil oaint. The only caveat I ever recall on Wallis (and it may not be specific to them) is not to use the 'Green' (synthetic) turp.

robertsloan2
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
The "Green" synthetic turp is not a paint thinner, it's a cleanup solvent. I bought some with the intent of having a safer product to clean up my oil painting with, but then found out that it can't be used to dilute paint more than 25% so it's no good for fragrant, non toxic washes. I went back to the regular Turpenoid, that's what the "Green" synthetic turp is. It's a citrus based solvent good for cleaning up oil painting smears but it won't actually let you do washes the way real turps or odorless mineral spirits will.

I've never had Wallis delaminate on me but there's an exception to everything, I guess. If it's old it may have had something spilled on it and then dried off, that weakened the bond?