PDA

View Full Version : Jasper - Critique Welcome

Flitterby
06-25-2014, 09:51 AM
In ArtRage - one of my cats, Jasper. The 2nd using the same sketch but with a watercolour look.

LavenderFrost
06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Nice work, I especially like the first one. I just wonder if we should be able see a bit of the pupil in his eye.

Flitterby
06-25-2014, 09:50 PM
I felt the pupil should be seen but in the photo I took, it wasn't evident - I should have taken some artistic licence. :)

b'anna
06-28-2014, 03:30 PM
These are both great! I like the illustrative feel in the second and the first feels like soft pastel. Great work on both of these.
Barb

Flitterby
06-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

Elainepsq
06-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Both of these are very nice. One thing bothers me on the second one thou.... You didn't paint the neck of the cat on the left. It kinda divides the canvas up into thirds. The left 2/3 has a lovely painting, and the right 1/3 is just blank.
I like the close crop, it gives it a sense of intimacy, however, one thing that I learned in photography is that there is something weird and disturbing about photographing a floating head. Picture a person in a black turtleneck on a dark background- if you don't see a little detail in the collar it just looks like a floating head. I kinda get the same sense here, it seems like just a few lines to indicate the rest of the cat. In the first version you have a streak of white that seems to indicate white fur on his chest?
But overall, they both have a really nice softness to them, and the cat is rendered very well.

Flitterby
06-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Thank you very much for the thoughtful critique - I don't know why I didn't paint the neck. My only excuse is that these were among my first attempts. The white is supposed to indicate a shiny metal tag on his collar. :)