PDA

View Full Version : Black ink

Foxyheart2002
06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
I keep running out of Ampersand black ink because of the small bottles. So, I went ahead and got a large bottle of super black Speedball India Ink.

I don't know how it will work out because after I had used it (diluted somewhat) I noticed that the bottle says it contains Shellac. I have no idea how this will work out on the stuff I have done already, but now I am leery of it.

Anyone else notice shellac in other brands?

scratchmaster
06-24-2014, 07:26 PM
I think the benefits of shellac would be durability and resistance to moisture. The downside would be shine.

lorna12
06-25-2014, 02:42 AM
I wonder how it will be to re-scratch? I use Higgins Brand Black India ink. Says pigment based drawing ink on the box. I ad a drop or two of Ampersand's blue ink to get rid of the brownish cast. Works pretty well.

Harry Seymour
06-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Sue, a few years ago I bought the same super black and tried it but did not like it. I don't remember the specifics as to why I did not like it but somehow I recall it was thicker than what I wanted. Perhaps, diluting it can work.

Diana Lee
06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I wonder how matte finishing spray would react to the shellac?

Diana

hectorstudio
06-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Lorna, do you add the couple of drops of blue to the bottle of black ink? or to the diluted solution?

Foxyheart2002
06-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks, everyone for your comments. Diana, that is what I was thinking.

Diana Lee
06-27-2014, 01:37 AM
You can buy just the black ink from ampersand. I order it 5 bottles at a time.

Diana

txartist50
06-29-2014, 10:46 PM
To Ms Lee
May I ask where you buy just the black ink,at the Ampersand website it says not sold seperatly? or perhaps I misread that?
Thank You in adavance....Brett

Foxyheart2002
06-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Last year they only sold the color paks. Are they selling just the black now? I told their rep it would be a good idea as we all need more of the black.

scratchmaster
06-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Last year they only sold the color paks. Are they selling just the black now? I told their rep it would be a good idea as we all need more of the black.

Elaine Salazar from Ampersand gave a presentation at the ISSA show and that was one of the questions. She indicated that they would be willing to work with someone who wanted to buy the ink separately, or in larger quantities. I can't remember the name of the girl she said to talk to. I would call Ampersand and ask them what they are willing to do.

Diana Lee
06-30-2014, 02:46 PM
I always just called and asked if I could buy the black. They would ask how many and I usually went for half a dozen bottles. I didn't know it said anything on their site about it.

Diana

DocBoots
06-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Try talking to Andrea Pramuk at Ampersand. Stephanie Ford gave me her name as a contact for getting bulk ink (pint bottles) within the past year. I thought I might try to do get some that way when I'm in North America next.

I've used speedball for corrections in the past but I find it doesn't scratch off the same as Ampersand ink or the original ink on black boards (it took more force to scratch, though maybe that's just how I applied it). I will use it alone (ie if blocking black over part of a whiteboard or something) but I don't like to use it for repairs on a black board because of that difference in scratching 'resistance'. I've not had any issues with spraying it that I can recall though.

~ Boots