PDA

View Full Version : watercolor abstract paintings

rapolina
03-02-2000, 11:04 AM
I'd like to paint abstract paintings with watercolors, I love wet-into-wet and I suppose this can be a suitable tecnique for that, but my experiments aren't satisfactory. Can you explain me the key to approch abstract watercolor paintings? Any hints&tips?
thank you, rapolina

msue
03-02-2000, 10:15 PM
For me the key to my abstracts is a good color wheel. You have to be aware of colors that blend well together or you mostly get "mud". Try spattering with a loaded brush, pouring, and placing crumbled plastic wrap, tissue, whatever looks interesting on the wet paint and let it dry. Lift off and see what emerges.

jenny5309
03-22-2000, 01:47 PM
I work in watercolour, creating abstract work. Check out my website, www.jenniferseymour.com (http://www.jenniferseymour.com)

The most important things to keep in mind, I've found, are the actual pigments of the paints you're using. Certain colours in watercolour are more opaque than other and do not mix as well for wet into wet techniques. A book that helped me is "Making Colour Sing" by Jeanne Dobie. Good luck...experimentation is the key!

cagathoc
03-23-2000, 07:35 PM
Jenny - your paintings are georgeous!

I recommend 3 books by Jeanne Carbonetti: The Tao of Watercolor, The Zen of Creative Painting and The Yoga of Drawing. They're wonderful for beginners and intermediate artists alike. It's full of good info, interesting, lots of georgeous paintings and exercises. The work is quite abstract - your site reminded me of the books Jenny.

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

jenny5309
03-24-2000, 02:06 PM
Thanks Cindy!

It's wonderful to hear feedback from fellow artists...I will definitely check out those books. Thanks for the suggestions!

jen

Rod
03-30-2000, 05:07 AM
I have a demo using crumpled plastic sheets for texture, may be some help,
Rod
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/RodWebbTexture/index.html

rapolina
04-07-2000, 04:41 AM
thank you to everyone for your suggestion, I tryed and succeed in something nice. Surely I have to practise more!
anyway, I studied a lot the characteristics of the pigments in the watercolors on my palette -staining/non-staining, transparent/opaque- and it results very usefull. I eliminate any opaque color and any color composed by more than one pigment - Colors result more vivid and never fall to mud!
bye, rapolina