PDA

View Full Version : A Grey and Grizzly Day - Finished

SandeVBL
06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2014/1734759-AGreyAndGrizzlyDay_sm.jpg
I guess I didn't post this one on this site along the way.
Title: A Grey and Grizzly Day, 9x12" on white Claybord colored with Ampersand inks.
My husband and I watched this bear amble along the beach at Yellowstone Lake a few years ago. We were up on a small bluff about 15 feet above the beach. The bear was not paying any attention to us until some crazy lady next to me yelled "Hey Bear!" very loudly. He looked up and I snapped the photo - then I took off for the car. Good thing he didn't follow - I didn't have the keys. But I got a nice photo. I have a companion photo to this in a totally different pose that I also hope to do.

Foxyheart2002
06-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Wow, great shot, Sandra!! I love this!

VENKAT
06-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Excellent rendering in colour . Great work on the background , not many attempt to do .
Venkat

jonc50
06-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Nice work! Nice subject matter!

Jon C.

Trilby
06-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Bear and background both are so well executed. Great story on the capture of the photo.
TJ

SandeVBL
06-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Thank you, Sue, Jon, and TJ.
Venkat, I know what you mean about backgrounds. I tried to find a variety of examples of scratched water before I began this and found a few, but not too many. With the white boards though it just seems right to me to do the background. Got to fill up all that white space, right? :)

nelvia
06-25-2014, 08:50 AM
This turned put so well. Dumb question, but am struggling with the white board, did you put color first and then scratch, and keep adding color. Am trying that but it looks plumb awful. Congrats too on the very real background. Glad you could run fast!!

SandeVBL
06-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi Nelvia, I did a tracing with chalk then washes, some light, some darker, with the Ampersand black. Then I did some scratching, always adjusting the values to match the photo as much as possible. Then I added light washes of the ampersand inks and scratched more. There were several layers of color in some places - put it on, take it off, put it on...
Hope that helps. I wish I would have taken more step by step photos, but I only have one at about the half way point. I've seen some people write about the 'ugly stage' in scratchboard. For me, I see it more on the white boards than the black. Just press on til it's pretty again!
(And I REALLY don't run fast so it was a good thing the bear stayed on his course! :) )
Sande