PDA

View Full Version : Boat on lake shore

LavenderFrost
06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
A guy I do some typing for asked me to make a drawing of a boat on a lake. I worked on it all afternoon yesterday while I had some time to myself and he already picked it up today, so I didn't even really have time to contemplate it. It is what it is. Not sure if he was really happy with it but he payed for it. Actually, even I had a different idea in my head but couldn't find the right reference. I used one that I found on Paint My Photo. Thinking about it later I realized that I could have made things so much easier on myself if I just tried to do something with a distant shore.

Those trees made my fingers go numb lol. I cheated a little by copying and pasting the trees for the reflections. It was all done in Painter 12 with the airbrush and printed about 5x8".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2014/104871-Boat518x800.jpg

b'anna
06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Michelle, This is fabulous! Love the pencil look.
Barb

Lucy-Foote
06-20-2014, 02:19 PM
This very nice , except for no reflection of the boat in the water. I think if you have had more time to study it, you would of noticed it also. If he was happy with it, that's good too.:)

Lucy http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2014/70668-a_Foote_icon_sm.JPG

Lucy-Foote
06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
I just looked at your boat again, and it does show the reflection..sorry about that. It needs more defination, some lines in the water to separate it. I guess in the grey scale it don't show up very good.

Lucyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2014/70668-a_Foote_icon_sm.JPG

LavenderFrost
06-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Thank you Barb and Lucy. Yeah, I just made it dark where the boat meets the water.

geopaint
06-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Nice.

PeriSoft
06-23-2014, 07:23 AM
I actually like it a lot. The contrast and high frequency / detail are really nice; it has a surreal quality that I appreciate. The only thing I'd change is to have a simple edge instead of the fuzzy border, but I eschew such things to the point of obsession so that's really just personal taste.

Do you tend to work with a lot of different sizes / opacities of airbrush, or do you just pick something and go with it?

Elainepsq
06-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Looks great! I can see a lot of work went into this, and I'm sure it was appreciated!

LavenderFrost
06-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Thank you geopaint.

Thanks Peri. I went with the fuzzy edge because it was just being printed on a half sheet of card stock to go with the poems I type for him and it seemed like a good idea. With the airbrush in Painter I vary the opacity and size quite a bit. I find their airbrush is quite heavy compared to other programs. In the past I would put it down to around 50% for soft transparent shading but in Painter I put down as low as 8% and go up to around 30% for more solid painting. I also use the soft blender stump a lot. I also forgot that I used a spatter brush on the ground too. I probably used the detail oil brush as well, that's the one I use when I want a solid coverage with smooth edges.

Thank you Elaine!

jocko500
07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
really good work. he got his money worth

LavenderFrost
07-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you jocko.