PDA

View Full Version : Vermeer remastered - The Geographer

Paul88
06-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone!
Ive started ambitious project to remastered series of Vermeers paintings i most like. This is the first one. Size 45x50 cm.
I did not study vermeers technique, do not need to be 100% accurate.
My progress will be 4 or more layers - umbra, dead, 1st color, 2nd color, details, hope it will be work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2014/976538-DSC_0003.jpg

Dana Design
06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
An ambitious project and I'm sure you'll excell at it. I'll be following along.

There is a new movie just released called "Tim's Vermeer". Lots of information on it if you Google it. Looks very interesting!

bruin70
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone!
Ive started ambitious project to remastered series of Vermeers paintings i most like. This is the first one. Size 45x50 cm.
I did not study vermeers technique, do not need to be 100% accurate.
My progress will be 4 or more layers - umbra, dead, 1st color, 2nd color, details, hope it will be work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2014/976538-DSC_0003.jpg

what are you trying to accomplish with the copy

Paul88
06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
what are you trying to accomplish with the copy

Ive just started with oils this year, so. First months i did series of colorcharts, color theory, layering theory, history of painting supplies etc. and now i feel im ready to do some practice and what the best start i can do than just copy what i love and want to hang on my walls :) Thats why its an ambitious cause i dont like to make tons of practice paintings i want picture to look at.

So reason is to learn to paint i think. Many people here paint the milkmaid whitch i want to paint too, that why ive statred with another theme from Vermeer. Maybe you know there is a pair of these The Geographer and The Astronomer. Last one will be masterpiece The Art of Painting. All these will be in aprox. scale in cm.

Paint exactly the same technique what Vermeer did is impossible cause you need same pigments and so on. I use just Winton oils, not profesional colors.

I hope it will be lots of fun to do.
Maybe one day i will see originals in museums.

Paul88
06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
An ambitious project and I'm sure you'll excell at it. I'll be following along.

There is a new movie just released called "Tim's Vermeer". Lots of information on it if you Google it. Looks very interesting!

Ive seen on some trailers on youtube. Awesome! Exactly Vermeer was a geek and thats why he is so cool.

joshuaw
06-27-2014, 09:00 PM
what did you do to transfer the image or outline to canvas?

Paul88
07-06-2014, 12:46 PM
what did you do to transfer the image or outline to canvas?

Tracing method via carbon paper and for certain things i use measure tool looks like compasses